I am giving up playing Classical Guitar

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
dory

Re: I am giving up playing Classical Guitar

Post by dory » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:48 pm

I am very sorry to hear your news. I have been following your struggles with focal dystopia in the hopes that something would work out for you. It is tragic that this condition is often the "reward" for being very serious about an instrument.
Dory

Cincy2

Post by Cincy2 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:04 pm

Jim,

When one door closes almost always another one opens. Do you like jazz or folk music? Put your toe in those waters and play a steel string guitar with a pick. There are tons of instrumental pieces that you can play that way. With your skill and discipline it will be a short trip to proficiency in the steel string repertoire. I'm up to my eyeballs in this genre and just enjoying the heck out of it. The best part is you can continue to obsess over some of the most beautifully constructed guitars in the world.

From Wikipedia:

"Crosspicking is a technique for playing the mandolin or guitar using a plectrum or flatpick in a rolling, syncopated style across three strings. This style is probably best known as one element of the flatpicking style in bluegrass music, and it closely resembles a banjo roll, the main difference being that the banjo roll is fingerpicked rather than flatpicked.A typical element of the technique is the use of three pitches played repeatedly within a four-pulse rhythm. This results in a continual shifting of the pitches vis-a-vis the accented pulse. The three pitches are usually played on three adjacent strings—one per string. The pick direction can vary, depending on the required emphasis and the melody."

You can arrange any song in this style combining it with interlaced 3 and 4 note chords to give you melody and rhythm. Its not just for Bluegrass.

I've got a fabulous Lowden steel string instrument for sale on the Acoustic Guitar Forum that is a little cannon and affordable compared to the classical instruments both you and I have owned in the past. PM me for details.

Best of luck to you regardless of what you decide to do. I regret that we have lost a great ambassador for Classical and I sincerely hope that you find another outlet for your creative energy.

Eric
wee.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A wood box, empty
A sensitive heart, too full
You and I connect.

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:33 pm

Eric and everyone else you are all too kind. Thanks so much for your kind words. I will still be involved thru my competition, this forum, etc. One other passion of mine, skiing and snowboarding. I did hit 1,000,000 vertical feet skied and over 1000 miles this winter.
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober, 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2012 Jochen Rothel,2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)
2012 Michel Bruck ,2012 Martin Blackwell, 2001 Dominique Field
Cedar, 2009 Achim Gropius,2015 Daniele Chiesa, 2014 Joshua DeJonge

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:49 am

dory wrote: ... focal dystopia ...
I think we've all got a bit of that ... Places we hate to be maybe? :mrgreen:

Seriously though, all the best to you Jim ... overcoming life's disappointments and facing life's struggles, and with grace and generosity ... Manners make the Man.
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:52 am

Dofpic wrote:Eric and everyone else you are all too kind. Thanks so much for your kind words. I will still be involved thru my competition, this forum, etc. One other passion of mine, skiing and snowboarding. I did hit 1,000,000 vertical feet skied and over 1000 miles this winter.
Good on you. The only thing better for the soul than music is skiing.

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:31 am

dtoh wrote:The only thing better for the soul than music is skiing.
No, it's kayaking. :P Arguments about sport aside, I also like what Cincy2 said...
guitar with a pick. There are tons of instrumental pieces that you can play that way.
Just two examples: Bach BWV 1002, Bouree Double and Sarabande Double. They work nicely with plectrum technique read right from the violin score.

Brooke Martin

Post by Brooke Martin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:20 pm

Not to make light of this in any way, but there have been cases where guitarists have managed to play again, such as Liona Boyd:

"Liona Boyd, Canadian classical guitarist, known as the 'First Lady of the Guitar', retired from the concert stage for six years in 2003, due to focal dystonia that affected her right hand. She worked to retrain her right hand and since 2009 she has been performing again as a guitarist, singer and songwriter."

Just in case, it might make sense to keep your music and a favorite guitar or two (as Kent wrote above in this thread). Maybe a brilliant physical therapist could work with your focal dystonia.

bear

Post by bear » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:25 pm

Dofpic wrote:Unfortunately I have decided to throw in the towel as I just cannot play anywhere like I used to because of being afflicted with Focal dystonia. I have worked 5 years at trying to beat this but I have lost patience.
This sucks.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:51 pm

I'm very sorry to hear this. I appreciated the easy purchase of your Eric Sahlin guitar (even though I later sold it.) All the best for your future endeavors.
Greg Byers 2016 cedar/Ind
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br

Dofpic

Post by Dofpic » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:10 pm

Thanks take a look at my signature as they are all for sale.
Spruce,2011Fritz Ober, 2015 Eric Sahlin, 2012 Jochen Rothel,2006 Greg Byers(fan not lattice)
2012 Michel Bruck ,2012 Martin Blackwell, 2001 Dominique Field
Cedar, 2009 Achim Gropius,2015 Daniele Chiesa, 2014 Joshua DeJonge

Return to “Public Space”