New Stenzel came to me

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
rojarosguitar

Re: New Stenzel came to me

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:53 pm

So, now I have asked about the woods of my guitar. The top is Alpine spruce from Austria, it is coming from the same big trunk Sebstian Stenzel is still using since I met him many years ago. He bought the whole tree and cut it up all by himself. It is the common thread through all his spruce guitars.

The quilted Maple body (back and sides) is made from Canadian Rock Maple (also known as Sugar Maple). He says that the very special thing about this Maple variety seems to be that the wood is interspersed with very hard islands.

Now, the finger board is made from a variety of ebony that might even not exist anymore. It was bought from a stock of a very ancient Vienna ebonist business and was there at least since 1850 (you may want to look into a book about the History of the USA to figure what that means, it was sitting in their stock at least 10 years befor the beginning of the civil war), so it is at least 167 years old. Sebastian told me, it is so hard that he could as well have used iron for the fingerboard.

The bridge is made from Madagascar rosewood. It is not french-polished but only oiled and waxed. I quite like it that way.

The guitar weighs 1351g (my Stenzel flamenca blanca, cypress and spruce, weighs 1323g, although it has super light custom made Reischl tuners, whereas this one has your friendly standard Alessi tuners).
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:26 pm

Thanks for posting those details Robert, very interesting. I had presumed before reading this that the maple might have been Bosnian or similar, not Canadian.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:41 pm

Sebastian says, he'd love to buy more of this Canadian maple of this high quality ...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:43 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:Sebastian says, he'd love to buy more of this Canadian maple of this high quality ...
I suspect he should. At least one more set!!! :D

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:00 am

:bravo:

Return to “Public Space”