This may be a dumb question, but...

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
dory

This may be a dumb question, but...

Postby dory » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:17 am

This may be a dumb question, but does anyone have an idea on how to learn the bass clef quickly? I played piano when I was a child, but since then have only sung soprano and played the guitar, so at this point I am very shaky about the bass clef. Every spring I sing a major choral piece, and it is a problem when I have to come in when the basses have been singing and I have trouble seeing what their notes have been. This spring I am singing the Brahms Requiem which is bery beautiful but also seems more challenging than some of the other major pieces we havee performed. I am spending a lot of time practicing at home and this has somehow made me more conscious of not being able to read all the music. I feel like this is a place where I can confess my handicap. Does anyone have a good idea about how to learn quickly?
Dory

Dustin McKinney
Student of the online lessons

Re: This may be a dumb question, but...

Postby Dustin McKinney » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:21 am

Practice, practice, practice! I am a choir director, and I teach bass clef to ALL of my singers. I utilize the website musictheory.net. Try this link: http://www.musictheory.net/exercises/note
Francisco Navarro 630mm Student Classical (Spruce)
Kremona Fiesta FC

CathyCate

Postby CathyCate » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:28 pm

Have you tried listening to recordings of the music with score in hand?

If you have access to a keyboard, that along with a beginners book, might get you up and running fairly quickly. The layout of the keyboard helps with visualization and getting your ear in synch with what is shown on the printed page.

Good for you and Good Luck!

scottszone

Postby scottszone » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:58 pm

Think treble clef one line up (and an octave down). Bass clef starts on G.
2006 Manuel Contreras II C-5 Cedar/IRW
2016 Cordoba C7-CE Cedar/IRW
2006 Cordoba GK Studio Spruce/Cypress

Andrew Fryer

Postby Andrew Fryer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:36 pm

Draw the middle C above it as an aide memoire? Yes, I used to play the piano, and I've found that you can get rusty with the bass clef if you don't use it.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

OldPotter

Postby OldPotter » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:45 pm

I liked the musictheory.net page, that one was a treble clef when I looked,this one should be the bass: http://www.musictheory.net/exercises/note
"When I was younger, I could remember almost everything, whether it happened or not." Mark Twain

celestemcc

Postby celestemcc » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:49 pm

Brahms Requiem? Oh, lucky -- I adore it, brava!

BY no means a dumb question! I feel this pain, believe me...! Two ways to do it. I literally just had to teach this, and to do it myself when I had to re-learn bass-clef.

Read bass clef one line or one space higher than the written note. Bass clef C (second space from bottom) is actually A (read up a space as if it were in treble clef). Bass clef D (on the 4 line from the bottom) is F (read up a line in treble clef.) So just mentally adjust up a space or line.

It takes a bit of doing to get used to, and in a pinch, just write in the notes!

Another way (I find more difficult in the moment, but this blew the mind of a kid I was teaching who only knew bass clef!) is to draw a G-clef staff, and write middle C on it (you know, one ledger line below the staff). Now draw another staff just below, this one's bass clef. That C you wrote before is C on bass clef as well. So the two clefs "connect" so to speak. So for example, the bass clef note that's 3 leger lines above the staff is G on treble clef. Count and you'll see. This way's more esoteric I guess, but more "logical" too.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

robin loops

Postby robin loops » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:01 pm

The loop of the treble clef crosses the staff at the g (it's a fancy s for sol) and the bass clef round part crosses at the f (is an f fo fa). Doesn't necessarily help learn them better but is a helpful reference point.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Dustin McKinney
Student of the online lessons

Postby Dustin McKinney » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:15 pm

OldPotter wrote:I liked the musictheory.net page, that one was a treble clef when I looked,this one should be the bass: http://www.musictheory.net/exercises/note

I should mention that to have the exercise target Bass only, you should go to the settings and set it up as so. You can also have it utilize different key signatures, etc...

The website is pretty versatile.
Francisco Navarro 630mm Student Classical (Spruce)
Kremona Fiesta FC

hoppy

Postby hoppy » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:29 pm

Buy a bass guitar? Or some bass guitar music and play on the bottom four strings an octave higher. I occasionally read through the bass guitar method by Chuck Rainey which has pages and pages of good reading studies.

dory

Postby dory » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:49 pm

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I will use many of them. I don't have access to a keyboard so that won't work, but most of the other suggestions feel helpful. The good news is I don't really have to be fast, and I may be able to write the note in in crucial places so that I can orient myself from the bass line.
Dory

Ceciltguitar

Postby Ceciltguitar » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:12 am

Start sight reading the Bach Cello Suites. They are (mostly) single line melodies, all written in the bass clef. They can be downloaded from the internet for free. This worked for me, and I only used Cello suite # 3.

Tune you 6th string to C and your 5th string to G.

Option - tune the 3rd string up to A to exactly attain cello tuning.

spanishguitarmusic

Postby spanishguitarmusic » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:08 am

Dustin McKinney wrote:Practice, practice, practice! I am a choir director, and I teach bass clef to ALL of my singers. I utilize the website musictheory.net. Try this link: http://www.musictheory.net/exercises/note

Great website! :merci: for sharing this link! :)

dory

Postby dory » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:06 am

The online quizzes from music theory really help. Once I am slightly more confident I will try reading Bach's cello suites.
Dory

Luuttuaja

Postby Luuttuaja » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:29 pm

I have also learned a bit by using musictheory.net excercises.

Return to “Public Space”