Yvon Demillac--easy and pretty

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
dory

Yvon Demillac--easy and pretty

Postby dory » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:15 am

I wanted to recommend the music of Yvon Demillac to other intermediate players who want something modern, nice, and easy to play. I discovered him on youtube. I don't know if all his work is like this, but I ordered a book called Marines, and for me it is an intermediate player's dream. I can sight read all of the pieces and they are quick to learn, but they don't sound like they are as easy as they are. I have been learning harder pieces, but this is a nice break and I am having fun. I think some others might enjoy him too. I played one of his pieces at a student recital and people said " Wow, you played something really difficult!" They didn't believe me when I said the piece was dead easy. The only thing you need to play his music is control of the whole fingerboard. I have been learning harder pieces, but it is really fun to take a break and learn something accessible. He is a teacher, and I think he probably composes for his students, although possibly he just likes to compose that way.
Dory

Jeffrey Armbruster

Re: Yvon Demillac--easy and pretty

Postby Jeffrey Armbruster » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:05 am

I just heard him play Plages on you tube and it was very nice! And so I ordered Marines on your recommendation. thank you, I need something easy and inspirational for sight reading and everything else. He seems to have an obsession with the ocean.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

kirolak

Postby kirolak » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:59 pm

Just listened to his Vacances on YouTube, & it is basically the same as Cancao Triste by Edson Lopes? (sorry no cedilla on my pc)

David_Norton

Postby David_Norton » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:58 pm

I agree, he has some very nice and accessible music out there.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:40 pm

I just saw Gohar Vardanyan play one of his pieces on YT. Very nice.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Postby Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:09 am

"Marines" arrived lickety split from SBM. I was dedicated to learning standard notation up to about a month ago, when I became diverted with working on my right hand position, etc. The first piece in the collection was perfect for me in terms of working on sight reading (by which I mean slowly working through the notation). As Dory says it requires some facility with the whole fretboard but that's exactly what I wanted to work on. I took a quick stab at the second piece too. They both seem really intuitive--my fingers just know where the notes should be on the fretboard before my mind has to figure it out, if that makes sense. So, I second Dory's recommendation, and for the same reasons.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Nick Clow

Postby Nick Clow » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:19 am

Great tip and comments, thanks for posting.
formerly Edward Frillypants

Return to “Public Space”