Is weight lifting a problem?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
BellyDoc

Re: Is weight lifting a problem?

Post by BellyDoc » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:22 pm

edtheconfessor wrote:Having a long standing rotator cuff injury, ... My left shoulder aches after about an hours playing, often accompanied by numb fingers. ...
I don't usually want to play with online diagnostic games, but as long as you know that there are (obvious) extreme limitations to this, and that all medical conversations online consist of abstract/generalized information, please note that this pattern strikes me as more consistent with cervical disk hernia with nerve root compression rather than a rotator cuff injury.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." -Sir Isaac Newton

Armin Hanika 56PF

Whiteagle

Post by Whiteagle » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:11 am

I don't see it as a problem but if I do weights I am careful about straining my hands. I would look to improve your overall conditioning rather than just focusing on specific muscle groups.

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:38 pm

I am somewhat concerned when doing extremely heavy deadlifts, but that's about it. I once injured my elbow with clean and press, but I just don't do those anymore.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

Douglass Scott
Luthier

Post by Douglass Scott » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:42 pm

Lifting heavier free weights than you're used to uses a lot of grip strength and can strain wrists and forearms and cause tendonitis etc.. That can be avoided by A) incrementing your weights gradually, or B) using those weight lifting hand straps or strength wraps.
General fitness can only be good for you, but any activity can lead to injury if done wrong, the activity itself is probably not the problem.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Wed May 31, 2017 2:45 pm

I have to choose between weights and guitar. If I drop one I can do the other no problem, but if I try to do both (even if I am just doing weights once a week and practising every day) I get trouble with my left shoulder and arm, often down into the hand too. It seems to be the bench press that sets it off. There is probably a magic stretch I should be doing afterwards but if so I haven't found it yet. Annoying...

I would say it can be a problem - it just depends.

StevSmar

Post by StevSmar » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:29 am

Perhaps use only light weights? 12 Fl Oz is probably right, but ice cold...

(I too echo the statement of having a few hours between weight lifting and guitar practise)
Regards,

Steven from Winnipeg

Gwynedd

Post by Gwynedd » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:46 am

I use light free weights; the vinyl coated ones to avoid scratching my hands. But I think I'd go for bowflex or Nautilus rather than free weights; there are so many injuries possible with plates and bars.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:36 pm

I do free weights and cable weights as part of my routine at the gym... not very heavy but enough to occasionally bother my hands. So now I use weightlifters gloves that pad the palm and upper finger joints and wrap around the wrists to steady them. I have unusually flexible joints in my hands, and this helps a lot. Worth a try, they're not very expensive, you can find them on Amazon.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

StevSmar

Post by StevSmar » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:05 am

Gwynedd wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:46 am
I use light free weights; the vinyl coated ones to avoid scratching my hands. But I think I'd go for bowflex or Nautilus rather than free weights; there are so many injuries possible with plates and bars.
True, but then you're not exercising stabilizer muscles very much.
Regards,

Steven from Winnipeg

djwilliams

Post by djwilliams » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:06 am

Hi
I have been doing sports and weight lifting for 25 years now and the only effect I think could be in arms being fatigued due to the workouts and muscle mass accumulated-I.e boxers are encouraged not to have too big arms as in frank brunos case they fatigue and tend to drop down over the bout. Personally I have never had any problems
Cheers
Dave

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:49 pm

Interesting. I had never heard that about boxers, but I suppose it makes some sense.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

jpg

Post by jpg » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:54 pm

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:30 pm
I regularly do free weights, rest up, then practice CG. The exercise physiology theory is to do the fine motor skills last. It is a mistake to practice guitar THEN do free weights, as all the gross motor training will swamp out the fine. But doen the other way, the fine skills ride on top of the gross motor training.
This is very interesting! I usually have gone the other way, thinking that I wouldn't have any 'finesse' after the heavy lifting. I'll have to try the other way around.

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:24 pm

jpg wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:54 pm
Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:30 pm
I regularly do free weights, rest up, then practice CG. The exercise physiology theory is to do the fine motor skills last. It is a mistake to practice guitar THEN do free weights, as all the gross motor training will swamp out the fine. But doen the other way, the fine skills ride on top of the gross motor training.
This is very interesting! I usually have gone the other way, thinking that I wouldn't have any 'finesse' after the heavy lifting. I'll have to try the other way around.
Key phrase = "rest up". It won't work if you put down the weights then immediately pick up the guitar.

Anatomically - we are talking about "motor units" or nerve structures that activate muscle cells. For gross motor, a few motor units activate many muscle cells. For fine motor, there are more motor units and each one controls a small number of cells leading to a finer degree of control. Practicing guitar actually builds up the quantity of motor units. Lifting weights actually builds up more connections between a motor unit and the large number of cells it will control.

Kind of fun to think about, eh?
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Return to “Public Space”