Why would someone take up classical guitar?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
bhorstkotte

Re: Why would someone take up classical guitar?

Post by bhorstkotte » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:23 pm

I've played electric guitar for a long time, and was looking for something different - Yes "Mood for a Day" piqued my interest, and so I decided to buy a classical guitar and see what I could learn.

mts132

Post by mts132 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:53 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote:Because I could play alone. I have everything what I need... mellow sounds, warm, cold, harsh, percussive even like drums sound... deep or shallow, passionate and indifferent. And done purely by hands... no need for any devices, mechanical or electronic...but did I choose it? not sure... guitar choose me......
This guy gets it.

unicornio

Post by unicornio » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:48 pm

Nylon string classical guitar sure is a beautiful musical instrument. I play a $200 chinese made beginners model, it has a solid cedar top. It plays well. Cedar, aesthetics, was the choice, I like it, tone wise too...

I can barely imagine what it must be like to own a high quality guitar, even a high priced luthier guitar, with choices of various woods, or to own several :D And the skill to use the instruments... practice, practice, practice, its great fun.

I am not very good at playing, and would probably just admire the craftmanship of a high end luthiered guitar, feel the finish, smell inside the soundhole, admire the bindings, peruse the pearl tuning pegs, weep if I scratched it lololo :discussion:

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:26 pm

For me, it was purely the love of guitar-orientated music.
It seems a lot of people have a special love for music they experience in the childhood and for me, here in the UK, we had the new wave of Heavy Metal burst onto the scene just before and during my teens.
And at the same time, classical guitar was prominent through the playing of primarily, John Williams, on the TV. Plus added to the mix was hearing flamenco (not sure which players) and crossover music like Classical gas and Sky’s music.
So it was a happy confluence of hearing exciting, loud rock guitar at the same time as intricate, impressive classical guitar.
And not to forget the overlap between some of the rock music of the time such as the playing of Ritchie Blackmore in Rainbow or Deep Purple was tinged with classical influences.
So for me it was purely about emulating the music I loved and heard at the time, and somewhere along the line, I got the impression that ‘if you can play classical guitar, then you can play anything’ (which prob isn’t 100% true but I’m hoping it’s easier to adapt to other styles than to come to the discipline of CG…).
Also, it was the realisation that you can provide pleasure for yourself, being swept away in learning pieces, or others, either busking on the street or in the concert hall makes any acoustic guitar playing so versatile.
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

unicornio

Post by unicornio » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:14 am

thought to share this version of Arvo Part for classical guitar by Marek Pasieczny,

to offer another reason why

https://youtu.be/7_5v2ZVftr0

reason - beautiful :bye:

Lamity

Post by Lamity » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:54 am

As a complete beginner I ask myself this question but I am also a methodical and task oriented person, which should help me in the learning process - if I can ignore the little messages in my head about not being clever enough to take this on!!

It is the sound of the classical guitar that draws me and I find great enjoyment in listening to it.

I also have the time now to concentrate on learning and the drive to want to succeed in achieving some quality playing.

Balance

Post by Balance » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:07 am

rojarosguitar wrote:Mostly the guitar is taken for the same reason lute was taken up (by men) earlier in the history: to impress the ladies. But electric guitarists are much more successful at that than concert guitarists who get lost in the intricacies of the instrument and forget about the original purpose...
:D
Well, you saved me time trying to articulate "it gets the chicks".

Smudger5150

Post by Smudger5150 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:23 am

Balance wrote:
rojarosguitar wrote:Mostly the guitar is taken for the same reason lute was taken up (by men) earlier in the history: to impress the ladies. But electric guitarists are much more successful at that than concert guitarists who get lost in the intricacies of the instrument and forget about the original purpose...
:D
Well, you saved me time trying to articulate "it gets the chicks".
:lol:
Well as has been said in other comments, this is what we, and electric guitarists 'think' will happen....but then we end up only getting the kudos and attention from the other guys who want to play guitar (to mistakenly get the chicks).
Plus, in the case of the elec guitarists ,most of the 'chicks' end up having already walked off with the lead singer a long time ago anyway!
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:58 pm

Smudger5150 wrote:
:lol:
Well as has been said in other comments, this is what we, and electric guitarists 'think' will happen....but then we end up only getting the kudos and attention from the other guys who want to play guitar (to mistakenly get the chicks).
Plus, in the case of the elec guitarists ,most of the 'chicks' end up having already walked off with the lead singer a long time ago anyway!
Well, I didn't claim that this delusion is any nearly successful, did I? :lol:
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:43 pm

Masochism. Also, graduation requirements of two music classes can be a good reason. But mainly, if you enjoy excruciatingly slow progess, and feelings of inadequacy, that's the person who like CG. Or masochists.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

StevSmar

Post by StevSmar » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:32 am

Once I picked up a John Williams CD I was hooked on classical guitar.

A secondary reason is that I'm introverted and it was something I could do by myself?
Regards,

Steven from Winnipeg

DavidM1

Post by DavidM1 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:54 am

The tone, just the tone. I sometimes think that's why there has been such a spirited defence of Torres top guitars in the face of new, louder more balanced guitars, which to my ear sound better. You take a risk if you challenge someone's sense of the ideal tone because it is what brought them here in the first place.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:38 pm

Because it requires no electricity to run, does not bother the neighbors, and keeps a person from tearing off their fingernails, an old nervous habit of mine. That, and the music.

Semitone

Post by Semitone » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:13 am

Chicks?...LOL

I did it for the money....

Bea

Post by Bea » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:40 pm

Semitone wrote:I did it for the money....
:? money? odd

Return to “Public Space”