Visualization Exercise - Please Try This

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
razz

Visualization Exercise - Please Try This

Post by razz » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:28 am

May I recruit a few of you as subjects for a informal experiment?

Without your guitar, visualize playing a C major scale starting on the 5th string using Segovia's pattern. Just think of the first octave.
As your visualize your left hand on the neck of the guitar also visualize the position of the note on the staff. Do not name the note. Just try to see the position on the staff as you visualize your left hand playing the guitar. [Substitute right hand for left hand if you play left handed]

Repeat this process with D major scale. Start on the same string. Use the same pattern, one octave.

Tell if you notice any, note to left hand finger position combinations, that are easier or more difficult to visualize.
[note to right hand if you play left handed]
I don't want to bias your response by telling you what I noticed.

I'm off to a remote cabin in Vermont for a about a week. I will read responses if I find Internet access or after I return.

Many thanks!

Stephen Taylor

Re: Visualization Exercise - Please Try This

Post by Stephen Taylor » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:00 pm

razz,
I tried your experiment a few times. I did not notice any note-to-left hand finger combinations which were difficult to visualize.
It will be interesting to see other responses from a cross section of other players.
Doesn't everybody want to play guitar?

tormodg

Post by tormodg » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:22 pm

No problems here.
2017 Yngvar Thomassen spruce
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

Sold: 2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)

robert e

Post by robert e » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:40 pm

The first time I tried this, my staff visualization was fuzzy for the B and C# of the D scale (G string). Not the third time, though. I also noticed that my hand was transparent(!). Does anyone else do that?

kirolak

Post by kirolak » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:32 pm

Trouble visualizing the fingers, they seemed to get longer & longer!?

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:35 pm

After I had been playing guitar about a year a friend gave me a book to read called "Psycho-Cybernitics" by Maxwell Maltz. The author recommended this visualization technique to train neuro motor response. "Visualization" involved imagining the senses of touch, sound and sight as if actually playing. I think it helps, but the concentration involved seems to take as much or more effort than the actual physical act. And of course, if you can't keep the visualization going, you're visualizing playing too fast.

Now I'm trying to visualize a remote cabin in Vermont.... clear blue skies, warm southeasterly breeze, daffodils and cowslips blooming, maple syrup on hotcakes...

chrisphattingh

Post by chrisphattingh » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:56 am

It works, there is no doubt about it. I have used it successfully in other fields, studying etc.

Call it by what ever name, Creative Visualization, is based on and an ancient understanding that there is no greater power than the power of Thought.

Use it, enjoy!

razz

Post by razz » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:18 am

Marshall Dixon wrote:
Now I'm trying to visualize a remote cabin in Vermont.... clear blue skies, warm southeasterly breeze, daffodils and cowslips blooming, maple syrup on hotcakes...

Almost. About 30 hours of snowfall (52 inches in the mountains). Temps rose to nearly 20 F. I did eat some pancakes with maple syrup.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:09 pm

razz wrote:
Marshall Dixon wrote:

Almost. About 30 hours of snowfall (52 inches in the mountains). Temps rose to nearly 20 F. I did eat some pancakes with maple syrup.
So razz, what were your findings about the visualization experiment? Don't keep us in suspense now! :D
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Marshall Dixon

Post by Marshall Dixon » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:50 pm

chrisphattingh wrote:It works, there is no doubt about it. I have used it successfully in other fields, studying etc.

Call it by what ever name, Creative Visualization, is based on and an ancient understanding that there is no greater power than the power of Thought.

Use it, enjoy!
Your comment regarding other fields and study reminded me of the Ebbinghaus "forgetting curve" (although I recall my textbook calling it the "memory curve"). I found this to be a great help with college testing.

The photographer Ansel Adams taught the concept of "pre-visualization" for the print while making the photograph as part of the creative process. I've found that the "visualization" of many things is better than the actual experience. This seems especially true with restaurants and my guitar playing.

razz

Post by razz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:54 am

What I found was the notes under my 4th finger were noticeably more difficult. I had do run through the exercise a few times to the "see", without naming, the 4th finger notes on the staff.

When I move to the D scale, shifting the same notes under my 2nd finger, the notes pop right into position on the staff.

If I visualize the notes on the staff first, I don't have the problem. I suspect that this is why I can successfully, practice mentally. a piece from the score without holding a guitar.

Sorry for the delay. I'm touch screen challenged. I need a keyboard for a response this long. I brought only my phone.

Return to “Public Space”