Concert - to watch or to listen?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Guitarhancock

Concert - to watch or to listen?

Post by Guitarhancock » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:06 pm

When you go to a guitar concert do you watch the player's hands? Do you close your eyes and listen? Can you do both?

lagartija

Re: Concert - to watch or to listen?

Post by lagartija » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:16 pm

Both. During different times I'll do one or the other.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:24 pm

I always try to get a seat in the 1st or 2nd row in a guitar concert to watch the hands, fingers, positions, movememts, etc., particularly if the guitarist plays a piece that I can play too. After I have seen enough I close my eyes and listen to the music only :casque:
19 classical guitars, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:50 pm

I listen and watch, but most of the time I close my eyes, sit up straight and let the music come over me. Sitting up upright (sitting actively) helps me to absorb the music better.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

Sharon Vizcaino

Post by Sharon Vizcaino » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:33 pm

I... don't know. I've never actually been to a classical guitar concert. I saw Tommy Emmanuel a few days ago, and for the most part I was watching his hands, but I think I'd be more inclined to just close my eyes and listen if it were classical guitar.
Joseph Redman 2016 European Spruce/Cocobolo Rosewood
Córdoba C7 CD

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:55 pm

I sit as close as I can. I watch everything I can possibly notice. I listen to everything I can possibly hear. I try to remember to breathe and relax my own muscles. Being in the audience for live performance of any kind always carries a sense of instability and anticipation for me, and nothing brings that out more than the soloist with a classical guitar.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:28 am

Great post! I would usually be more concentrated on the players hands and watch their technique and try to learn as much as possible.

Alan Green

Post by Alan Green » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:57 am

lagartija wrote:Both. During different times I'll do one or the other.
Me too - it depends on whether I play what the guitarist's playing; if I do then I'll watch his hands intently to see if we do anything different

Digory Piper

Post by Digory Piper » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:52 am

I saw Morgan Szymanski play a lunchtime concert in a tiny rural church - latecomers like me were seated in the choir, so could only see his back, and the back of the neck of the guitar, which was deeply frustrating. But for his last group he turned his back on the body of the church and played to us, a nice gesture.

Peter Lovett

Post by Peter Lovett » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:07 am

I like to watch.

However, when I attend ensemble recitals I will listen only.
1994 Jim Williams lattice braced, Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:23 am

I used to mainly just listen, in a time I didn't play the guitar actively myself. During the last few concerts I have watched a bit more, as I have wanted to see the technique, posture etc. If the piece is very important for me musically, I still just tend to listen to it.

WilliamSchart

Post by WilliamSchart » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:24 pm

Never been to a CG concert. When I've been to rock concerts, I will watch the guitarists hand to some extent. At symphonic concerts I watch the conductor some.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:43 pm

I just saw Sharon Isbin a few weeks ago. She encouraged all of the guitar players to come up and watch her hands. I sat four feet from her and did just that, to the dismay of a woman that yelled out " I suppose the big guy has to sit right up front!" Well, I politely sat down two seats over. Otherwise I would have been sitting two feet from her. (Hey thats where Isbin told me to sit). I watched her play Recuerdos and then went to the very back of the venue where us fat guys who block other people's view are apparently supposed to sit. The look on Isbin's face was that of utter disbelief and shock. I spent the rest of the time just listening.

barnux

Post by barnux » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:07 am

I have recently had the opportunity to see Eduardo Fernandez, Marcin Dylla and Thibaut Garcia perform live. I found myself going back and forth - sometimes watching, sometimes closing my eyes and listening. Marcin played a Giuliani piece that I knew - so I definitely watched all of that. I found Eduardo to be especially musical so I tended to listen only during that performance.

Return to “Public Space”