New Guitar - Finally! - Esteve 9 C/B

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
DanManGuitar

New Guitar - Finally! - Esteve 9 C/B

Post by DanManGuitar » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:31 pm

We took a trip to the Classical Guitar Store in Philly yesterday. They took us to a room upstairs and we told them our budget ($1000 - $2000). Bill went to pick some guitars for us. We started with an Esteve 8, then a Esteve 9 C/B cedar top, a Picado 49, the spruce top Esteve 9 C/B, and finally, a Hanika 54. All the Esteves were nice, but what made me choose the Esteve 9 C/B was its excellent bass, amazing clarity, great tone, volume, and projection. The Hanika was appealing, but after some playing on it, I much preferred the more traditional, Spanish sound of the Esteve. I wish I could've spent the whole day there just trying out all the guitars they had there, but there wasn't enough time, sadly. Bill never pushed us past our price limit, and was kind, honest, and helpful the entire time. It was fun, although I wish I hadn't caught a cold in the rain...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Carlos

Re: New Guitar - Finally! - Esteve 9 C/B

Post by Carlos » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:06 pm

nice guitar!

Sorry you got cold in the way back ... this is soon gonna pass, only the nice guitar will stay!

Pat Dodson

Post by Pat Dodson » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:19 pm

Congratulations! May you have many wonderful times playing it.

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:20 am

This mirrors my own experience buying my Estevez. I think they are one of the most underrated guitar makers. Bill is a wonderful guy and player. He knows classical guitars as well as anyone.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:49 am

Congratulations on buying a very beautiful classical guitar! Get through your cold and enjoy the guitar! Thank you for posting your story and pictures!

Lovemyguitar

Post by Lovemyguitar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:09 am

That's great to hear! Good choice, enjoy!

dory

Post by dory » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:19 am

Congratulations! It looks very nice!
Dory

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:43 am

Nice looking guitar. Do let us know when the spruce opens up. I mean if you think it sounds great now, it's going to sound even better sometime down the road when the lignin changes in the wood due to having vibration put through it. It's really interesting that spruce takes a little longer to do this. But the more you play it, the faster this will occur. It took my spruce guitar several months to finally hit the sweet spot. New guitars are the best. You get to try all sorts of different strings to find the perfect sound. Congratulations! Esteve is one of the best, underrated guitars out there. I almost bought one three weeks ago, but it was an older one that wouldn't quite fit into my budget (consignment guitar). You picked a good one and it should serve you well for many years to come.

Brooke Martin

Post by Brooke Martin » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:18 pm

DanManGuitar wrote:We took a trip to the Classical Guitar Store in Philly yesterday. They took us to a room upstairs and we told them our budget ($1000 - $2000). Bill went to pick some guitars for us. We started with an Esteve 8, then a Esteve 9 C/B cedar top, a Picado 49, the spruce top Esteve 9 C/B, and finally, a Hanika 54. All the Esteves were nice, but what made me choose the Esteve 9 C/B was its excellent bass, amazing clarity, great tone, volume, and projection. The Hanika was appealing, but after some playing on it, I much preferred the more traditional, Spanish sound of the Esteve. I wish I could've spent the whole day there just trying out all the guitars they had there, but there wasn't enough time, sadly. Bill never pushed us past our price limit, and was kind, honest, and helpful the entire time. It was fun, although I wish I hadn't caught a cold in the rain...
I'd be interested to know what you found regarding the difference in tone between the cedar and spruce tops. :?:

DanManGuitar

Post by DanManGuitar » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:08 pm

Brooke Martin wrote:
DanManGuitar wrote:We took a trip to the Classical Guitar Store in Philly yesterday. They took us to a room upstairs and we told them our budget ($1000 - $2000). Bill went to pick some guitars for us. We started with an Esteve 8, then a Esteve 9 C/B cedar top, a Picado 49, the spruce top Esteve 9 C/B, and finally, a Hanika 54. All the Esteves were nice, but what made me choose the Esteve 9 C/B was its excellent bass, amazing clarity, great tone, volume, and projection. The Hanika was appealing, but after some playing on it, I much preferred the more traditional, Spanish sound of the Esteve. I wish I could've spent the whole day there just trying out all the guitars they had there, but there wasn't enough time, sadly. Bill never pushed us past our price limit, and was kind, honest, and helpful the entire time. It was fun, although I wish I hadn't caught a cold in the rain...
I'd be interested to know what you found regarding the difference in tone between the cedar and spruce tops. :?:
I just sounded better on the spruce. I couldn't get much clarity out of the cedar, and I the spruce was pretty warm for a spruce.

DanManGuitar

Post by DanManGuitar » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:08 pm

Brooke Martin wrote:
I don't remember much difference, but the cedar was a bit "louder", warmer, and more open. It filled the room with sound.

Butch Alan

Post by Butch Alan » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:11 pm

If you live anywhere in the northeast part of this country, the only place to buy a guitar is 'The Classical Guitar Store' in Phila. I bought an Esteve 7sr there a few years ago. Bill is the man to see. Patient and knowledgeable. I've purchased three guitars from Bill.

sosa6string

Post by sosa6string » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:17 am

Great store, i've offloaded some cash there on several occasions.
Fritz Ober 2006 - Spruce/RW
Daniel Friederich 1967 - Spruce
Jim Redgate Wave DT 2011
Cordoba Master Series Hauser - Spruce
Marcelo Barbero 1961

My wife thinks I have enough......... :S

Return to “Public Space”