I am giving up playing Classical Guitar

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Dofpic

I am giving up playing Classical Guitar

Postby Dofpic » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:42 pm

Unfortunately I have decided to throw in the towel as I just cannot play anywhere like I used to because of being afflicted with Focal dystonia. I have worked 5 years at trying to beat this but I have lost patience. I am truly blessed in so many ways and have many interests so have decided it is time to move on. I will continue to be active on the forum as i have made some terrific friends here and enjoy it immensely. In the meantime if anyone might be interested in my collection PM me and I will offer attractive terms to my decamp friends.

http://www.stephenaron.net/stephenarons ... at-oberlin
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober, 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2012 Jochen Rothel,2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)
2012 Michel Bruck ,2012 Martin Blackwell, 2001 Dominique Field
Cedar, 2009 Achim Gropius,2015 Daniele Chiesa, 2015 John Dick, 2014 Joshua DeJonge

David_Norton

Re: I am giving up playing Classical Guitar

Postby David_Norton » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:48 pm

Sorry to see this, but age and health catches up to all of us eventually. Thanks for all you have done, and very best wishes for your health in general.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Grooveman JS

Postby Grooveman JS » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:00 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that but I'm also glad for you in that you're still so positive; great spirit :bravo: ....I'm not at all familiar with this condition of yours but maybe you could try less demanding styles; like steel string acoustic do pop, rock or folk strum & sing or something that you'll be able to manage with your condition......anyway you know best; wishing you all the best in your other endeavours.
Masaki Sakurai MA-RF
Antonio Picado Concierto DT

larryguitar

Postby larryguitar » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:01 pm

James,

I'm so sorry to hear this and wish you all the best. Sponsoring a guitar festival is a wonderful gift to the classical guitar community. You should be proud of your work. Take care.

Kurt Penner

Postby Kurt Penner » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:02 pm

Sorry to hear this. Would it be possible with your condition to take on another instrument such as piano? I've often thought that would be my next move if I had the need.

KP

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:03 pm

It's great to hear that you can make the transition without a lot of grief. It's a great asset if you can see changes as changes and not entirely only as losses ...
My best wishes of success to whatever projects you settle on...
Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

brooks

Postby brooks » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:05 pm

David_Norton wrote:Sorry to see this, but age and health catches up to all of us eventually. Thanks for all you have done, and very best wishes for your health in general.

+1

Wishing you all the best, Dofpic.

JohnW400

Postby JohnW400 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:14 pm

Sorry to hear this. I've often thought about what I would do in a case like this.

I think I would take up dobro or pedal steel or similar. You appear to have quite the collection of guitars so I'm assuming you a very serious classical guitarist. with dobro or steel you would be playing new music (country, bluegrass , Texas swing, blues, rock etc)

I'm more of a jazz guitarist that is working on classical in order to improve my finger style jazz . So for me the leap to a different style like blues or Texas swing is not a far throw.

I wish you luck

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:40 pm

Sorry to hear this. Wish you the best.

UKsteve

Postby UKsteve » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:38 pm

This is bad news; I know how knowledgeable you are and how balanced and valuable your contributions here have been.
I think I'm a useless player but I would be devastated to not be able to play. Sounds like you have very luckily got lots to keep you occupied otherwise?

Kent

Postby Kent » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:57 pm

Giving up playing as expected in the past, not giving it up completely we hope!
Keep your two favorite guitars, continue to enjoy what you can play with reasonable expectations. Hope you keep developing as you can, and enjoy the single notes as much as the compositions!
Thank you for being so open and forthcoming about your FD. Looking forward to your continued participation too.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:19 pm

Jim

I am saddened to hear that news. Even if you cannot play it is good that you will still contribute to the forum. It is also good you have plans involving other interests.

All the best
Peter

lagartija

Postby lagartija » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:26 pm

:(
So sorry to hear that you have given up playing, but I can understand the decision if playing aggravates the condition and is a source of frustration and sadness rather than a joy.
:desole:
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:43 pm

Hi Jim,

I'm so sorry to hear this news. I appreciate your kindness and inspiration. I'm especially happy you have other interests upon which to focus.

All the best,
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

souldier

Postby souldier » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:11 pm

Very saddened to hear this dofpic. Grateful for all you have contributed to the CG community. Wishing you all the best in your other pursuits!
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Return to “Public Space”