A little test

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Re: A little test

Postby Denian Arcoleo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:05 pm

:lol:

Lawler

Postby Lawler » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:08 pm

Sometimes threads are like movies... drama... misunderstandings hurtling characters into tangent spirals... etc.. Alternate endings are always interesting. Here's one of of several I've thought of in relation to this thread: the GSI vid editor gasps and realizes that they uploaded the first warmup take instead of the 2nd take, which was actually the keeper. The vid is replaced. It's quite a fine rendition and each critic reflects on the deeper meanings of the change.

For anyone without a humor sensor, this is a joke. And a bad one! :P

Big bird

Postby Big bird » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:10 pm

Gary Macleod wrote:
Denian Arcoleo wrote:
Nick Clow wrote: The contention that the UK has a monopoly on free speech is offensive. I also have a pet hate of someone doing or saying something offensive and then defending themselves by playing the free speech card, as if that makes it ok.

It was intended as a joke. Do you think I seriously believe that free speech has its last bolthole in the UK? My pet hate is taking offense at every opportunity...there's a lot of it about. A sense of humour is required.

I take offence to that

:applauso:

Joe de V

Postby Joe de V » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:28 pm

Mr. Mark Clifton-Gautier: In view of your expert review and as a self identified CG teacher it would be appreciated by a few of us to have the privilege to hear your own playing of this piece so we can learn the "proper" interpretation of it. Thank you,
Last edited by Joe de V on Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Pat Dodson

Postby Pat Dodson » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:32 pm

Uh-oh! :?

tyke

Postby tyke » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:49 pm

Definite cufflink sighting at 1:16 8)

markworthi

Postby markworthi » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:24 pm

Dear forum members,

I'm glad this topic has come up, as I frequently see videos of classical guitar performances about which I'd like to get your critical opinions; but I am never sure about whether or not it is fair game to do so, knowing very well the propensity of these threads to turn into criticism of the performer him/herself. And, regarding the latter, while I don't believe there's necessarily anything wrong with assessing a performer who has posted their work, I worry about initiating a topic-- from the safety of my own anonymity-- that ends up eviscerating someone, rather than providing a well-considered assessment. It never fails to amaze me how easily people ladle out really harsh judgment of the very best guitarists in the world. Almost no performer's video at that site escapes some devastating commentary, and it's usually delivered in an off-handed manner, 30 seconds in composition, in ridiculous contrast to the 20 or 30 years it has taken the performer to master the guitar. Luckily, this conversation has not degenerated to that level (nor was it Mark's intention to go there). We're a more civilized group, apparently. ;)

Well, one thing has become clear: in the context of a high-end guitar shop, with possibly unfavorable recording conditions and an unfamiliar guitar, Mr. Fletcher's performance of Bach was not ideal. Mark, I think the best advice you can give a student looking for guitar videos by which to measure professional standards is to watch some of the Masterclass videos by Denis Azabagic and others. Bach figures prominently in these classes, and your student can safely make inferences about what should be considered proper performance timing, how much liberty one can take, et cetera.

All the best,

Mark

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Postby Denian Arcoleo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:14 pm

markworthi wrote:-- that ends up eviscerating someone, rather than providing a well-considered assessment.

I have to say that pointing out the defects in someones tone and timing isn't quite the same as disemboweling them with a sword. Hyperbole.

David_Norton

Postby David_Norton » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:38 pm

I keep wondering when this thread is going to get locked......
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

UKsteve

Postby UKsteve » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:58 pm

David_Norton wrote:I keep wondering when this thread is going to get locked......

Anytime now.

Been watching from the sidelines: must resist posting, must resist...

markworthi

Postby markworthi » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:11 pm

Denian Arcoleo wrote:
markworthi wrote:-- that ends up eviscerating someone, rather than providing a well-considered assessment.

I have to say that pointing out the defects in someones tone and timing isn't quite the same as disemboweling them with a sword. Hyperbole.

No, I agree with you, Denian-- it's not. Really, none of the comments here in this thread have been eviscerating.

I'm referring to the general tendency nowadays in other forums for this to happen. Because of the ease with which some people on the video site fire off general nastiness, my own wariness of starting a topic that invites criticism has not been unfounded, in my view. This does not amount to taking a stance against criticism, however. Simply, a reminder to myself to be careful to define the contours of discussion.
Last edited by markworthi on Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Postby Denian Arcoleo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:41 pm

Fair point. :)

Andrew Fryer

Postby Andrew Fryer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:42 pm

I don't fully understand what the OP's question is. Yes, the thumb work is very harsh, the scale passages sometimes lack fluidity. It is a very dramatic performance, which should make it very good, but there is something in it which smacks of method acting. Something I like about it is that he refuses to make it sound like a Spanish guitar - he is aiming for something, if not authentic, at least more suited to Bach. As such, it is one of many thousands of "good" performances, but not one I'd want to have on a CD.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

SteveL123

Postby SteveL123 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:26 pm

Mark Clifton-Gaultier wrote:........Guitarists can't take all the blame either - I've come to the conclusion that once a cellist is freed from the shackles of the conductor they lose all control of their metrical sphincter.

I googled "metrical sphincter" and it had nothing to do with timing in music lol. :mrgreen:

Joe de V

Postby Joe de V » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:31 pm

Well one of the benefits of reading this log is that you learn something new every time. I always though that a "sphincter" was a medical term to describe a group of muscles withing the human body. Every human have them but never heard it used in the musical field - such as a musician loosing "all control of their metrical sphincter" :o

Return to “Public Space”