Daisuke Minamizawa

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Sandan

Daisuke Minamizawa

Postby Sandan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:15 pm

I've been playing some of his arrangements which are playable (not too difficult) and well arranged.

He plays finger picking steel guitar and his arrangements can easily be played with classical guitar.

One particular book is the vol.5 Studi Ghibli Animation, his best work, which is consisting of themes and songs from children Japanese Cartoons.
At first, not knowing the composer, I thought the catchy sweet melodies are mass-produced. However, they were composed by a well-known composer, Joe HIsaishi. The songs were well written with various tempos, styles and the chords were quite complex.

Any comments on his works? Maybe Joe Hisaishi should have been another subject for discussion to widen the non-pure classical standard pieces.
Mathematics is Music for the mind and Music is Mathematics for the soul. "ANONYMOUS"

2016 Robert England - Bubinga with cedar top
2014 Robert England - Customed Venetian Cutaway maple with spruce top
2008 Robert England

Sharon Vizcaino

Re: Daisuke Minamizawa

Postby Sharon Vizcaino » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:31 pm

I love his music! I've attempted to arrange several from the Ghibli films (I've never seen the films, though), but I've never been a great arranger. He has a very distinctive style, it's instantly recognizable, if you're familiar with a few of his pieces. Lately I've been listening to Asian Dream Song a lot, mostly because I heard it as part of a medley in a figure skater's program this year. It's gorgeous. Maybe I should attempt to arrange it again. Or at least play it on piano.

I've never tried Daisuke's arrangements, but I've seen them on YouTube, they're very nice. I also know Sungha Jung's done a couple, I learned his for Howl's Moving Castle a few years ago. Unfortunately his arrangements don't work as well on a classical, as well as being less beginner friendly. God knows I was butchering it completely when I first learned it.
Joseph Redman 2016 European Spruce/Cocobolo Rosewood
Córdoba C7 CD

Sandan

Postby Sandan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:16 pm

Sharon Vizcaino wrote:I love his music! I've attempted to arrange several from the Ghibli films (I've never seen the films, though), but I've never been a great arranger. He has a very distinctive style, it's instantly recognizable, if you're familiar with a few of his pieces. Lately I've been listening to Asian Dream Song a lot, mostly because I heard it as part of a medley in a figure skater's program this year. It's gorgeous. Maybe I should attempt to arrange it again. Or at least play it on piano.

I've never tried Daisuke's arrangements, but I've seen them on YouTube, they're very nice. I also know Sungha Jung's done a couple, I learned his for Howl's Moving Castle a few years ago. Unfortunately his arrangements don't work as well on a classical, as well as being less beginner friendly. God knows I was butchering it completely when I first learned it.

Hi, I've never seen the cartoons also, but the melodies and the chords are surpisingly sweet and intricate.

If you like Ghibli arrangements, try this blog http://leonbloyguitar.blogspot.ca/ . Mr. Gonzalez provides his arrangements fro free and they are not too difficult; but they will satisfy your appetite for Ghibli film on classical guitar. If you want more challenges you can try to rearrange them.
Mathematics is Music for the mind and Music is Mathematics for the soul. "ANONYMOUS"

2016 Robert England - Bubinga with cedar top
2014 Robert England - Customed Venetian Cutaway maple with spruce top
2008 Robert England

Sharon Vizcaino

Postby Sharon Vizcaino » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:13 pm

Sandan wrote:
Hi, I've never seen the cartoons also, but the melodies and the chords are surpisingly sweet and intricate.

If you like Ghibli arrangements, try this blog http://leonbloyguitar.blogspot.ca/ . Mr. Gonzalez provides his arrangements fro free and they are not too difficult; but they will satisfy your appetite for Ghibli film on classical guitar. If you want more challenges you can try to rearrange them.

Oooh, yes, I've actually played those a few times, I have a friend who really likes those arrangements. They're really quite simple, so they're perfect for just sightreading. Very nice of him to provide them for free!
Joseph Redman 2016 European Spruce/Cocobolo Rosewood
Córdoba C7 CD

Return to “Public Space”