New guitar care question

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Andrew Pohlman

Re: New guitar care question

Postby Andrew Pohlman » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:56 pm

joachim33 wrote:
montana wrote:Goggles it. Your average humidity level in the bay area is 74%. Should you really be worrying about adding humidity ? I live on the Pacific Ocean as well. Never worried about it.

What is that 74%? Inside/outside, at which temperature. I have digital hygrometers (no proper clue how precise they are), but often showing 90% or more outside and 35% inside. That is in the middle of the heating period in southern Sweden. Taking outside humidity from the weather forecast is not good enough if you have a significant difference in temperature.
I live in the SF Bay Area and I regularly measure relative humidity. It is NOT 74% average (if I read the previous statement correctly). I see more like 50-60% RH. The SF Bay Area is semi-arid. In winter, the RH gets below 40. If it gets to the 70% range, I'm shocked, and it won't stay there for long.

Advice from someone who lives in SF Bay Area and has been managing guitar humidity for 5 years : there's almost nothing to worry about. Watch it closely when frigid northern storms come in - that's when you'll see RH drop below 40% --> 35 or below. Having said that, I keep my guitar cases at 60% RH so I have a buffer zone between acceptable lows and highs, and as a guard against hot trips in the car.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Re: New guitar care question

Postby Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:04 pm

If you're on the bay itself, the RH is much higher than just south or east or north of the bay. The fog in summer really raises the RH. Inland--Silicon Valley, Walnut Creek etc.--but still in the Bay area, it's dryer for sure.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Return to “Public Space”