Classical guitar for "jazz"

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
tbeltrans

Re: Classical guitar for "jazz"

Post by tbeltrans » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:26 am

I saw that there is a Charlie Byrd teaching video somewhere around Youtube. I don't recall the name of it, but apparently there was a book that was supposed to go with it. I saw Charlie Byrd a few times. One time he had a local 17 year old guy playing with him. I thought that was really a nice thing to do.

Tony

razz

Post by razz » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:46 am

tbeltrans wrote:I saw that there is a Charlie Byrd teaching video somewhere around Youtube. I don't recall the name of it, but apparently there was a book that was supposed to go with it. I saw Charlie Byrd a few times. One time he had a local 17 year old guy playing with him. I thought that was really a nice thing to do.

Tony
The video is called "Contemporary Acoustic Jazz Guitar". I like Charlie's playing better than his instructions on this video. His advice is general for the most part.

I don't think I can post the link here. You can find it rather easily. You might find it worth watching.

tbeltrans

Post by tbeltrans » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:45 pm

Yes, I am sure I can find it again if need be. He was definitely a major force in bringing bossa nova to the American consciousness. It is always fascinating how different folks can sound so different with the same instrument. Listen to Charlie Byrd, and then listen to Ralph Towner. :)

I have three books by Ralph Towner. One is his book on arranging and improvising, and the other two are his series of books of his solo guitar music compositions.

Tony

JohnW400

Post by JohnW400 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:56 pm

tbeltrans wrote:Yes, I am sure I can find it again if need be. He was definitely a major force in bringing bossa nova to the American consciousness. It is always fascinating how different folks can sound so different with the same instrument. Listen to Charlie Byrd, and then listen to Ralph Towner. :)

I have three books by Ralph Towner. One is his book on arranging and improvising, and the other two are his series of books of his solo guitar music compositions.

Tony

those are good books. There is also a copy of his "waltz for debbie' out there. I think it's a Hal Leonard artist transcription book of some arraignments by him.

doug

Post by doug » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:23 pm

I took fingerstyle lessons online from Martin Taylor for about a year, and I enjoyed them and learned quite a bit. I highly recommend him! He did a recording recently, available only to his patrons, using a classical guitar, and, in the accompanying write-up, he mentioned that Joe Pass once did an entire album on a classical guitar.
If you sign up for the lessons....the minimum time is three months.....you have access to all the sheet music on his site.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple. "Luz Blanca" 2015 German Vazquez Rubio "Estudio 640" SP/PE
2012 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, SP
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, C

William Gregg

Post by William Gregg » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:20 pm

I use Jody Fisher's great jazz instructional series as a framework for teaching students theory & improvisation whether they are primarily interested in jazz or not. One entire book in his series of 4 is devoted to chord melody playing. Several of my classical students have become proficient at jazz as well as the classics because of this. For the last 12 years the guitar soloist for the local high school's very impressive jazz orchestra has been one of my students.

Using Fisher's books, the students become increasingly familiar with scales, modes & arpeggios and their use in improvisation, also chord structure, inversions, voicings, substitutions and their use. I use the lead sheets from "557 Jazz Standards, Swing to Bop" (available all over the net) to put their knowledge to use and increase their proficiency in sight reading. As they progress through Jody Fisher's course and the jazz standards, they are able to develop credible single note or chord based solos, depending on the particular piece & style.

William Gregg

Post by William Gregg » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:30 pm

Well, I hit "submit" before I was finished. I would like to add that Charlie Byrd was one of my early influences, and the late Emily Remler's guitar playing is close to my ideal for jazz guitar. Also, I have a sheet of my favorite chord voicings for chord melody that I hand out to my students. I have also transcribed some of my chord melody versions of standards. These are popular recital pieces for the more advanced students.

I feel like their is a close connection between jazz on the nylon string guitar and the classical tradition.

musguitar

Post by musguitar » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:12 am

To rekindle this post on jazz using classical guitar-- Joe Pass did two albums using classical guitar-- (1) Remembering Charlie Parker, and (2) Songs for Ellen. I prefer his tone on the Parker Tribute album.

bluesnik

Post by bluesnik » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:56 am

After studying jazz guitar for a number of years before making the transition to Classical Guitar, I was intrigued after learning 'Romance de los Pinos', how much to my mind it resembled a chord melody arrangement.
2014 Ramirez 'Conservatorio' CD/IN
1975 Ramirez 1a Classical CD/BR
1976 Ramirez 1a Flamenco CD/CY

musguitar

Post by musguitar » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:48 am

tbeltrans wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:08 pm
Joe Pass has two CDs on which he plays chord melody solo on a classical guitar. I strongly recommend you give these a listen, and then do it again and again. "Songs For Ellen" and "Unforgettable" are the two albums. Of course, tehre are other players too such as Ralph Towner who has a couple of solo albums, and so do a number of other players. It would be worth your while to seek these out.

Tony
Tony, if I may add- Joe Pass' first classical guitar stringed solo album-- "I Remember Charlie Parker". Tonally and melodically-- I prefer this album over the albums you mentioned. My 2 cents. :merci:

Guitar Slim Jr.

Post by Guitar Slim Jr. » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:44 am

Joe Pass is way beyond me.

But if you want to see some good simple arrangements of bossa-nova standards, check out Jack Marshall's cleverly titled Bossa Nova Guitar Arrangements. These arrangements are straightforward, and the the harmony is clear but not overly simplified. The techniques he uses go beyond melody-over-bass or melody with block chords, but they're very clear to see. These are good examples for study, and good examples to play!

Along the same lines is Laurindo Almeida's Contemporary Moods for Classical Guitar. These arrangements are quite a bit more sophisticated than Marshall's. The part writing and counterpoint is more complex, and are much more "performance" pieces than Marshall's basic arrangements. Difficulty varies, but most can be played by a classical guitarist of intermediate skill. Also nice for study and performance.

Here are two examples of how pros do it, from a perspective that is more CG than jazz, and that don't go too far into jazz theory. It's all ii-V's and pop progressions, harmonized in 7ths, with a few 9s and a substitution thrown in here and there. To answer the OQ from the OP: This is how it's done.

pmiklitz

Post by pmiklitz » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:50 am

I usually start an arrangement with copying the melody and chords (changes) into Musescore from a Real/Fake Book.

Next I use the Transpose function to find a key that's most suitable for the guitar and the melody's range. Don't neglect the usefulness of a capo, e.g. if the original key is F, try an arrangement in E and play it with a capo on the 1st fret.

Once I determined the most suitable key, I start developing the bass line (I personally don't like the "chord melody" style where a block chord is played with every melody note), then I fill in the middle voices. Experiment with chord inversions to avoid duplicating notes, e.g. when the melody note is the root note of the chord. This often leads to an improved bass line. Also feel free to change the rhythm of e.g. the melody to give it more of a Jazz feel.

If you don't have a written source, the approach is more or less the same, i.e. find the key, write out the melody, then listen to the bass line to find the harmonies. With a bit of practice, you will start recognizing chords by their sound. A bit of theory knowledge helps as well, as many Jazz standards use e.g. I-VI-II-V and II-V patterns in different keys throughout.

I have lots of arrangements of copyrighted jazz standards available for sale on Sheet Music Plus, so in case you are interested in trying some of them search for Peter Miklitz there.

Good luck with your own experiments,

Peter
Dringt durch des Aberglaubens Nacht, die Euch zu finstern Köpfen macht. Christian Fürchtegott Gellert (1715 - 1769)

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:28 pm

Do you work from the melody or the chord progression?
both
Do you use a fake book or some kind of sheet music?
anything goes
Do you just wing it because you have heard the song a million times?
sure
Do you write out your arrangements?
no... I just play them - do not have time for that

what is important?
- to play guitar a lot :D
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:25 pm

I appreciate you guys' mentioning Joe Pass, because I honestly had never heard of him (my own myopia). Sampling a little of his albums mentioned, that's some great stuff.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:17 pm

ddray wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:25 pm
I appreciate you guys' mentioning Joe Pass, because I honestly had never heard of him (my own myopia). Sampling a little of his albums mentioned, that's some great stuff.
Joe Pass jazz arrangements are all playable on classical guitar and some of them are very cool and very complicated, one could find his scores and play them...
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

Return to “Public Space”