Why would someone take up classical guitar?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
twang

Re: Why would someone take up classical guitar?

Postby twang » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:55 pm

They wouldn't if they knew what was involved. The guitar chose me. It stalks me like a psychotic girlfriend. I'd cry for help but I don't want to. I love it.
"An amateur is he who takes up the study of an instrument as a relaxation from his serious occupations." -- Sor

TheCardMaker

Postby TheCardMaker » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:08 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote: ... I like it when it is free ! completely free!

I couldn't agree more, I'm totally self taught and totally happy with my technique, even though I know I would struggle to play any one of my pieces perfectly at the first take. One single note on our beautiful instrument can be enough, always be free to play it how it feels good for you

unicornio

Postby unicornio » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:11 pm

Really interesting posts. My first encounter with music classes was in the first year of secondary school. At the age of 12. Very quiet, nervous kid, so never really stepped forward in the music/drama class hence the teacher never really saw potential, or took interest... so, when she began to teach music theory, it was confusing, complex. Almost like a new language.

Embarrasingly, I failed classes. Really badly. The teacher was quite harsh. Little did she know though, here was a kid, sitting at home, hiding shyly listening to records and cassettes. Not sure why I hid like that... But looking back those quiet times alone discovering music was the beginning of deep appreciation...

JoeV pointed out something that explains the appreciation. Timbre. The turning point came about the age of 16. First hearing Moonchild, and Peace by King Crimson, then Awaken by Yes. It was the timbre of the singing... and the accompianment of the musical instruments that enhanced the timbre. These two songs, as example literally led my mind to a place of imagination, of story...like a good book would do.

Beginning reading music now, I can discover how these bands like King Crimson play what they play. Learning some basic classical pieces remind me of these songs in little snippets. Ah, theory...

No doubt.

What I do appreciate most of all these days, is sitting quietly listening to an accomplished player. Just recently there was a street busker here. He had a very expensive hand luthiered nylon guitar with 13 or so strings, and playing reading scores. That beautiful guitar enabled him to express just like a master vocalist. His timbre? hm.

Nylon guitar, love the timbre of the instrument, and its possibility.

ps. I love the Timber, also. Timbers. :bye:

celestemcc

Postby celestemcc » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:53 pm

Started guitar lessons at ca 11, after having taught myself chords. Got good at it... and then was given and taught a few simple classical pieces, and that.was.it. Sure, I'd heard "Classical Gas" and Segovia, but playing it: wow. That was it. No looking back. I just had to play classical!
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

lagartija

Postby lagartija » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:05 am

There is a certain timbre that I find draws me in.
The sound of something like the glass harmonium, the harp....although neither of those instruments is very portable or fits in a small house.
Then, I heard the sound of a nylon stringed guitar. So much more expressive nuance could be given to the notes. Unlike the twang of the steel stringed guitar, the nylon had a beautiful mellow tonal quality.
I decided to take up classical guitar after hearing Rodrigo's Concierto Aranjuez and watching a video of David Russell play HV-L's Choros #1. I loved the timbre of the guitar, it's expressiveness (and portability).
Being a methodical and detail oriented person, and someone who is process oriented, the discipline needed for this instrument fit my personality pretty well. The main pitch range for the guitar matches my voice, so I adopted it as my musical voice. :-)
I am lucky to have a husband who also enjoys the sound of the guitar and does not mind the hours I spend practicing.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Swin

Postby Swin » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:09 pm

twang wrote:They wouldn't if they knew what was involved. The guitar chose me. It stalks me like a psychotic girlfriend. I'd cry for help but I don't want to. I love it.

That's pretty hilarious. :lol: :lol: :lol:

dory

Postby dory » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:41 pm

The female members of this forum can tell you it is not all about getting chicks (ok, if any of us are lesbians it potentially might be.) I don't think the guitar is that much of a magnet for men although it is possible. I am not in the market. The classical guitar has an enchanting sound which seduced me when I was a teenager. I studied for a while, gave it up,because it was too hard and I was too inept, then took it up again years later. I am very aware that if I had lut as many hundreds and hundreds of hours into the piano as I have into the guitar I would probably play better. So what? Nothing can match the sound of the guitar. The guitar is still too hard and I am still inept, but I have more patience now. It is a mystery why I, or anyone would love the guitar so much.
Dory

BugDog

Postby BugDog » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:39 pm

I wanted to learn music as well a guitar. Notation, technique, theory, all of that and whatever else it might entail. I stumbled into F. Noad's book "Solo Guitar Playing" and that got me going. I'm pretty happy with where this has been leading me. It's a big and detailed landscape with much to offer.
BugDog
There's one in every crowd.

unicornio

Postby unicornio » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:17 pm

Bug, Ive just started Noads book this week. Very pleased with that book and where it is leading me also.

MaritimeGuitarist

Postby MaritimeGuitarist » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:38 pm

Like other people in this thread, I started taking acoustic guitar lessons as a teenager because I wanted to be able to accompany myself singing. I was really into rockabilly and classic country--the genres my mom and dad were into. I learned how to do that very quickly, quit lessons, and for several years was content to just strum and sing. Later in my teens, I sang in a country talent show and was backed up by a local band. The guitarist (electric) blew me away at the time. I decided once again to enroll in lessons to learn how to play lead country guitar. My teacher at the time suggested that, apart from learning some hot country lead licks, I try some fingerstyle. He put Bach's Bouree from the e minor lute suite in front of me as an exercise. He certainly wasn't a classical guitarist and didn't teach me anything about classical technique, but after playing the Bach, I was hooked. Don't know why really, but that was it. Shortly after, I sought out a classical guitar teacher and, a few years later, went away to school to study music. Been in love CG ever since-though I do play the odd Haggard song every once in while...

hoppy

Postby hoppy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:44 pm

I played 'guitar' before 'classical guitar' and the main two reasons why I play it as opposed to other guitars is 1) having had children and less time to devote to group music, it was the ability to play solo music that doesn't require accompaniment or backing tracks - e.g. jazz is great but works best with more than one person. 2) the repertoire is much more interesting - once you have played and mastered a few rock riffs and solos it gets a bit old - and again playing a distorted guitar by yourself without a band loses appeal. As for why I picked up a guitar at all - Pearl Jam and six weeks off school with glandular fever.

souldier

Postby souldier » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:04 pm

My reasons for taking up and continuing in classical guitar has been dynamic. At this stage in my life I've come to these reasons ranging from simple to deeply meaningful:

-The classical guitar has a certain beauty and character of tone that allures me in ways other instruments do not
-The classical guitar is very versatile, being able to play in an orchestra or stand alone in solo performance
-It challenges me and develops my character. I've gained skills and learned so much about life in general through this instrument.
-It's a relatively simpler to jump into and less expensive to maintain (assuming you don't have GAS).
-Relieves stress and provides enjoyment
-I want to bless others by bringing the beauty and joys of music into their life. I play for my family, friends, strangers, at recitals, at church, at funerals, for sick patients, at camp fires, etc.
-My ultimate goal in which all others find its meaning is to simply glorify God.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Karen

Postby Karen » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:40 am

I played the steel string guitar many years ago and discovered I preferred finger style to using the pick - but it hurt my fingers to play for any period of time and I didn't sound very good so I finally gave it up as a bad thing. Now retired with more time on my hands I thought I'd try again with a nylon string guitar as it "would be easier to play" ... now you all know where that is going :lol: I wouldn't say I am making great music yet but the challenge of learning to play is absorbing in itself and the endorphin rush I get at the end of a good practice session keeps me going. And the music feels so good when I get it right!

chrispeppler
Amateur luthier

Postby chrispeppler » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:43 am

Thank you all for responding. Many of your stories resonate deeply with me and are so well written that I suspect that some of you are writers as well as musicians :) As I mentioned up front I am gathering information for an article and I plan to use some of your contributions (anonymously) in either a written or a video article. If anyone has any objection to this then please let me know and I will exclude your contribution. Many thanks all.

Mike Gover

Postby Mike Gover » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:53 pm

Lotsa a great reasons to start.

FWIW- my wife of 30 years waited about 10 years to tell me she married me in spite of the fact I played guitar. In all fairness when we met I was not focused on playing classical- more southern rock and blues Allman Bros & Lynryd Skynyrd than Tarrega and Sor

Return to “Public Space”