Classical guitar for "jazz"

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
StevSmar

Re: Classical guitar for "jazz"

Post by StevSmar » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:14 pm

I've been using the software "iReal Pro" to play backing tracks with which to experiment.

"iReal Pro" on iOS is essentially a jam track generator which allows you to either download or very easily input, the chords you see in The Real Book.

iReal Pro will then play back the chords in any of about 25 jazz styles, 20 Latin styles and 15 Pop styles (IIRC they are working on Blues specific styles).
Regards,

Steven from Winnipeg

StevSmar

Post by StevSmar » Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:21 pm

scottszone wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:19 pm
...Do you just wing it because you have heard the song a million times?
No, off the cuff improvisation is the result of thorough preparation...
That's good advice. I get very frustrated that my improvisation sounds like someone who is tone deaf and can't hold a beat!

Thanks for your encouraging words!
Regards,

Steven from Winnipeg

bergmann

Post by bergmann » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:13 pm

For those who like Pat Metheny's sound, there is a Bulgarian guitarist, Plamen Petrov, who has published seven volumes of original Jazz compositions. All are available without fingering, with fingerings, with tabs and finally a version for I-pads and other tablets. When you order pdf versions, you can get all four versions and only pay for one. They can also be ordered as print on demand. Plamen has made recordings of all the pieces and made them available for free. The last album is quite interesting - he has written the jazz pieces in traditional Bulgarian meters. Seach for "Plamen Petrov guitarist".

hoppy

Post by hoppy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:26 pm

AndreiKrylov wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:17 pm
ddray wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:25 pm
I appreciate you guys' mentioning Joe Pass, because I honestly had never heard of him (my own myopia). Sampling a little of his albums mentioned, that's some great stuff.
Joe Pass jazz arrangements are all playable on classical guitar and some of them are very cool and very complicated, one could find his scores and play them...
Joe Pass Chord Solos is relatively inexpensive and has some great solos (misty, blues) which with his chord book provide some good tools/ideas for solos. Reading the jazz chords in notation is a workout on its own.

ddray

Post by ddray » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:14 am

hoppy wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:26 pm
AndreiKrylov wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:17 pm
ddray wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:25 pm
I appreciate you guys' mentioning Joe Pass, because I honestly had never heard of him (my own myopia). Sampling a little of his albums mentioned, that's some great stuff.
Joe Pass jazz arrangements are all playable on classical guitar and some of them are very cool and very complicated, one could find his scores and play them...
Joe Pass Chord Solos is relatively inexpensive and has some great solos (misty, blues) which with his chord book provide some good tools/ideas for solos. Reading the jazz chords in notation is a workout on its own.
Wow, I looked it up on the big A site and it really is inexpensive. I'll have to get a copy. Thanks for the heads-up.

Rognvald

Post by Rognvald » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:39 pm

My approach is simple but it is based on a sound understanding of Music Theory. I usually devote the end of a practice session when I'm working on a Classical piece and then shift to my new arrangement. First, I copy the melody and chord structure from a fake book. Then, I memorize the melody so that I never have to look at the music. After being comfortable with the melody, I will add embellishments as I replay the melody. I will continue to experiment with chords, chord inversions, rhythmic nuances, etc. and allow the piece to evolve naturally according to MY EAR, not the suggestions of a computer program or "How To" book. This way it is more organic and original to me. It can develop quickly or may take quite awhile to get the sound I want to hear. This was also the process I used in a former life when I played Tenor Sax/Flute in Jazz/R&B bands in the Chicago area. Hope this helps. Playing again . . . Rognvald
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spake Zarathustra

Return to “Public Space”