Why would someone take up classical guitar?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
chrispeppler
Amateur luthier

Why would someone take up classical guitar?

Post by chrispeppler » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:16 pm

I want to write an article on the type of person who takes up classical guitar playing. It is not an easy instrument to master and I am interested in what motivates people to start and then persevere with it. Please comment on your thoughts and experiences. Many thanks.

Adrian Allan

Re: Why would someone take up classical guitar?

Post by Adrian Allan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:32 pm

It is often people who start on another form of guitar playing, eg. electric or acoustic and then want another challenge and end up switching over to classical, or continue to play both styles. The major difference in playing then comes with using the fingers of the right hand.

Children often start with a classical guitar because the strings are are easier to press down than steel strings.

Anybody who goes on to achieve a high level of playing in any classical instrument will need to have, or develop, an analytical mind, to make sense of notation patterns, which in themselves have a mathematical element to them (eg intervals, rhythmic groupings).

Added to that, is the artistic drive needed to create an emotional mood from dots on a sheet of paper. Needless to say, the great players I have met tend to be highly driven and intelligent people who would have been successful in any other chosen vocation.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:16 pm

Mostly the guitar is taken for the same reason lute was taken up (by men) earlier in the history: to impress the ladies. But electric guitarists are much more successful at that than concert guitarists who get lost in the intricacies of the instrument and forget about the original purpose...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

TheCardMaker

Post by TheCardMaker » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:23 pm

In my case, there was vinyl LP lying around the house of John Zaradins Concerto D'Aranjuez, and five solo pieces on the B side (from memory, Ponce's Balleto - labelled as a Weiss piece, Lauros Waltz #3, Malats Spanish Serenade, can't recall the other two but one was baroque). I was I think around 16 years old

So, my parents played the concerto often - it was their album, but I was intrigued by the solo pieces too, so I ordered the Balleto sheet music (using a telephone and a postal order) and changed the strings on my brothers guitar (nylon) from left handed to right handed (he was away from home for a while otherwise he would have said 'no' as brothers often do). When the sheet music arrived, I found it thrilling to play bits of it and to know how it should sound. My hands had only played (and in this order) smoke on the water, stairway to heaven and a blues turnaround so I was rubbish, but the feeling of the pleasure of matching my hands to something which my ears had found so beautiful is what I still search for today (I pretty much always learn pieces which I have already fallen in love with by having listened to it many times).

I'm now 48 and I practice every day. I never play to other people and don't upload any of my recordings anywhere, it's a totally personal journey that I find consistently engaging and I love that fact that it exists separately from my other lives (work, love, family) and that there are absolutely no requirements placed on it, no deadlines, no pressure. This is how my motivation for this continues over the years - it's because there are no deliverables or requirements or judgements on it - it just always feels the same kind of great for that reason!

Hope this helps somehow

Salvador

Post by Salvador » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:36 pm

Recuerdos de la Alhambra was the reason why i learn classical guitar 17 years ago. I was discouraged many times. I have a teacher but he too have limited resources in classical guitar. So i am on my own for many years. I persevere by watching lots of classical guitar videos, even flamenco. I observe how they play. That's how i learn and got some tips and tricks from them.

Recuerdos help boost my self confidence lol. The first time i played it with my friends, they were amazed and thought there were 2 guitars. They thought i studied in a prestigious school haha. So i think to myself this is cool, i will continue this even if it's hard.

But of course the perseverance is for the love for classical guitar music. It's my genre of music that i like to play and listen.

eno

Post by eno » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:02 pm

My major motivation over 50 yrs of playing has been the guitar’s beautiful and fascinating sound with colorful sound palette and abundance of nuances. Plus a rich repertoire of beautiful music. Indeed it’s a very hard instrument to play, brutal to the fingers, but the result is worth it. Once the technical hurdles are overcome and the freedom is achieved it is such a delight to play.
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001 spruce
Mitsuru Tamura No.800 1969 cedar
Rokutaru Nakade 1967 spruce
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967 spruce
Takamine C136S cedar
Yamaha SLG200S silent

Swin

Post by Swin » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:28 pm

I decided in my early 30's to take up guitar because we had one laying around. It was a steel string acoustic, and I thought "why not"? At the time I was homeschooling our sons, so I had some time. I went to the library and found a guitar instruction book that actually had sheet music to it. Having played flute in high school, this was a language I used to know. So I checked it out and started to learn how to play classical-style guitar on the steel string. Once the three weeks were up and I had to return the book, I was hooked. I went to the local music store and purchased the Christopher Parkening books. I played for about three years (took lessons for about 8 of those months), went back to work, and didn't play again for about 10 years. A couple of years ago, my husband started to encourage me to take it back up again. About six months later I finally did (now playing nylon stringed classical guitar). My original intent was to get a good solid foundation so that I could play other styles of guitar more easily, but I have found that playing classical guitar kind of ruins you for all others. At least for me it does. It has also made it possible for me to play bass guitar well enough when my husband is playing some blues on his telecaster.

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:29 pm

As opposed to what? Why fly fishing instead of bait casting? Why sailing instead of power boating? Why backpacking instead of the fifth wheel?

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference."
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Mike Atkinson

Post by Mike Atkinson » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:05 pm

chrispeppler wrote:I want to write an article on the type of person who takes up classical guitar playing. It is not an easy instrument to master and I am interested in what motivates people to start and then persevere with it. Please comment on your thoughts and experiences. Many thanks.
The Chicks, of course.

It's all about the women, don't you know.

:-)
2016 Cordoba Esteso Cedar
Cordoba C5

Rasqeo

Post by Rasqeo » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:24 pm

I often ask myself that very question! :D

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:32 pm

I fell in love with solo lute and solo guitar compositions and thought a classical guitar would be something I could play in my small apartment. It took many years for me to start serious practicing though.

doralikesmath

Post by doralikesmath » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:40 pm

For me it was Wang Yameng's Romance de Amor variations. In love with the sound of the guitar right away after that.
Raimundo 148 Cedar
L. T. An Guitar C150 Spruce
Takamine G128 Spruce

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:25 pm

For me, it was the fact that I was in a Queen cover band. Not really a tribute band, as we did play songs other than Queen. But it's hard to enjoy playing when the other members of the band aren't serious about the music, and would rather be inebriated than focus on the music. I got tired of depending on the functioning abilities of other musicians in order for me to sound good. And besides, once you hit a certain age where you qualify for senior discounts, you look rediculous running around the stage wearing an electric guitar.

For me, classical guitar was an opportunity to sink or swim on my own. If I sound bad, it's all MY fault. And, classical skills transfer to other types of music. It's made me a better guitar player on my electric guitar. I am more skilled now on the electric and on my
classical. It requires a different set of skills than electric guitar. I play classical for ME. And as far as the chicks go, the only one that matters (my wife) enjoys me playing to her and has even taken it up herself ( got her her first classical in December).

Dekselsedek

Post by Dekselsedek » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:49 pm

I started out because of the records of Jimi Hendrix my father had. I would have never heard of Classical Guitar if it wasn't for an amazing teacher I happened upon. It's kind of hard to say what kind of person I am. Let me ask my wife.

robert e

Post by robert e » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:07 pm

It was the only form of guitar that my traditionalist parents would let me pursue, and it was also the only way I could avoid being forced to study piano or violin or something equally tedious and boring (hey, I was young!). It still took a while to talk them into it.

Return to “Public Space”