New guitar care question

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
JohnB

Re: New guitar care question

Post by JohnB » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:24 am

I would get a Caliber IV hygrometer. They are some of the most accurate hygrometers around (probably the most accurate you can get for sensible money).
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Kspence

Post by Kspence » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:31 pm

Thank you everyone for the advice, I will get a hygrometer to test my area and go from there

dory

Post by dory » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:11 pm

Thank you for posting this. I played a laminated guitar for many years, and never worried about humidity. It didn't have a very good sound but was indestructable. I now have an Alhambra 7p. It is not fancy but it has a solid top and a pretty nice sound and I am in love with it since it is such a huge step up from my old guitar. It was also a gift from my husband to say he loves me and supports me in the endeavor of playing the guitar, so it is previoys to me. I have been using one of those sponge humidifiers inside my very cheap case that came with the guitar. Since I live in Wisconsin which can get dry in winter, I should probably get a humidicase. If I travel I will take my indestructable old guitar, so I am not so worried about a travel case. I just really don't want cracks. I really apreciate this posting.
Dory

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:24 pm

Kspence: I live in Berkeley. When I bought my guitar at Guitar Solo in S.F I was told not to bother with humidification unless I left the area. John Mello, a luthier in my neighborhood, also says he doesn't worry about humidity here. It's a near perfect environment for classical guitars. That said, I use a humidipak in the winter when the heat is on, and in the summer in an attempt to lower the humidity in my case. Tellingly, I haven't had to replace my humidipak over the last 7 months. In the long summer, RH is typically in the 70's outside and near that indoors, as I leave my windows open. So get an hygrometer for sure. But we're moving into the long months when RH is likely to hover around or exceed 60% indoors. A dry humidipak to absorb moisture in your case is more likely what you will want. Happily my guitar was built in Portland so it's 'used to' humidity.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:51 pm

joachim33 wrote:
Luuttuaja wrote:I would suggest buying an analog hygrometer. You will need to calibrate it every now and then, though. Then you would know if your house humidity is too low.
What is wrong with digital ones? I find most digital kit (thermometers, scales) to be extremely precise, at a level ordinary analogue kit is not. Is that different with hygrometers?
Digital ones will work, too. I just like analog ones since they are inexpensive and easy to move from room to another etc. Most important thing is to have one!

Kspence

Post by Kspence » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:56 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:Kspence: I live in Berkeley. When I bought my guitar at Guitar Solo in S.F I was told not to bother with humidification unless I left the area. John Mello, a luthier in my neighborhood, also says he doesn't worry about humidity here. It's a near perfect environment for classical guitars. That said, I use a humidipak in the winter when the heat is on, and in the summer in an attempt to lower the humidity in my case. Tellingly, I haven't had to replace my humidipak over the last 7 months. In the long summer, RH is typically in the 70's outside and near that indoors, as I leave my windows open. So get an hygrometer for sure. But we're moving into the long months when RH is likely to hover around or exceed 60% indoors. A dry humidipak to absorb moisture in your case is more likely what you will want. Happily my guitar was built in Portland so it's 'used to' humidity.
That is great to know, I never thought about any issues to worry about until purchasing this guitar. I figured we are good over here with humidity but I wasn't sure.

I do have another question, I ordered my guitar from guitar center and made sure I got one that has never been opened (I hate the fact that there's some classicals I have played that has huge pick scratch marks on it) so it came from the Kansas Guitar center warehouse. Could this have any effect on the guitar? I am also curious how they store the guitars in the warehouse. My guitar is completely fine but I'm hoping there is no hidden issues that I will find out down the road

montana

Post by montana » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:07 am

joachim33 wrote:
montana wrote:Goggles it. Your average humidity level in the bay area is 74%. Should you really be worrying about adding humidity ? I live on the Pacific Ocean as well. Never worried about it.
What is that 74%? Inside/outside, at which temperature. I have digital hygrometers (no proper clue how precise they are), but often showing 90% or more outside and 35% inside. That is in the middle of the heating period in southern Sweden. Taking outside humidity from the weather forecast is not good enough if you have a significant difference in temperature.
That is outside readings. Can't be inside because everyone would differ depending on their heating /air conditioning requirements. The original poster is living in ideal conditions being in the bay area. You however..in Sweden . . are not so fortunate. But I'm only assuming that you have a bigger temperature swing from summer to winter.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:37 am

dory wrote:Thank you for posting this. I played a laminated guitar for many years, and never worried about humidity. It didn't have a very good sound but was indestructable. I now have an Alhambra 7p. It is not fancy but it has a solid top and a pretty nice sound and I am in love with it since it is such a huge step up from my old guitar. It was also a gift from my husband to say he loves me and supports me in the endeavor of playing the guitar, so it is previoys to me. I have been using one of those sponge humidifiers inside my very cheap case that came with the guitar. Since I live in Wisconsin which can get dry in winter, I should probably get a humidicase. If I travel I will take my indestructable old guitar, so I am not so worried about a travel case. I just really don't want cracks. I really apreciate this posting.
Dory, Guit Cntr sells those Humicases so inexpensive. I wouldn't trust one for flying (the airlines would destroy it) but they do a great job of sealing the humidity in the case. I have one that the seal is so tight, that it is hard to get open without exerting some pressure on the lid. Then it makes this suction cup like sound when the seal breaks. If my son's guitar would have been in one, we wouldn't be repairing two cracks. He lives in Colorado Springs and two months there was all that was required to destroy it. His case didn't seal, and his humidifiers weren't enough as his guitar was in a wall unit heated dormitory and had humidity in the teens.

Kspence

Post by Kspence » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:01 pm

It's good to know the humidity in my area is ideal. I guess I'm more worried about my guitar coming from Kansas if that can have any effect on it? Or if any effect can "heal" itself with the correct humidity

Again thank you all for the help, as you can see I am obsessed with my new guitar.. 1 day I would really like to get a handmade luthier built guitar. But right now I can't fork over a lump of cash (I have a 1 week old baby) so the guitar center credit card helps a lot so I don't have to put $1,200 down at one time.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:12 pm

Kspence congratulations on the new baby! I'm like you, I obsess over the proper care of my guitar. Watch out for the metal clasps on your case! they can puncture the top if they fall on the guitar. I always hold the lid with one hand when I take my guitar out or put it away.(I'm picturing you holding the baby in one arm and putting the guitar in the case with the other, and , craash!) As for your guitar coming from Kansas: I doubt that this will be an issue, but others with more knowledge may have a better answer. Yes, Guitar Center has a great payment plan.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Kspence

Post by Kspence » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:16 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:Kspence congratulations on the new baby! I'm like you, I obsess over the proper care of my guitar. Watch out for the metal clasps on your case! they can puncture the top if they fall on the guitar. I always hold the lid with one hand when I take my guitar out or put it away.(I'm picturing you holding the baby in one arm and putting the guitar in the case with the other, and , craash!) As for your guitar coming from Kansas: I doubt that this will be an issue, but others with more knowledge may have a better answer. Yes, Guitar Center has a great payment plan.
Thank you!! And that's a great idea, I'm extra careful putting the guitar away, this is my first all solid guitar and I know it is more delicate than my C7 with laminate sides..

John Stone

Post by John Stone » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:38 am

Your guitar should be fine in the Bay Area. Just be careful when changing strings and temporarily cover the top behind the bridge to protect it from unruly string ends. That may be the #1 way to ding up a top.
2001 Manuel Velazquez
1977 Ramirez 1a
2014 Cordoba C10
They said, "You have a blue guitar, You do not play things as they are." The man replied, "Things as they are / Are changed upon the blue guitar."

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:56 am

Coming from Kansas City will no be an issue. A hygrometer is a must. Read it regularly and make whatever adjustment necessary. Where you live, that will no be much most of the year. Where I am in PA, I get about 6 month where I can do nothing, 3 to humidity and 3 to dehumidifier.
Ideal for most guitars is around 45% but swings from 35% to 65% won'the hurt anything. Much more or less than that and it's time to adjust the environment.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

Sharkbait

Post by Sharkbait » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:20 am

Would anyone be able to advise how best to protect guitars from too much humidity? I'm from Singapore, where it's always hot and humid (humidity is pretty much constantly above 65%). While I know higher humidity won't result in cracks to the guitar, I suppose the heat and humidity can cause the guitar to lose sound/sound "flabby". So besides keeping the guitar in a sealed case, what else should I do? Use dehumidifiers? Any suggestions which dehumidifiers? Thanks

keithwwk

Post by keithwwk » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:33 am

Hello Sharbait,

I do want to know what is the best method too to bring down the humid. I know aircon and dehumidifier are both very effective way but quite costly and need a delicate room for this.

Recently I just started to look into humudity issue in Sg here. I am now using industrial grade silicon packs to dry my guitars. These can be reactivated by heating in up at 125°C for 8 hrs. I firstly tried on a used gator hardcase and monitor the reading by a digital hygrometer. By 4 to 6 packs dry the inside quite well with 55% to 65% (home reading is abt 75% to 90%. But the problem is the gator hardcase not very good sealed. So the silicon packs need to replace and reactivate almost weekly. Just last week, I got a new lightweight hardcase labled as "Rapsody". This case seem sealed pretty well when locked. 2 packs can keep humidity reading like forever 54% or 56% after 1 week of usage by at least open/close twice a day to take out and put in back the guitar. Maybe the case is still very new and dry? So I am now looking at D'Addario's Humiditrak hope to use it to monitor the level without opening the case thru smartphone.

I got an other ideal is to custom build a bigger camera dry cabinet for guitar storage should be much more cost effective in long run.

Can't help much just sharing my experince.
Antonio Picado Model 60 Spruce 2017
M.Sakurai No.5 Cedar 1976
Yamaha G225

Return to “Public Space”