Is weight lifting a problem?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Phade

Is weight lifting a problem?

Post by Phade » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:51 pm

A few weeks ago I saw a list posted, something about some things that don't mix well with classical guitar playing, one of the items listed was free weights? why does weight lifting not agree with classical guitar playing?

Uriel Garcia
Student of the online lessons

Re: Is weight lifting a problem?

Post by Uriel Garcia » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:16 pm

I can't imagine that staying physically fit in any form would be counter intuitive to practicing or playing the guitar. Unless you are talking about risking breaking a nail or developing callouses, I don't see how this could stop you from following your hobby..
2010 Kala KA-CGE Concert Uke'
2013 Robert England "Hauser Inspired" /Spruce Top
2014 Fender USA Nitro Strat
2016 Robert England "FE-17" /Spruce Top

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:18 pm

Phade wrote:A few weeks ago I saw a list posted, something about some things that don't mix well with classical guitar playing, one of the items listed was free weights? why does weight lifting not agree with classical guitar playing?
There is no rule like that. It is very individual. Just see if it works for you or not.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:34 pm

Phade wrote:A few weeks ago I saw a list posted, something about some things that don't mix well with classical guitar playing, one of the items listed was free weights? why does weight lifting not agree with classical guitar playing?
You were misled.

Mike Atkinson

Post by Mike Atkinson » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:40 pm

I saw that too.
I thought it was odd.
Fitness allows us to do the daily activities in life which we enjoy. Strength training, which could include free weights, should be part of everyone's fitness activities.
2016 Cordoba Esteso Cedar
Cordoba C5

Phade

Post by Phade » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:45 pm

I'm sure the post was mainly in jest, i was just curious why that was specifically mentioned. Did they drop a plate on their guitar or something? so far the only way weightlifting has affected my guitar playing is I look like I'm holding a ukulele instead of a guitar.

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:56 pm

I'd say it's beneficial wish I'd done it when I was younger, just don't tighten your forearms.

Hotsoup

Post by Hotsoup » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:10 pm

Back in high school, before I quit guitar for a decade and a half, I was deep into weight lifting and also taking classical guitar lessons. The time you're most likely to break a nail is picking plates up off the floor, or sliding consecutive plates on/off a bar. Otherwise, I don't remember it being that bad.

Briant

Post by Briant » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:38 pm

I used to be a racing cyclist, during the winter months we used to go weight training. One evening after the training session we went to the pub to have a game of darts. Normally i have no trouble hitting the dart board (even after a couple of pints).
After weight training we all found it very difficult just to hit the board let alone with any accuracy.
I am sure that weight training just before practicing guitar is not a good idea, wait a few hours first.

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:17 pm

Briant wrote:...I am sure that weight training just before practicing guitar is not a good idea, wait a few hours first.
IME it depends on the specifics... current fitness, how much weight, etc.. For me, ab work was the most beneficial, generally, re guitar playing.

razz

Post by razz » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:41 pm

I have weight lifting and playing the guitar for more than 50 years. I wish that I could blame one activity for a bad showing at the other but no one would believe me.

BellyDoc

Post by BellyDoc » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:00 pm

You could probably find someone who fervently believes in an over-simplified view of muscle physiology based on "fast" vs. "slow" twitch, but it's not really an issue that pertains to this.

On the other hand, for those that really get deeply into their pursuits, starting any new ones while studying guitar could threaten to erode the singleminded determination previously applied to music. I call this "progression of obsession". It's a byproduct of being intense.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

WilliamSchart

Post by WilliamSchart » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:08 pm

I can see, as one who does some of each, that trying to play after a strenuous workout could be less that satisfactory. You are tired and your coordination will suffer. But this would be true in regards to any physical activity, whether it was some sport or perhaps physical labor. Rest up and you should be good to go.

edtheconfessor

Post by edtheconfessor » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:02 am

Having a long standing rotator cuff injury,weight lifting would be beneficial. My left shoulder aches after about an hours playing, often accompanied by numb fingers. Physio helps, but too often I forget to exercise. One activity that perhaps might impact on playing the guitar would be motorcycling or even cycling. The chances of hand injury are considerable. Several well known guitarists have had accidents which affected their careers. Robert Zimmerman and James Taylor (yes, I know neither is a classical guitarist) have broken hands necessitating change in their style / technique. Then there is Django's pyrotechnic experience which altimately led to a distinctive fiery repertoire. Many apologies!

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:30 pm

I regularly do free weights, rest up, then practice CG. The exercise physiology theory is to do the fine motor skills last. It is a mistake to practice guitar THEN do free weights, as all the gross motor training will swamp out the fine. But doen the other way, the fine skills ride on top of the gross motor training.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Return to “Public Space”