Linear Etudes by William Bay

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
RobMacKillop

Linear Etudes by William Bay

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:09 am

William Bay is the son of the publisher Mel Bay. He is a very fine composer for the guitar, and many of his publications he loves to hear on a classical guitar. His latest book is of linear studies - a single line, somewhat Bach-like, though often in a more contemporary (tonal) language. I really like these studies, and recommend them highly for helping develop phrasing and articulation.

I've only recorded one so far - I just got the book a few days ago - and it is more Bach-like than most in the book. You can hear it on a page of my website devoted to the book: https://robmackillop.net/linear-artistry/

My performance is with a plectrum/pick (horror of horrors!) on an archtop guitar (ditto), as I'm trying to improve my plectrum control. But it could also be played on a classical with fingers.

Gary Macleod

Re: Linear Etudes by William Bay

Post by Gary Macleod » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:44 am

Very nice Rob, great sound too , is it plugged in or is that the acoustic sound ?

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:03 am

Acoustic, Gary. Lovely guitar: D'Aquisto NYE.

Isabelle Frizac
Teacher

Post by Isabelle Frizac » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:17 pm

Technically amazing :shock: !

But interesting musically ... :casque:

:merci:
keep hope !
Bastien Burlot 2014" special anniversary" n°1, Pappalardo 1982, Antonio Ruiz Lopez 1974, and other instruments ...;-)

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:18 pm

Good comment, Isabelle!

Mark Clifton-Gaultier

Post by Mark Clifton-Gaultier » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:40 pm

That's a nice little teaser Rob - a couple of questions:

What's the range of keys used and are the pieces of similar difficulty?

I'm guessing from the title that they are more about fretboard knowledge/fretting hand facility than pick control, but are the neck positions, plectrum directions etc. specified or do we get to follow our own strategies without having to deface the text?

Either way - looks like a useful addition to the library.

Nice to see the return to monochrome by the way - keep the colour in the playing.

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:51 pm

Thanks for this Rob. You certainly show your enjoyment of the piece and I very much enjoyed listening. I have started some jazz lessons and pieces like this appeal as a useful bridge between jazz and the classical pieces I have studied for a decade or so.

:casque: :merci:

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:01 pm

Mark - there are no indications at all, no dynamics, no pick control, and just the occasional LH finger number. They are not specifically for plectrum or fingers, or archtops or classical guitars. I found the experience very much like being faced with a Bach prelude, just single notes, and your job is to work out all the phrases, dynamics, tone changes, etc. This particular piece has a heavy baroque influence, but most of them don't. I've started another one, with dropped D tuning. Keys covered are mostly, but not always, "guitar keys". Some are moderate in speed, but quite a few are allegro or even presto.

Pat - as mentioned above, they are not really jazz pieces. William Bay is influenced by jazz and classical equally, and as you work through the book you will hear those influences coming and going. If nothing else, they are brilliant sight-reading exercises. But I find them very tuneful, and fun to play.

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:41 pm

Nice work Rob, I have been enjoying your videos.... Just ordered the book after watching your latest video.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

RobMacKillop

Post by RobMacKillop » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:50 pm

Cheers, Dave. I hope you like it as much as I do.

Return to “Public Space”