Bream - album info

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
LukeMarsden

Bream - album info

Post by LukeMarsden » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:10 pm

I'm obsessed with this julian bream album, unlike all the other album info, this one doesn't say which guitar he's playing and where it was recorded????

It doesn't "sound" like his other albums, more a pure sound, still a little natural reverb, but not like the Chapel he always recorded in....

and his guitar sounds wonderful, anyone think it's a hauser?

again i know these are "standards' but no ones plays music like Bream

https://www.discogs.com/Julian-Bream-La ... se/7237681

Michael.N.

Re: Bream - album info

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:56 pm

'Likely Romanillos', at least the part of the recording done in the '80's. Recorded in the chapel, according to the info here:

http://www.julianbreamguitar.com/la-gui ... rrega.html
Historicalguitars.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:14 pm

As Michael (and his helpful link) suggests, I am quite certain that Bream played his Romanillos for the pieces recorded in the 80s. For the Llobet pieces (and possibly the others recorded in 1990), he played a guitar built by Kevin Aram ("Myrtle", which Bream purchased from Aram in 1988, according to Aram's website), which would have been based on/inspired by a Hauser. It appears, from the album notes I've seen, that all the pieces were recorded at Wardour Chapel.

Great album, for sure!

Alvisa

Post by Alvisa » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:38 am

I see Kevin Aram has just made replicas of the 1988 Bream guitar. Dkclassical has one in stock.
Giussani 2014
Morison 1999

cliffbryant

Post by cliffbryant » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:55 pm

I seem to recall reading somewhere that he actually used a spruce Ramirez that he owned for his Guitarra Romantica record. Take this with a grain of salt.....my memory is not a definitive source.

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:27 pm

cliffbryant wrote:I seem to recall reading somewhere that he actually used a spruce Ramirez that he owned for his Guitarra Romantica record. Take this with a grain of salt.....my memory is not a definitive source.
Your memory is close! You are likely thinking of Bream's album called "Romantic Guitar" which came out in 1970, and on which he did, apparently, play a Ramirez guitar. The album Luke is talking about, with the Spanish name, came out in 1991, and on that one, Bream played the guitars that we have noted above. Cheers!

Digory Piper

Post by Digory Piper » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:16 pm

Just for completeness's sake, the flowery meadow on the album cover is near the village of Zahara, 37km NW of Ronda, Andalucía (wide shot on the sleeve of "¡Guitarra!" with the village in the background).

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:57 am

Thank you for the link to the website! This is the first time I took a look at the website, very nice!

MartenFalk

Post by MartenFalk » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:52 am

spanishguitarmusic wrote:Thank you for the link to the website! This is the first time I took a look at the website, very nice!
Yes, but the info on the site is misleading. As stated above, part of it is actually recorded on a Kevin Aram.
http://aramguitars.co.uk/the-guitars.shtml

Nick Clow

Post by Nick Clow » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:12 am

Slight deviation from topic, but I recently had an epiphany listening to J Bream.

I have a multi-cd collection by Julian Bream called Music of Spain. I was listening to this a week or two ago whilst driving through the local sub-tropical countryside around me. I was listening to Grand Solo (Sor), Rondo Brilliant (Aguado), Introduction and Variations, Fantasia in C etc when I was suddenly struck by the depth and layering of the music coming out of the speakers. I know of the saying that the classical guitar is like a (mini) orchestra, but the balances, delineation and integration of the different voices in such a sublime way sounded exactly like a whole orchestra in full voice.

And I realised he is a genius.
formerly Edward Frillypants

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:34 am

Nick Clow wrote:Slight deviation from topic, but I recently had an epiphany listening to J Bream... I was suddenly struck by the depth and layering of the music coming out of the speakers. I know of the saying that the classical guitar is like a (mini) orchestra, but the balances, delineation and integration of the different voices in such a sublime way sounded exactly like a whole orchestra in full voice. And I realised he is a genius.
Welcome to the club! :D

Nick Clow

Post by Nick Clow » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:47 am

I don't know why it took me so long :D
formerly Edward Frillypants

MartenFalk

Post by MartenFalk » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:43 am

Nick Clow wrote:Slight deviation from topic, but I recently had an epiphany listening to J Bream.

I have a multi-cd collection by Julian Bream called Music of Spain. I was listening to this a week or two ago whilst driving through the local sub-tropical countryside around me. I was listening to Grand Solo (Sor), Rondo Brilliant (Aguado), Introduction and Variations, Fantasia in C etc when I was suddenly struck by the depth and layering of the music coming out of the speakers. I know of the saying that the classical guitar is like a (mini) orchestra, but the balances, delineation and integration of the different voices in such a sublime way sounded exactly like a whole orchestra in full voice.

And I realised he is a genius.
Yes, actually he is probably the only guitarist in (recorded) history thay deserves to be called a genius.

LukeMarsden

Post by LukeMarsden » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:46 pm

Yes - hand on heart, he's the only guitarist who has moved me emotionally.....and thats what its all about.

I'm so proud he's an Englishman!

goingeasy

Post by goingeasy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:44 pm

Michael.N. wrote:'Likely Romanillos', at least the part of the recording done in the '80's. Recorded in the chapel, according to the info here:

http://www.julianbreamguitar.com/la-gui ... rrega.html
Hello Michael,
Wow I cant believe you found my site on Julian Bream. :bravo: You must have really dug through cyperspace to find it because I have yet to work on the whole "search engine" stuff. I did initially mention it on the Delcamp site back in 2013 while I was still working on it and had yet to publish it. Later, I was bumped from this site for non-activity (not the first time :) ) and I did not mention it in my new introduction when I rejoined because I still think it was very unfinished. I published what I had on the last day of 2015. Another reason for not mentioning it was that I did not want to seem like some sort of self described Bream expert on this site. I'm just a big fan! I'm sure there are a lot of you older than me that can add a lot to my knowledge base on Bream. I'm in my early 50s so I mainly looking at you 60 and 70 year old members for tidbits of information. I saw him in concert once but I have never actually met him. Would love to sit down with him but that is not likely to happen since he doesn't even know the site exist I imagine. I was just in Spain visiting my family and when I got back to the states I checked the site and I had over a hundred new visit. Now I know why all the new traffic - you mentioned it on your post. I hope you liked the site and I plan to pick up real soon where I left off on 2015. I was so exhausted that I just had to take a break from it.
Thanks again,
Will

MartenFalk wrote:
spanishguitarmusic wrote:Thank you for the link to the website! This is the first time I took a look at the website, very nice!
Yes, but the info on the site is misleading. As stated above, part of it is actually recorded on a Kevin Aram.
http://aramguitars.co.uk/the-guitars.shtml
Hello Marten!
I'm sorry I mislead anybody in reference to the guitar used by Mr. Bream for the recording of La Guitarra Romnatica. As you can tell from the website I do make an educated presumption on the pieces recorded in the early 80's but I did not make any statement on the pieces recorded in the 90's because that information was not available to me. As I stated in the web page, the CD release was likely an afterthought and likely a bunch of left over recording from the Music of Spain series. Bream must have decided to record a handful of extra pieces in the 90's to round out the album. Yes, it is likely he did not use the same guitar for the pieces recorded in the early 90's. No information was available on the CD release and to my knowledge there was never an LP release with liner notes. Additionally, the very informative book by Graham Wade accidentally overlooked its inclusion. Once the box set came out, I immediately ran to the book provided but it had no additional information. That little tidbit of information had always alluded me. I actually have a few questions I would like to ask Mr. Bream about this huge musical journey he took called the Music of Spain. The book included with the box set included the guitar information on just about every recording except for this particular album.

May I ask how you know that those Spanish pieces recorded in the 90s were performed on a Aram guitar? Is the Aram guitar website your only source? Any available information you may have that you find that is not on my site or you feel is not clear enough, please by all means let me know. Not sure if you looked through the whole site but I stated in a few places to please contact me with new information that I might be able to use.

Thanks for the information and I hope everybody can tell that the website is vast yet still very unfinished. :merci:
Will
Last edited by goingeasy on Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Public Space”