Why would someone take up classical guitar?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
spanishguitarmusic

Re: Why would someone take up classical guitar?

Postby spanishguitarmusic » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:48 am

For me it was that I started playing electric guitar as a teenager and then later on I heard classical guitarists and I just loved the sound of the nylon string guitar. Even though, I liked playing electric guitar, I found that I tended to enjoy the sound of classical guitar much better and it was actually an instrument that made you want to play and to learn "proper music notation". Not all the noise of the electric guitar made in rock music. I also loved listening to the Bach pieces and the early guitar pieces. I found with classical guitar, there was just a whole vibe going with it, where in rock that was lacking. So, basically I just sold my electric guitar and equipment and just totally concentrated on the classical guitar genre! :merci: great post! :) :bye:

dtoh

Postby dtoh » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:33 am

It's beautiful instrument that produces beautiful sounds, and the mental and physical aspects of playing it are immensely relaxing, challenging and satisfying.

unicornio

Postby unicornio » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:49 am

One of the earlier posts about impressing the ladies, then getting distracted by the guitar, forgetting the original purpose lol, ... maybe a new thread can be started on that topic.

Electric guitar is by no means limited in scope, it truly is an instrument that stands on its own merit, the great guitarist John McLaughlin's abilities for example. But even John was enticed into the realm of acoustic. For me personally the idea of simple acoustics being able to produce something very beautiful, is the enticement to classical, latin, styles etc...

And also cultural, whether its a wooden Native American Style flute, a Nepalese Madal drum or Sarangi, the nylon guitar holds the same appeal...built in to part of my human, lol. If that makes sense.

Also getting on in years with time for hobby, to learn to read music, apply that skill, enjoy, and share with listeners who also feel the appreciation of acoustic. Personally appreciation ie the ear has developed with age, and classical guitar seems to be something which can satisfy...

Anyhow, if you know what it is about guitar that got some of us so distracted and forgetful, please do share. Viva la guitarra!

Sharon Vizcaino

Postby Sharon Vizcaino » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:04 am

I'm going to laugh really hard if I ever hear a friend tell me she likes Random Guy X because "he can play classical guitar!" I am pretty sure I'm the only woman I can think of who'd look for that in a guy, and that's because a guy who plays classical guitar is a guy who won't get annoyed if I practice for hours :lol:

Anyway, I started on a crappy acoustic, then moved to electric, then back to steel-string (fingertsyle, this time), and then I started classical 2.5 years ago because the teacher at my school only teaches classical. 2-3 lessons in and I was hooked. I've played my steel-string maybe once a month since starting classical, and I can't remember the last time I played electric. I could've started with classical, I was aware it existed and liked it (it's a lot more common in Mexico), but I didn't want to enter the world of classical music. From the outside it looks very elitist. In the end I sucked it up and I'm glad I did, since I can't imagine going back to playing only fingerstyle now.
Joseph Redman 2016 European Spruce/Cocobolo Rosewood
Córdoba C7 CD

hilm3g

Postby hilm3g » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:06 am

Guitar because of the Beatles on Ed Sullivan. First acoustic then electric by high school. But the sound I always loved the most was the solo classical guitar. Segovia, Bream, and Paco de Lucia on my Dad's record player. More than anything, it is the sound, the feel of the instrument, the tone most of all. Tranquility and peace sinks into your soul.

unicornio

Postby unicornio » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:27 am

lol Sharon, funny.

Interesting a few people in the thread recall inspirations from early childhood listening to mums and dads music. Yup, Cat Stevens, Teaser and The Firecat album here. There was a few other acoustic type albums, cant recall the artist, but for some reason the acoustic albums yep, must be the tone.

Nylon string is practical here, can play soft and not upset folks nearby. Nylon helps with musical expression too, with steel strings I am just clanging away most times making noise, pretending to be a rock god... classical helps me be sophisticated, subdued, and quietly enjoy a Vino.

Salvador

Postby Salvador » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:32 am

Imressing the ladies was not on my mind that time. I play the guitar because of curiosity like how to play Recuerdos de la Alhambra and tremolo. I tried playing some classical pieces to the girls but they did not understand. When i play popular songs, they like it very much. They like guys who can play instruments hehe. So my motivation is always the music itself and how to play it.

BellyDoc

Postby BellyDoc » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:57 am

I hit a low point in my life a few years back, and I wasn't dealing with it well. I came to realize that a major contribution to that was the fact that I considered my own feelings to be an inconvenience, easily dismissed as irrelevant. Of course, that was really just an excuse because I'd grown estranged from myself as an emotional being. When I finally discovered this and started to deal with it, I came to realize how impoverished my emotional life really was. What was worse, all of my efforts to deal with it would be immediately distracted away into a meta-level internal analysis that was just as logical and unemotional as anything else I would typically think about. I felt stuck. It was frustrating.

Then I had an epiphany. I discovered that there is one protected setting in which I was already aware of really experiencing feelings, and that was when I was listening to music. Lots of different kinds of music move me, but some forms are much more powerful than others. I just have to let it happen. In discovering my emotional connection with music, I found a way to become aware of a whole world of feelings that I must have always been having, but was purposely ignorant of, and that changed me.

Honestly, it took too long to get to this. I've wasted too many years, and that makes me sad.

Anyway, that's when I started my musical journey, studying classical guitar in earnest. I'm just learning to give my soul a voice.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:15 am

Salvador wrote:Imressing the ladies was not on my mind that time. I play the guitar because of curiosity like how to play Recuerdos de la Alhambra and tremolo. I tried playing some classical pieces to the girls but they did not understand. When i play popular songs, they like it very much. They like guys who can play instruments hehe. So my motivation is always the music itself and how to play it.

Impressing ladies is not a choice of the concious mind anyway... :D
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Peter Lovett

Postby Peter Lovett » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:35 am

I know that by my early 20s' I had heard and really liked Concerto de Aranjuez and Castelnuovo-Tedesco's concerto but had no real desire to learn classical guitar despite a very abortive attempt at learning steel-string back when I was 12. However, after hearing the two concerti I started going to recitals when I could, mostly John Williams on his annual tours of Australia, and decided to learn the instrument when I was about 30. That lasted about 3 years when other life-style choices got in the way, like marriage.

30 years later, and now mostly listening only to classical music of all types, not just guitar, I took my instrument out of its case, tuned the strings (the electronic tuner still worked!!!!) and started from scratch all over again. I know I won't achieve any great level, time and arthritis will see to that, but there is an aim. Its not a great aim but a journey commenced without a destination is more likely to fail and I want to enjoy the journey. Yes, there are times when I think, why this instrument, why not strum the blues or 3 chord rock n roll, but I love classical music more than I like those genres and the decision is a no-brainer.
1994 Jim Williams lattice braced, Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Postby Denian Arcoleo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:50 am

Damned good question :lol:

TheCardMaker

Postby TheCardMaker » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:55 am

BellyDoc wrote:I hit a low point in my life a few years back, and I wasn't dealing with it well. I came to realize that a major contribution to that was the fact that I considered my own feelings to be an inconvenience, easily dismissed as irrelevant. Of course, that was really just an excuse because I'd grown estranged from myself as an emotional being. When I finally discovered this and started to deal with it, I came to realize how impoverished my emotional life really was. What was worse, all of my efforts to deal with it would be immediately distracted away into a meta-level internal analysis that was just as logical and unemotional as anything else I would typically think about. I felt stuck. It was frustrating.

Then I had an epiphany. I discovered that there is one protected setting in which I was already aware of really experiencing feelings, and that was when I was listening to music. Lots of different kinds of music move me, but some forms are much more powerful than others. I just have to let it happen. In discovering my emotional connection with music, I found a way to become aware of a whole world of feelings that I must have always been having, but was purposely ignorant of, and that changed me.

Honestly, it took too long to get to this. I've wasted too many years, and that makes me sad.

Anyway, that's when I started my musical journey, studying classical guitar in earnest. I'm just learning to give my soul a voice.

Love this response. When I look back over the years of my own life, I can see me playing the guitar throughout the most difficult times. There are blocks of many years where I never touched the instrument, but like a long lost home that always welcomed me, the guitar came out when the road got tough. My best friend by miles

Joe de V

Postby Joe de V » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:42 pm

Many Reasons for taking up the CG:
1- The influence of Andres Segovia for people like myself now in my mid 80's. I loved his playing even when his early recording were on old LP records.
2- I already knew how to sight-read the musical staff since I learned to play the violin as a very young age - under age 10
3- The mellower sound of a nylon string guitar is much preferred by me over the metallic-like sound of steel strings
4- At home we have a piano and my wife plays it well. I wanted an instrument with strings to play primarily music in the more classical category.
5-Most guitar players I have met that play with steel strings guitars use a "pick". I prefer to use the bare fingers - much easier on the nylon strings.
6-The "classical" name identifying the nylon strings guitar can play any genre of music,just like the steel strings guitar can play "classical" music.
Very few people recognize this fact. If they did you will see a growing number of players moving to the nylon strings instrument.Just look up world famous jazz guitarist Earl Klugh

A side note:From age 1 to age 17 I resided in a country where the nylon string guitar is most often the choice for all genres of musical style.
I loved the timber and projection of the nylon strings early in my life.
In the USA the steel strings outsells the nylon strings at possibly a ratio of at least 30 to 1 primarily due to advertisement and public exposure by non-classical music performers.
Just visit a giant volume guitar store like Guitar Center and notice the great discrepancy in numbers between steel strings and nylon string guitars.

tormodg

Postby tormodg » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:19 pm

Pure chance. In sixth grade at age 11 (1982) we could choose a free subject, and I chose guitar because I wanted to learn to play chords and sing songs. My mom bought a guitar from a friend and it happened to be a nylon string guitar. The year after she signed me up for classical guitar lessons at a local music school. I went for two years without really bothering to practice.

Then I watched "Deer Hunter" and heard Cavatina and thought "WOW I can probably play that". That led me to pursue a classical guitar performance degree. I taught for a few years but had no real interest in a guitar career. I still play and I still love it, though. And these days I do practice hard for my lessons. :)
2014 Alhambra Linea Profesional (spruce)
1994 Alhambra 6P (cedar, battered, broken and repaired)
+ various steel string and electric guitars

AndreiKrylov

Postby AndreiKrylov » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:25 pm

Because I could play alone. I have everything what I need... mellow sounds, warm, cold, harsh, percussive even like drums sound... deep or shallow, passionate and indifferent. And done purely by hands... no need for any devices, mechanical or electronic...but did I choose it? not sure... guitar choose me, I was born surrounded by sound of guitar, even before I was born, I was surrounded by it...I loved it always... I enjoyed it immensely from the first sound I made on it when I was appr. 3 years old...Influence on me by great players? Yes I like them..but I started to listen them long after I started to play guitar...so no, they were not the reason to play guitar...Great music of different composers? I love it, but... no I play guitar before I heard them... I always just wanted to be able express myself, my own feelings and experiences and guitar is a perfect instrument for that. Studying? Yes it necessary but... some teachers who, like it normally done, tried to impose their and standard views regarding music and guitar music in particular did not bring me into it, but opposite ... I like it when it is free ! completely free! and I just always wanted to follow my own ways...therefore Yes, learning of technical skills is necessary, but imposition of opinions, views and tastes is not helpful and leading just to making of another copy so to make later another copy and soon and so ... not for me. But could be good for others? fine - whatever... :)
It is as natural for me as speech now... so why someone will speak? why someone will see? will think? For me it is because it is a natural as breathing....
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

Return to “Public Space”