New Stenzel came to me

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
simonm
Amateur luthier

Re: New Stenzel came to me

Postby simonm » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:36 am

Guitar-ded wrote:George, I'm pretty sure it's quilted.

Yes. There may be other words too. Spalted refers to a fungal infection which results in specular colours rather than a pattern in the wood grain.

George Crocket

Postby George Crocket » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:45 am

simonm wrote:
Guitar-ded wrote:George, I'm pretty sure it's quilted.

Yes. There may be other words too. Spalted refers to a fungal infection which results in specular colours rather than a pattern in the wood grain.

Thanks, guys. Quilted or whatever, it is beautiful.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Michael.N.

Postby Michael.N. » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:11 am

Quilted, for sure. Maple comes in flamed, quilted, plain, spalted and birds eye. Flamed being the type commonly seen on violins.
At an educated guess the Stenzel looks like it might be American quilted maple, which is a touch more towards red in the colour spectrum. European maple being more creamy white.
Historicalguitars.

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:14 am

Michael.N. wrote:...
At an educated guess the Stenzel looks like it might be American quilted maple, which is a touch more towards red in the colour spectrum. European maple being more creamy white.

I remember he said it's from Canada ... I'll ask him all these questions next time I see him.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:36 am

How would you describe the tone of the guitar; maybe compared to the tone of Brazilian Rosewood (CSA)? I keep seeing more instruments with backs and sides of alternative materials that do not require CITES documentation.
The pictures you posted show a very beautiful guitar. Congratulations!
Hauser III 2014!

Asa Guitar

Postby Asa Guitar » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:54 pm

Maple have many name, even.. ghost maple for make a guitar. Whatever now, your guitar look perfect. Congrat Rojaros!
1976 Flamenco Masaru Kohno no. 20 Spruce/Cypress
1966 Kuniharu Nobe spruce/Jacaranda

Michael.N.

Postby Michael.N. » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:17 pm

Jack Douglas wrote:How would you describe the tone of the guitar; maybe compared to the tone of Brazilian Rosewood (CSA)? I keep seeing more instruments with backs and sides of alternative materials that do not require CITES documentation.

Yes, and some of us have been using so called alternative materials for years. I say 'alternative', maple has a very long history when it comes to stringed musical instruments. I don't know why it was largely ignored by the vast majority of guitar buyers for so many years.
Historicalguitars.

SteveL123

Postby SteveL123 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:30 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Michael.N. wrote:...

I remember he said it's from Canada ... I'll ask him all these questions next time I see him.

Don't forget, the Canadian flag has a maple leaf on it. So Canada must have an abundance of maple trees?

Michael.N.

Postby Michael.N. » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:02 pm

Of course. The US too. Amongst violin makers Bosnia is well known for it's maple but of course it grows all over Europe. Around 10 years ago I bought some very nicely flame maple that had come from a tree in Scotland.
The Canadian variety is known as rock or hard maple (Acer saccharum), the European maple is slightly softer (acer pseudoplatanus). Most of the maple that I get is European, except birds eye which is more prevalent in the hard N.American maples. I suspect the quilt figure is more common in that species too, which is probably why Stenzel sourced it from Canada. Personally I like the flamed European maple over the quilt or birds eye but that's just personal preference in respect to aesthetics.
Historicalguitars.

CathyCate

Postby CathyCate » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:15 pm

Congratulations! I coveted a Quilted Maple on the GSI website for ages. I am still not over it. Studied those Stenzel photos for months even after it had been sold. I am eager to hear yours. Clearly this was meant to be. Enjoy!

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:15 pm

Jack Douglas wrote:How would you describe the tone of the guitar; maybe compared to the tone of Brazilian Rosewood (CSA)? I keep seeing more instruments with backs and sides of alternative materials that do not require CITES documentation.

Many thanks to everybody.

@Jack Douglas: I don't know too many Brazilian rosewood guitars to compare. I can just recount a recent episode: recently I was at Sebastian Stenzels workshop to do a recording of five different guitars. A friend and customer of Sebastian came, he's a professional player, and played two different pieces on the following guitars: quilted maple/spruce (the one that is now visible at GSI as being on hold), sorb tree/cedar (the one I've been talking about recently in another post), a Madagascar RW/spruce that went to GB and a Brazilian rosewood/spruce that went to China. They were all totally new, so much so, that one of them was basically brought to full string tension just during the recording (it was the last one). The fifth (and outside the series, was my Baarslag, which I had with me and asked the player to play too, because I wanted to have a professionally recorded sample for potential buyers)

Now, I suspect that if we didn't see the guitars, if they were behind a curtain, we wouldn't be really able to tell them much apart, maybe with the exception of the cedar top one, that had certain characteristics that were different from the other lot. The Baarslag was clearly different in character and didn't fit the series (but he also played different pieces on it, so there was no chance to confuse it anyway, even later on recordings; it didn't sound lousy either :lol: ).

Everybody in the room agreed that they all four were outstanding instruments and that the very rare and expensive old Brazilian Rosewood that was used for one of them didn't offer any difference worth the trouble and price, neither in volume nor in timbre.

Sebastian himself says, that maple is his favoured wood and I can only say that every single maple guitar he made was among those I liked most of his guitars. The recent highly ornamented quilted guitar maple that is at present at GSI is made from Bosnian variety. BTW it would make for an interesting listening test to compare the recordings of the four different Stenzel guitars. I'l ask the artist if I may use it for it.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:26 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:

Many thanks to everybody.

@Jack Douglas: I don't know too many Brazilian rosewood guitars to compare. I can just recount a recent episode: recently I was at Sebastian Stenzels workshop to do a recording of five different guitars. A friend and customer of Sebastian came, he's a professional player, and played two different pieces on the following guitars: quilted maple/spruce (the one that is now visible at GSI as being on hold), sorb tree/cedar (the one I've been talking about recently in another post), a Madagascar RW/spruce that went to GB and a Brazilian rosewood/spruce that went to China. They were all totally new, so much so, that one of them was basically brought to full string tension just during the recording (it was the last one). The fifth (and outside the series, was my Baarslag, which I had with me and asked the player to play too, because I wanted to have a professionally recorded sample for potential buyers)

Now, I suspect that if we didn't see the guitars, if they were behind a curtain, we wouldn't be really able to tell them much apart, maybe with the exception of the cedar top one, that had certain characteristics that were different from the other lot. The Baarslag was clearly different in character and didn't fit the series (but he also played different pieces on it, so there was no chance to confuse it anyway, even later on recordings; it didn't sound lousy either :lol: ).

Everybody in the room agreed that they all four were outstanding instruments and that the very rare and expensive old Brazilian Rosewood that was used for one of them didn't offer any difference worth the trouble and price, neither in volume nor in timbre.

Sebastian himself says, that maple is his favoured wood and I can only say that every single maple guitar he made was among those I liked most of his guitars. The recent highly ornamented quilted guitar maple that is at present at GSI is made from Bosnian variety. BTW it would make for an interesting listening test to compare the recordings of the four different Stenzel guitars. I'l ask the artist if I may use it for it.

Many thanks, Rojaros. Your post confirms what I've been observing about guitars that use quilted maple or similar materials. I'm considering a second guitar using such wood so that I can take it with me when I travel without worry of passing through customs or of humidity variations. Marcin Dylla plays a maple back and sides guitar that I heard him play last year and if my eyes had been closed I would not have known it was maple. Thank you very much for your very thoughtful and detailed reply!

Jack
Hauser III 2014!

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:28 pm

Jack Douglas wrote:... Marcin Dylla plays a maple back and sides guitar that I heard him play last year and if my eyes had been closed I would not have known it was maple. Thank you very much for your very thoughtful and detailed reply!

Jack

Even more than that, if you learn to know the special qualities of maple guitars, it's not a lack of rosewood, it's a bonus of maple :D

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:34 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Jack Douglas wrote:... Marcin Dylla plays a maple back and sides guitar that I heard him play last year and if my eyes had been closed I would not have known it was maple. Thank you very much for your very thoughtful and detailed reply!

Jack

Even more than that, if you learn to know the special qualities of maple guitars, it's not a lack of rosewood, it's a bonus of maple :D

:D
Hauser III 2014!

Michael.N.

Postby Michael.N. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:45 am

Don't forget walnut, along with maple probably my favourite 'alternative' wood. Less common but it's also sometimes available with figure. Of course it's much darker than maple and some examples have lovely rich colouring. Walnut is in the same density bracket as maple, so I'm pretty certain that no one could tell the difference between the two woods in any sonic test. . . . unless they hear tone with their eyes.
Historicalguitars.

Return to “Public Space”