Enemies of the CG player

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Giorgio Signorile
Composer

Re: Enemies of the CG player

Postby Giorgio Signorile » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:03 pm

1) other guitarists :mrgreen: :bye:

Allister Slingenberg

Postby Allister Slingenberg » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:25 pm

paronychia. have just got over this. my nail is still in the process of recovering.

Tomzooki

Postby Tomzooki » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:39 pm

spanishguitarmusic wrote:I would also say pets are not to classical guitar friendly. I don't have any pets though, but I see families that have multiple pets and I am thinking, I would not be able to play classical guitar around these pets, that's for sure! :)

Youtube

Here I admit I am on the pet side :wink:
Benoît Raby, Engelmann sp/Ziricote
Yamaha GC-3A
11-strings alto guitar by Heikki Rousu, sp/indonesian RW

Hotsoup

Postby Hotsoup » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:40 pm

Smudger5150 wrote:Surprised carpal tunnel has not come up - especially now we're in the digital age - keyboard and mouse usage etc. Do touch pad users get any ergonomic/physical issues I wonder?
I don't do a lot of touch screen but I've been a heavy computer user and video gamer since the '80s. On top of that, I've worked myself into desk job positions where I'm rather stuck mousing and keying most of the day.

If I maintain this and also practice guitar heavily, my hand tightens up and fingers start twitching. As a result, I've basically given up video games, which isn't a big deal as I get older. Also, I've started to take more frequent breaks at work to get up and move around. It seems to have gotten my hand back under control, but carpal tunnel problems, RSI, focal dystonia, etc. are definitely on my list of enemies.

Tomzooki

Postby Tomzooki » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:41 pm

unicornio wrote:1. attention seeking Jack Russel dog
2. dog ball
3. latches on guitar case that alert attention seeking Jack Russel
4. wet soggy ball in guitar case, once opened
5. the high pitched whining of the attention seeking dog while playing guitar
6. being an easy pushover, and choosing to play catch the ball with Jack

7. repeat scenario everyday

8. Cat climbing my back to stand on my shoulder to get attention while I try to play
Yamaha GC-3A

Tomzooki

Postby Tomzooki » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:47 pm

Mandolin - not the string instrument, the kitchen tool. NEVER USE A MANDOLIN!!!!! It is the worst ennemy ever for any musician. It may not only cut, it may cut off big chumps of hand or fingers. I work in a pharmacy, so I can testify it happens often. I just don't understand why it is still sold. Chefs wear metal knitted glove when using it.......
Yamaha GC-3A

robert e

Postby robert e » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:59 pm

I concur on RSI. Replacing my mouse with an ambidextrous trackball helped me.

Actually, I'd list CG as an enemy of touch-screens! Callouses on my left hand seem to mess with touch screen recognition, and when I experimented with longer nails, they annoyed me when I used my phone or tablet.

Andrew Fryer

Postby Andrew Fryer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:02 pm

Ukulele
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Andrew Fryer

Postby Andrew Fryer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:04 pm

Tomzooki wrote:Mandolin - not the string instrument, the kitchen tool. NEVER USE A MANDOLIN!!!!! It is the worst ennemy ever for any musician. It may not only cut, it may cut off big chumps of hand or fingers. I work in a pharmacy, so I can testify it happens often. I just don't understand why it is still sold. Chefs wear metal knitted glove when using it.......

I guess pharmacists get to see lots of stupid stuff. I was once in a pharmacy in a harbour town and a woman came in who had cut her thumb on a yacht and wrapped insulating tape around it three days previously. I had to try hard not to laugh.

Box graters can be a pain. I once grated a whole coconut using one. That curry contained some of my blood. Luckily I was the only person to eat it.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

Hotsoup

Postby Hotsoup » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:28 pm

robert e wrote:I concur on RSI. Replacing my mouse with an ambidextrous trackball helped me.

I bought a vertical mouse for work. I can't say that it's cured anything but it is slightly more comfortable.

Also, I can confirm bowling is a nail buster.

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:39 pm

StevSmar wrote:+1 for zippers.

And a new one for the list- swinging my arms around without my glasses on... Ah the golden years..

+1

robert e

Postby robert e » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:32 pm

Boot laces, and nylon webbing straps with those quick-release buckles. I've probably broken more thumbnails on these than any other way.

Hotsoup wrote:I bought a vertical mouse for work. I can't say that it's cured anything but it is slightly more comfortable.

The trackball let me use my non-dominant hand for pointing. Just switching hands probably helped more than anything.

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:49 pm

Tomzooki wrote:
spanishguitarmusic wrote:I would also say pets are not to classical guitar friendly. I don't have any pets though, but I see families that have multiple pets and I am thinking, I would not be able to play classical guitar around these pets, that's for sure! :)

Youtube

Man that guy got what he deserved. It's too bad he wasn't playing a NICE guitar. That would have been insult to injury.

Jacek A. Rochacki

Postby Jacek A. Rochacki » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:57 pm

- no supply or poor supply of decent guitars in your area; well, it is possible to do the purchase remotely, but some/many would like to test the instrument in real world before the purchase.
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

spanishguitarmusic

Postby spanishguitarmusic » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:27 pm

Tomzooki wrote:

Youtube

Oh no, in that case the cat could have really hurt him by knocking over that pot and hitting him over the head. That's too sad, hopefully he was alright!

Return to “Public Space”