Why would someone take up classical guitar?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
User avatar
Guitar-ded
Posts: 1791
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:32 pm
Location: BC Canada

Re: Why would someone take up classical guitar?

Post by Guitar-ded » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:17 pm

Bea wrote:
Semitone wrote:I did it for the money....
:? money? odd
I reckon his parents paid him to practise.
:wink:
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

tbeltrans
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:36 pm
Location: Twin Cities

Re: Why would someone take up classical guitar?

Post by tbeltrans » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:22 pm

TheCardMaker wrote:In my case, there was vinyl LP lying around the house of John Zaradins Concerto D'Aranjuez, and five solo pieces on the B side (from memory, Ponce's Balleto - labelled as a Weiss piece, Lauros Waltz #3, Malats Spanish Serenade, can't recall the other two but one was baroque). I was I think around 16 years old

So, my parents played the concerto often - it was their album, but I was intrigued by the solo pieces too, so I ordered the Balleto sheet music (using a telephone and a postal order) and changed the strings on my brothers guitar (nylon) from left handed to right handed (he was away from home for a while otherwise he would have said 'no' as brothers often do). When the sheet music arrived, I found it thrilling to play bits of it and to know how it should sound. My hands had only played (and in this order) smoke on the water, stairway to heaven and a blues turnaround so I was rubbish, but the feeling of the pleasure of matching my hands to something which my ears had found so beautiful is what I still search for today (I pretty much always learn pieces which I have already fallen in love with by having listened to it many times).

I'm now 48 and I practice every day. I never play to other people and don't upload any of my recordings anywhere, it's a totally personal journey that I find consistently engaging and I love that fact that it exists separately from my other lives (work, love, family) and that there are absolutely no requirements placed on it, no deadlines, no pressure. This is how my motivation for this continues over the years - it's because there are no deliverables or requirements or judgements on it - it just always feels the same kind of great for that reason!

Hope this helps somehow
I just have to say that this post really resonated with me, and reminded me where the guitar really fits in my life. For whatever reason, I have ended up gigging and playing in public as a volunteer (unpaid performance). In another forum, I started an arranging study group to pick a standard or pop tune and arrange it. So now I am involved in making and posting videos along with other folks in the group. When I read this post, it really hit me, that this is what I really feel I want to do moving forward - carve out a space in my life for just my guitar and me.

Tony

JefferyHeiderscheit
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:46 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Why would someone take up classical guitar?

Post by JefferyHeiderscheit » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:07 pm

For me, I am self taught on steel string. I received a Hondo II steel string guitar for my 6th grade Christmas present and had 4 group lessons before being launched into the world to play guitar. This was in early 80's before Youtube and all the self help today. I also lived in a rural Iowa area with no one I knew who even taught classical guitar. I was always wanting to learn the "traditional" way of playing guitar but never had a chance.....so it was cowboy chords and John Denver for me.

After hitting a wall very early on, I felt like I was longing for the ability to play "real" music, not just chord shapes. So.....I started to learn classical. And I am HOOKED! Wow! The whole fretboard opens up when you learn classical. I never knew there was life above the 3rd fret! :D
1971 Shinano SC20 (spruce)
1982 Yamaha G255sii (cedar)

MarkInLA
Posts: 1238
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:43 am

Re: Why would someone take up classical guitar?

Post by MarkInLA » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:05 am

rojarosguitar wrote:Mostly the guitar is taken for the same reason lute was taken up (by men) earlier in the history: to impress the ladies. But electric guitarists are much more successful at that than concert guitarists who get lost in the intricacies of the instrument and forget about the original purpose...
Why ? Is that what you do it for !! What a chauvinistic view of what any music is for. Being a musician attracts people to it, people who don't know how to do such a thing. They are infatuated with musicians and look up to the successful ones. Also, I don't get romantically stuck on female musicians because they have female body parts. Classical guitar especially is devoid of the 'T's and 'A's or the 'package' thing..But If that's your thing, maybe you should consider becoming a rapper...And it was no different back in those 'earlier' times. It is and was an honest, clean way of making a living via entertaining; not a pathway to 'get the girls' ! When I played rock and roll guitar as a teen the girls sure did like me. But I was in it because I was in love with the guitar and enjoying getting $ for merely changing the lengths of vibrating wires as opposed to working a 9-5 job...

razz
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:01 am

Re: Why would someone take up classical guitar?

Post by razz » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:06 pm

I find that the quantity and quality of the music that a skilled player produces from that box fascinating enough to want to learn how to make that music. This is why I wanted to learn.

I keep playing because:
The amount of concentration required to learn a new piece of music or develop a particular skill requires that I "block out" life's distractions. I equate guitar playing to meditation.
Also, the satisfaction that comes with "getting it right" strikes me like an addiction. Audience appreciation helps, but I would play just for me if no one else wanted to listen.

User avatar
rojarosguitar
Posts: 4133
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:24 pm
Location: near Freiburg, Germany

Re: Why would someone take up classical guitar?

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:01 pm

MarkInLA wrote:
rojarosguitar wrote:Mostly the guitar is taken for the same reason lute was taken up (by men) earlier in the history: to impress the ladies. But electric guitarists are much more successful at that than concert guitarists who get lost in the intricacies of the instrument and forget about the original purpose...
Why ? Is that what you do it for !! What a chauvinistic view of what any music is for. Being a musician attracts people to it, people who don't know how to do such a thing. They are infatuated with musicians and look up to the successful ones. Also, I don't get romantically stuck on female musicians because they have female body parts. Classical guitar especially is devoid of the 'T's and 'A's or the 'package' thing..But If that's your thing, maybe you should consider becoming a rapper...And it was no different back in those 'earlier' times. It is and was an honest, clean way of making a living via entertaining; not a pathway to 'get the girls' ! When I played rock and roll guitar as a teen the girls sure did like me. But I was in it because I was in love with the guitar and enjoying getting $ for merely changing the lengths of vibrating wires as opposed to working a 9-5 job...
That's why I wrote 'mostly' ... you and I, we are the exception that confirms the rule ... But thanks for the recommendation of a possible new vocation, I might seriously consider becoming a rapper ... What do I have to do for achieving that?
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Mr Kite

Re: Why would someone take up classical guitar?

Post by Mr Kite » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:09 pm

Set up a Google hangout and have a rap battle with MarkinLA, delcampers to judge.

User avatar
rojarosguitar
Posts: 4133
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:24 pm
Location: near Freiburg, Germany

Re: Why would someone take up classical guitar?

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:37 pm

:bravo:

But... I'll surely loose the contest, because I'd do that only for women, and the love for the music would be missing. If I think it over properly, it's not going to work... :lol:
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Smudger5150
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:18 pm

Re: Why would someone take up classical guitar?

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:30 pm

razz wrote:I find that the quantity and quality of the music that a skilled player produces from that box fascinating enough to want to learn how to make that music. This is why I wanted to learn.

I keep playing because:
The amount of concentration required to learn a new piece of music or develop a particular skill requires that I "block out" life's distractions. I equate guitar playing to meditation.
Also, the satisfaction that comes with "getting it right" strikes me like an addiction. Audience appreciation helps, but I would play just for me if no one else wanted to listen.
This definitely resonates with me. There is some overlap with what TheCardMaker and tbeltrans said earlier too.
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

Smudger5150
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:18 pm

Re: Why would someone take up classical guitar?

Post by Smudger5150 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:38 pm

JefferyHeiderscheit wrote:For me, I am self taught on steel string. I received a Hondo II steel string guitar for my 6th grade Christmas present and had 4 group lessons before being launched into the world to play guitar. This was in early 80's before Youtube and all the self help today. I also lived in a rural Iowa area with no one I knew who even taught classical guitar. I was always wanting to learn the "traditional" way of playing guitar but never had a chance.....so it was cowboy chords and John Denver for me.

After hitting a wall very early on, I felt like I was longing for the ability to play "real" music, not just chord shapes. So.....I started to learn classical. And I am HOOKED! Wow! The whole fretboard opens up when you learn classical. I never knew there was life above the 3rd fret! :D
I had a similar experience learning chords first for many years. For beginners who learn popular guitar music, I don't think these are the best things to be taught because it's a bit of a leap to start with and can be off-putting even if students may think they can play along with their favourite tunes. Well it was certainly off-putting for me.
But I later got a Happy Traum tutor from the library and that taught me how to read music and taught it line by line just like the CG tutors. This was much more satisfying to me, felt like I was actually learning how to play properly and provide me with a more solid basis.
And yes, it eventually opened up the fretboard above the 3rd fret! (Well, when I moved to a Fred Noad book later on...)
"Music washes away the dust of every day life." Art Blakey

"If I don’t practice for a day, I know it. If I don’t practice for two days, the critics know it. And if I don’t practice for three days, the public knows it." Louis Armstrong

User avatar
Frousse
Posts: 316
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:02 pm

Re: Why would someone take up classical guitar?

Post by Frousse » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:53 pm

In my case, it was definitely the sound of the classical guitar. I heard (vinyl) the Concierto de Aranjuez and the Fantasía para un gentilhombre. This, combined with the portability of the instrument, sold me. There was no turning back in spite of the difficulties to master the instrument (does one ever master the guitar or any instrument for that matter?). I found out why a famousr guitarist said why the guitar was an easy instrument if the goal iwas to play songs with just a few chords but really difficult if one wanted to advance further.

Steve Lockwood

Re: Why would someone take up classical guitar?

Post by Steve Lockwood » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:28 am

Classical was the only style that appealed to me. I like folk music (and some pop music) but wasn't interested in playing it whereas the classical style was, without a doubt, what I wanted to do.

JefferyHeiderscheit
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:46 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN

Re: Why would someone take up classical guitar?

Post by JefferyHeiderscheit » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:15 pm

And I also agree with one of the earlier posters (Razz) who said that when working hard to learn a piece it is relaxing and shuts out the world around us.
I am finding that learning classical guitar has been my "therapy". I can lose an hour in a blink of eye as I get lost in the music.
I have daughters who are doing Suzuki cello and violin, and I am trying to be a good example of setting aside practice time and the value of good, hard practice.
I am finding that my words now have more weight than ever before as I am "working" on an instrument too.
1971 Shinano SC20 (spruce)
1982 Yamaha G255sii (cedar)

Andrew Pohlman
Posts: 999
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:24 pm
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: Why would someone take up classical guitar?

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:28 pm

rojarosguitar wrote::bravo:

But... I'll surely loose the contest, because I'd do that only for women, and the love for the music would be missing. If I think it over properly, it's not going to work... :lol:
One of the drummers for Spinal Tap said, "If I can get the sex and drugs, I don't need the rock 'n roll."

I know we are joking around, but there are better ways to find partners than classical guitar gigs... :D
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

User avatar
rojarosguitar
Posts: 4133
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:24 pm
Location: near Freiburg, Germany

Re: Why would someone take up classical guitar?

Post by rojarosguitar » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:34 am

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
I know we are joking around, but there are better ways to find partners than classical guitar gigs... :D
:lol: This is one certain thing! Classical guitarists become too interested in music and forget the rest ... :lol:
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Return to “Public Space”