How can I compensate for a broken nail?

Nail care, nail problems, and the use of nails in playing the classical guitar.
CliffP

How can I compensate for a broken nail?

Post by CliffP » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:46 pm

I imagine that this question has been asked previously but I can't find it on this forum.

The nail on my m finger broke back to the nail bed and so is useless for playing but the i and a nails are fine. As one might imagine, this state of affairs has created a very strange condition for attempting to play the guitar. Is there a way to get something like a nail on that finger, such as a finger pick or something like that? There's not enough nail to use the ping pong ball trick so I'm stymied. Any suggestions will be most appreciated, I haven't had a chance to seriously practice in a week or so and need to get back to it.

Thanks,
Cliff

eyedoc

Re: How can I compensate for a broken nail?

Post by eyedoc » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:00 pm

You can see a "nail lady", who can make you an acrylic nail
Ron

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:24 pm

eyedoc wrote:You can see a "nail lady", who can make you an acrylic nail
Ron
+1
Scott

Swin

Post by Swin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:54 pm

James Taylor has a video on YouTube showing you how to do your own fiberglass nails. My own nails are very weak and tear, so I have to do my own. I got all of my supplies at Sally Beauty supply except for the nail glue hardener spray (indispensable!) which I got from Amazon. You can get all of the supplies from Amazon for that matter. You may want to wear a mask to reduce inhaling fumes - especially with the nail hardener.

Good luck!

Jim Davidson

Post by Jim Davidson » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:25 pm

I used to do acrylics, but they're very bad for the nail, and can be messy.

I'd recommend Guitar Player Nails. They sell an all-in-one kit that is very easy to use. You can use small glue strips for a short term fix or the stronger Bond-Tite glue for something that lasts longer. They sound great too.

If you have a little nail left then you can also do it the old fashioned way with a ping pong ball.
2015 Alan Chapman Test Friederich CD/CO
2009 Cervantes Concert Milenia SP/PE

Bill B

Post by Bill B » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:09 am

you can use the artificial "Kiss" nails from the drugstore or wally world, and just file them to shape. they work only for a short time and may damage the surface of the nail underneath, making future breaks more likely. if you need the nail now, it will work, but if you can manage without it thats best.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

Dekselsedek

Post by Dekselsedek » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:46 am

If you have no concerts or lessons that require optimal playing conditions I suggest to get used to braking a nail every now and then. Play scales with i and a. Most of the artificial nails and silk plus glue will weaken the underlying nail. Making the problem repeat itself sooner.

montana

Post by montana » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:05 am

Dekselsedek wrote:If you have no concerts or lessons that require optimal playing conditions I suggest to get used to braking a nail every now and then. Play scales with i and a. Most of the artificial nails and silk plus glue will weaken the underlying nail. Making the problem repeat itself sooner.
+1...lots of other skills to work on. Your nail will be back soon enough . Why keep chasing a bad nail?

Danny Crockett

Post by Danny Crockett » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:11 pm

I have problems with breaking my nails due to manual labor. I keep playing by using RICONAILS. You can buy them online. I like them because they sound great, can be reused multiple times and are easily removed when you finish practicing or performing. A glue dot is used to adhere the RICONAIL to you real nail. Buy the emergency repair kit which has everything you need. You can save money by buying the correct Glue Dot in bulk (600 dots) at [Link to commercial site removed]

Nick Cutroneo

Post by Nick Cutroneo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:05 am

Bill B wrote:you can use the artificial "Kiss" nails from the drugstore or wally world, and just file them to shape. they work only for a short time and may damage the surface of the nail underneath, making future breaks more likely. if you need the nail now, it will work, but if you can manage without it thats best.
I use Kiss nails as my replacement for a broken nail. I use Glue Dot brand glue dots (the "red box" -- which is their strongest strength) instead of the glue that comes in the kit. This allows me to remove the nail (ala a Riconails) in between practices/etc. Plus you don't get nail damage due to glue.
Nick Cutroneo - Classical Guitarist, performer/teacher/suzuki instructor

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:19 am

Ping pong will still work ... You just need to lap the nail a bit further down
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

dtoh

Post by dtoh » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:56 pm

Go to a good manicurist and get a soft gel treatment. They can use a from to extend the nail. Not to be confused with acrylics which should be avoided.

Kenbobpdx

Post by Kenbobpdx » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:07 pm

When I break a nail badly I try to get outside and fish. I have had some doozies at times and have found that pursuing one of my other passions for a while takes my mind off the fact that my guitar playing is temporarily hampered.

I've done the fake nail thing and have found it to be too much of a bother for a one to two week setback. Of course, if I was gigging and had income on the line I would probably keep some ping pong balls around.
"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe."
Abraham Lincoln

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:22 pm

I personally just trim the other nails to match. If too short to use at all, I go fishing, play the electric, or do something else for a few days until there a little bit of nail to work with.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:25 pm

Gel (acrylic too), done by a nail tech in a salon is the easiest way to go. Just ask them to match the shape and length of your other nails.

Stick-on nails are great (rico nails, glue dots) but success relies on your own nail application skill more.
"The greatest strength is gentleness." - Native American proverb

Return to “Use of nails in playing the classical guitar”