New Stenzel came to me

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Jack Douglas

Re: New Stenzel came to me

Post by Jack Douglas » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:30 am

Michael.N. wrote:Don't forget walnut, along with maple probably my favourite 'alternative' wood. Less common but it's also sometimes available with figure. Of course it's much darker than maple and some examples have lovely rich colouring. Walnut is in the same density bracket as maple, so I'm pretty certain that no one could tell the difference between the two woods in any sonic test. . . . unless they hear tone with their eyes.
Ashley Sanders made a guitar with burl ash, very attractive, and with a rich deep bass. Anybody have any experience with ash?
Hauser III 2014!

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:02 pm

Jack Douglas wrote:How would you describe the tone of the guitar; maybe compared to the tone of Brazilian Rosewood (CSA)? I keep seeing more instruments with backs and sides of alternative materials that do not require CITES documentation.
The pictures you posted show a very beautiful guitar. Congratulations!
Are you interested in this Hauser III spruce/birdseye maple? :wink:
Hazelfichte.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:14 pm

bacsidoan wrote:
Jack Douglas wrote:How would you describe the tone of the guitar; maybe compared to the tone of Brazilian Rosewood (CSA)? I keep seeing more instruments with backs and sides of alternative materials that do not require CITES documentation.
The pictures you posted show a very beautiful guitar. Congratulations!
Are you interested in this Hauser III spruce/birdseye maple? :wink:

Hazelfichte.jpg
Wow! That is beautiful! Not in my cards at the moment! Thanks for posting the picture.
Hauser III 2014!

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:30 pm

Jack Douglas wrote:
Michael.N. wrote:Don't forget walnut, along with maple probably my favourite 'alternative' wood. Less common but it's also sometimes available with figure. Of course it's much darker than maple and some examples have lovely rich colouring. Walnut is in the same density bracket as maple, so I'm pretty certain that no one could tell the difference between the two woods in any sonic test. . . . unless they hear tone with their eyes.
Ashley Sanders made a guitar with burl ash, very attractive, and with a rich deep bass. Anybody have any experience with ash?
I made a lute with ash, actually figured ash. It's hardly a common wood in respect of lutes, although it is known.
On classical guitars it's extremely rare, such that I've never seen one in almost 40 years of being around guitars (I've seen a few in pictures). Far more common in the electric guitar world because Fender used it (amongst others).
Density is similar to maple and walnut, perhaps a touch harder. I suspect it will sound perfectly fine. You could be forgiven for thinking that this is maple but I assure you that it is ash. The grain lines are more prominent. I'm not sure I'd want to use burl ash on account of stability but figured ash looks very attractive and it's stable. Plain (i.e. without any figure) ash might be a bit uninspiring for some.

Historicalguitars.

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:14 pm

Based on what I've seen with baseball bats made with ash, I suspect that classical guitars made with ash will be just fine. Very beautiful lute by the way.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:56 pm

The lute is beautiful. Whether the Hauser III guitars would keep up with Stenzel guitars I don't know. Sebastian once had a Hauser II in his workshop and I could compare it to one of his guitars that just were finished, and if I had choice I had taken his guitar and not the Hauser. But of course I'm just an ignorant 'lay practitioner of guitar' :lol:
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:59 pm

While I read this I remembered that one of the four guitars I was talking about in the post about the sorb tree guitar that cam to GSI was not Madagascar rosewood but walnut. The Madagascar rosewood was the in the previous recording session I did there. Yes, the walnut guitar was very similar to the maple one soundwise, and the walnut was also nicely figured. It went to GB.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

rojarosguitar

First little recording: Stenzel came to me

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:04 pm

I did a quick recording of the new Stenzel. As I didn't have the time and space to put up my proper recording equipment I just took my iPhone and put the Zoom IQ7 into it, and recorded it using DA Multitrack app (very cool app, I must say).

I added a bit reverb, because the mic was very close to the guitar. The sound is a bit harsh as compared to a really good microphone, but I think the basic qualities of the guitar shine through...

Youtube

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:54 am

Here's another, better quality recording
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111745

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:10 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:Here's another, better quality recording
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111745
Sweet sounding! What was the recording setup?

Big bird

Post by Big bird » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:56 pm

Very nice, guitar sounds great.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:57 pm

Nothing special, really. I own good stuff, but didn't like to burden myself with setting it up. So it's just a Tascam DR-40 mobile recorder fed with Mikrofonbau Haun Obrigheim OSS surface boundary stereo mic. It's an very good and open sounding mic, and very fast too, but quite noisy because of the minute diaphragms (same problem as with many Earthworks mics ; though Earthworks are even better soundwise, but are noisy, too).

The advantage is that you can just toss it onto the dinner table, no stands involved, and here you go ... not so much 'tech mode' involved.

After recording fed into Studio One V2 Pro software and mixed down to 16bit/48khz for film, with just a pinch of reverb. No EQ, compression or what else involved (as it is often the case with the posh guitar videos of the famous shops ...)

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:53 pm

I do not own any recording equipment. I tried recording myself using my Android phone in video and audio only and they both sound terrible. Maybe it's really my playing that is bad. What should I buy without spending a fortune to get better quality recording?

mmapag

Post by mmapag » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:42 pm

Lovely Robert! Very sweet trebles without any harshness. Some maples I've heard can be a little bright and harsh, especially in the first few positions. The sweetness of the trebles really were remarkable to me.
'13 Esteve 7 SM
'75 Takamine 132 S
'99 G.V. Rubio Estudio, Cedar, Palo Escrito

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:42 pm

I'm nobody in the guitar world, so to extol the qualities as 'objective' qualities certainly would be arrogant, but for myself I can say, this guitar has it all ...

Return to “Public Space”