New guitar care question

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Kspence
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:53 pm

New guitar care question

Postby Kspence » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:05 pm

Hello everyone, I recently just got a Cordoba C10 All solid with Spruce top and I was wondering about if I should get a humidifier for inside the case as well as a hygrometer. I live in California Bay Area and I'm not too knowledgeable about guitar care. I do always put the guitar back in the case after playing. I have been playing classical guitar for over 10 years but I have always played my dads 1979 Yamaha G-235. It wasn't until a few months ago i purchased a cordoba C7 cedar top, and than this week a C10 Spruce top.

Also, if anyone has advice on what's the best fabric to wipe a guitar down with safely, I'm in love with my C10.

One more question off topic, does the C10 rosette have a mother of pearl inlay in the design? It's a little hard for me to tell. When I researched online it says it does but I was wondering if anyone can confirm.

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: New guitar care question

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:31 pm

Yes I would get a humidifier. My sons C9 has two awful cracks from the guitar drying out. You can see a picture of in in the luthiers section under thread title "crack". I use gerlitz cloths for my CG. And I don't use wax on it. Just a little Gerlitz Smudge Off. you will want a case that seals, like the Humicase. Guit Cnter sells them for 129.99. It's the cheapest humidity case out there and comes with the humidifiers and solution.

User avatar
joachim33
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:21 pm
Location: Skåne

Re: New guitar care question

Postby joachim33 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:06 pm

Kspence wrote:Hello everyone, I recently just got a Cordoba C10 All solid with Spruce top and I was wondering about if I should get a humidifier for inside the case as well as a hygrometer. I live in California Bay Area and I'm not too knowledgeable about guitar care. I do always put the guitar back in the case after playing. I have been playing classical guitar for over 10 years but I have always played my dads 1979 Yamaha G-235. It wasn't until a few months ago i purchased a cordoba C7 cedar top, and than this week a C10 Spruce top. .


You need to get an idea what the humidity in your house is like. Guitars like 40-60%. If you are below or at the low end do something to increase it for the guitar. If you are at the top or above get it down. I am in Sweden and my house is currently very dry inside. I use a simple sound hole device to increase the humidity in the case.

I shared a few videos on this yesterday. If you search for my recent posts you'll find them (I am writing from my mobile).

Kspence
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:53 pm

Re: New guitar care question

Postby Kspence » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:28 pm

Okay great thank you for all of the information, I am looking up the Humicase right now, is it the Humicase Protege? I will definitely make that purchase. And I will also buy a humidifier tester to find out what my house is at.

User avatar
Luuttuaja
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:35 pm
Location: Finland

Re: New guitar care question

Postby Luuttuaja » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:57 pm

I would suggest buying an analog hygrometer. You will need to calibrate it every now and then, though. Then you would know if your house humidity is too low.

Kspence
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:53 pm

Re: New guitar care question

Postby Kspence » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:28 pm

Luuttuaja wrote:I would suggest buying an analog hygrometer. You will need to calibrate it every now and then, though. Then you would know if your house humidity is too low.


I was thinking about that, I was researching the Oasis OH-2 brand with a clip that I can install inside of the guitar case. It seems to have good reviews.

The difference from my C7 cedar to the C10 Spruce is huge, I can hear every detail and the harmonics ring out in the body of the guitar for what seems like forever! I could only imagine how those high end luthier built guitars sound and feel. One day :)

Kspence
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:53 pm

Re: New guitar care question

Postby Kspence » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:44 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:Yes I would get a humidifier. My sons C9 has two awful cracks from the guitar drying out. You can see a picture of in in the luthiers section under thread title "crack". I use gerlitz cloths for my CG. And I don't use wax on it. Just a little Gerlitz Smudge Off. you will want a case that seals, like the Humicase. Guit Cnter sells them for 129.99. It's the cheapest humidity case out there and comes with the humidifiers and solution.


I just saw your post, thank you for sharing the picture that's good to know. I do not plan to travel with my guitar anytime soon but I will make sure to get the Humicase Protege

StevSmar
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:42 pm
Location: Winnipeg Canada

Re: New guitar care question

Postby StevSmar » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:52 am

Kspence wrote:.... I do not plan to travel with my guitar anytime soon but I will make sure to get the Humicase Protege

I wouldn't consider the Humicase a good travelling case, their fibreglass is too easily damaged. It is an excellent case for humidifying though, based on my experience with two of them.
Regards,

Steven from Winnipeg

Kspence
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:53 pm

Re: New guitar care question

Postby Kspence » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:37 am

Thank you, If I do travel with a guitar I will most likely plan on traveling with my C7 so I don't have to stress to much..

souldier
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:45 pm

Re: New guitar care question

Postby souldier » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:46 am

First step is to get a decently accurate hygrometer. The Caliber off a m a z o n or Acurite comes to mind. I am not familiar with the humidity conditions in your area... even if the humidity on the forecast says 80%, it could be as low as 30% indoors!

If you ever get readings below 40%, you'll definitely need to humidify. If you haven't humidified at all since you got the guitar, then I'd start humidifying it right away to be on the safe side. It is quite common for a spruce or cedar top to get hairline cracks especially along the fingerboard, but it seems ESPECIALLY common on Cordoba guitars. It doesn't mean they are poorly made, but simply that their design makes them particularly vulnerable to those kind of cracks. Humidipaks from d'addario can work well to absorb or release humidity so as to avoid over or under humidifying, but they can sometimes be tedious to place and remove from the sound hole. I only use humidipaks in the soundhole if I am going out of town for a while. Otherwise I use my own homemade sponge solution with propylene glycol which helps to absorb excess moisture as well.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Philosopherguy
Posts: 779
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:40 am
Location: Niagara, Ontario, Canada

Re: New guitar care question

Postby Philosopherguy » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:59 am

Kspence wrote:
Luuttuaja wrote:I would suggest buying an analog hygrometer. You will need to calibrate it every now and then, though. Then you would know if your house humidity is too low.


I was thinking about that, I was researching the Oasis OH-2 brand with a clip that I can install inside of the guitar case. It seems to have good reviews.

The difference from my C7 cedar to the C10 Spruce is huge, I can hear every detail and the harmonics ring out in the body of the guitar for what seems like forever! I could only imagine how those high end luthier built guitars sound and feel. One day :)


I use the Oasis hygrometers for my needs. I have a few around and I keep 1 in the house near where I store my guitars just to get an idea of what the house is at, then I use a couple in cases. I don't put a hygrometer in each guitar case. I just want to know roughly what is going on with the guitars in random cases - whichever guitar I happen to chose at that time. Humidity isn't necessarily an exact science and if you are anywhere around between 40 to 60%, you are going to be ok. I typically don't get too worried about humidity until the house goes below 35% (Wood doesn't take on/lose moisture all that quickly so you have time to react to these peaks and valleys).

I use a couple Oasis humidifier's too in my guitar cases, but I also use some old pill bottles with holes drilled in them and a sponge inside that I keep damp. Both ideas work fine. You have to be more careful with the sponge not to get it sopping wet, you just want it moist so it won't leak if the pill bottle tips over. You don't have to be exact with humidity. Just keep the guitars in a half decent environment and they will be fine. Of course, different guitars react differently to humidity so use your better judgement on these things. This has always been my experience. A brand new Cordoba's fingerboard might be a little more temperamental then my guitars to humidity because it wasn't likely aged/dried for as long as some makers might have aged them. But, I don't know this for a fact. It is just a guess based on some problems I have seen popping up around here with them.

Martin
*************************************************************
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

montana
Posts: 1262
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:46 pm

Re: New guitar care question

Postby montana » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:53 am

Goggles it. Your average humidity level in the bay area is 74%. Should you really be worrying about adding humidity ? I live on the Pacific Ocean as well. Never worried about it.

User avatar
joachim33
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:21 pm
Location: Skåne

Re: New guitar care question

Postby joachim33 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:54 am

joachim33 wrote:
Kspence wrote:Hello everyone, I recently just got a Cordoba C10 All solid with Spruce top and I was wondering about if I should get a humidifier for inside the case as well as a hygrometer. I live in California Bay Area and I'm not too knowledgeable about guitar care. I do always put the guitar back in the case after playing. I have been playing classical guitar for over 10 years but I have always played my dads 1979 Yamaha G-235. It wasn't until a few months ago i purchased a cordoba C7 cedar top, and than this week a C10 Spruce top. .


You need to get an idea what the humidity in your house is like. Guitars like 40-60%. If you are below or at the low end do something to increase it for the guitar. If you are at the top or above get it down. I am in Sweden and my house is currently very dry inside. I use a simple sound hole device to increase the humidity in the case.

I shared a few videos on this yesterday. If you search for my recent posts you'll find them (I am writing from my mobile).


This is the thread which contains my contribution with the video links: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111650

User avatar
joachim33
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:21 pm
Location: Skåne

Re: New guitar care question

Postby joachim33 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:56 am

Luuttuaja wrote:I would suggest buying an analog hygrometer. You will need to calibrate it every now and then, though. Then you would know if your house humidity is too low.


What is wrong with digital ones? I find most digital kit (thermometers, scales) to be extremely precise, at a level ordinary analogue kit is not. Is that different with hygrometers?

User avatar
joachim33
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:21 pm
Location: Skåne

Re: New guitar care question

Postby joachim33 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:00 am

montana wrote:Goggles it. Your average humidity level in the bay area is 74%. Should you really be worrying about adding humidity ? I live on the Pacific Ocean as well. Never worried about it.


What is that 74%? Inside/outside, at which temperature. I have digital hygrometers (no proper clue how precise they are), but often showing 90% or more outside and 35% inside. That is in the middle of the heating period in southern Sweden. Taking outside humidity from the weather forecast is not good enough if you have a significant difference in temperature.


Return to “Public Space”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Brandwatch [Bot], CommonCrawl [Bot], D.Cass, Google Adsense [Bot], Hotsoup, joachim33, Laudiesdad69, ragdoll serenade and 20 guests