Bream - album info

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
LukeMarsden

Bream - album info

Postby LukeMarsden » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:10 pm

I'm obsessed with this julian bream album, unlike all the other album info, this one doesn't say which guitar he's playing and where it was recorded????

It doesn't "sound" like his other albums, more a pure sound, still a little natural reverb, but not like the Chapel he always recorded in....

and his guitar sounds wonderful, anyone think it's a hauser?

again i know these are "standards' but no ones plays music like Bream

https://www.discogs.com/Julian-Bream-La-Guitarra-Romantica-Llobet-Pujol-Tárrega/release/7237681

Michael.N.

Re: Bream - album info

Postby Michael.N. » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:56 pm

'Likely Romanillos', at least the part of the recording done in the '80's. Recorded in the chapel, according to the info here:

http://www.julianbreamguitar.com/la-gui ... rrega.html
Historicalguitars.

Lovemyguitar

Postby Lovemyguitar » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:14 pm

As Michael (and his helpful link) suggests, I am quite certain that Bream played his Romanillos for the pieces recorded in the 80s. For the Llobet pieces (and possibly the others recorded in 1990), he played a guitar built by Kevin Aram ("Myrtle", which Bream purchased from Aram in 1988, according to Aram's website), which would have been based on/inspired by a Hauser. It appears, from the album notes I've seen, that all the pieces were recorded at Wardour Chapel.

Great album, for sure!

Alvisa

Postby Alvisa » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:38 am

I see Kevin Aram has just made replicas of the 1988 Bream guitar. Dkclassical has one in stock.
Giussani 2014
Morison 1999

cliffbryant

Postby cliffbryant » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:55 pm

I seem to recall reading somewhere that he actually used a spruce Ramirez that he owned for his Guitarra Romantica record. Take this with a grain of salt.....my memory is not a definitive source.

Lovemyguitar

Postby Lovemyguitar » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:27 pm

cliffbryant wrote:I seem to recall reading somewhere that he actually used a spruce Ramirez that he owned for his Guitarra Romantica record. Take this with a grain of salt.....my memory is not a definitive source.

Your memory is close! You are likely thinking of Bream's album called "Romantic Guitar" which came out in 1970, and on which he did, apparently, play a Ramirez guitar. The album Luke is talking about, with the Spanish name, came out in 1991, and on that one, Bream played the guitars that we have noted above. Cheers!

Digory Piper

Postby Digory Piper » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:16 pm

Just for completeness's sake, the flowery meadow on the album cover is near the village of Zahara, 37km NW of Ronda, Andalucía (wide shot on the sleeve of "¡Guitarra!" with the village in the background).

spanishguitarmusic

Postby spanishguitarmusic » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:57 am

Thank you for the link to the website! This is the first time I took a look at the website, very nice!

MartenFalk

Postby MartenFalk » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:52 am

spanishguitarmusic wrote:Thank you for the link to the website! This is the first time I took a look at the website, very nice!

Yes, but the info on the site is misleading. As stated above, part of it is actually recorded on a Kevin Aram.
http://aramguitars.co.uk/the-guitars.shtml

Nick Clow

Postby Nick Clow » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:12 am

Slight deviation from topic, but I recently had an epiphany listening to J Bream.

I have a multi-cd collection by Julian Bream called Music of Spain. I was listening to this a week or two ago whilst driving through the local sub-tropical countryside around me. I was listening to Grand Solo (Sor), Rondo Brilliant (Aguado), Introduction and Variations, Fantasia in C etc when I was suddenly struck by the depth and layering of the music coming out of the speakers. I know of the saying that the classical guitar is like a (mini) orchestra, but the balances, delineation and integration of the different voices in such a sublime way sounded exactly like a whole orchestra in full voice.

And I realised he is a genius.
formerly Edward Frillypants

Lovemyguitar

Postby Lovemyguitar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:34 am

Nick Clow wrote:Slight deviation from topic, but I recently had an epiphany listening to J Bream... I was suddenly struck by the depth and layering of the music coming out of the speakers. I know of the saying that the classical guitar is like a (mini) orchestra, but the balances, delineation and integration of the different voices in such a sublime way sounded exactly like a whole orchestra in full voice. And I realised he is a genius.

Welcome to the club! :D

Nick Clow

Postby Nick Clow » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:47 am

I don't know why it took me so long :D
formerly Edward Frillypants

MartenFalk

Postby MartenFalk » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:43 am

Nick Clow wrote:Slight deviation from topic, but I recently had an epiphany listening to J Bream.

I have a multi-cd collection by Julian Bream called Music of Spain. I was listening to this a week or two ago whilst driving through the local sub-tropical countryside around me. I was listening to Grand Solo (Sor), Rondo Brilliant (Aguado), Introduction and Variations, Fantasia in C etc when I was suddenly struck by the depth and layering of the music coming out of the speakers. I know of the saying that the classical guitar is like a (mini) orchestra, but the balances, delineation and integration of the different voices in such a sublime way sounded exactly like a whole orchestra in full voice.

And I realised he is a genius.

Yes, actually he is probably the only guitarist in (recorded) history thay deserves to be called a genius.

LukeMarsden

Postby LukeMarsden » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:46 pm

Yes - hand on heart, he's the only guitarist who has moved me emotionally.....and thats what its all about.

I'm so proud he's an Englishman!

Return to “Public Space”