Short article on Leo Brouwer from NPR

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
oski79

Short article on Leo Brouwer from NPR

Post by oski79 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:38 pm

“People may say I can’t sing, but no one can ever say I didn’t sing.” --Florence Foster Jenkins

markworthi

Re: Short article on Leo Brouwer from NPR

Post by markworthi » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:56 pm

Thanks for posting this, Oski.

I am always amazed at the innate impulse towards music that can compel someone to teach himself to read and compose music by studying scores in a shop.

In the article, Leo Brouwer says that he considers the composers of popular boleros in Mexico and Cuba geniuses. Does anyone know whom he's referring to? Are there guitar compositions you can recommend?

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:50 pm

markworthi wrote:Thanks for posting this, Oski.

I am always amazed at the innate impulse towards music that can compel someone to teach himself to read and compose music by studying scores in a shop.

In the article, Leo Brouwer says that he considers the composers of popular boleros in Mexico and Cuba geniuses. Does anyone know whom he's referring to? Are there guitar compositions you can recommend?
From Mexico you have the great Agustin Lara who wrote the famous bolero songs Solamente Una Vez and Granada. From Puerto Rico you have Rafael Hernandez who wrote Lamento Borincano, Preciosa, and El Cumbanchero. There are solo guitar arrangements of these tunes on YouTube and elsewhere. Carlos Barbosa-Lima plays some too but they're very difficult and I'm not sure if they're published or not.

Luuttuaja

Post by Luuttuaja » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:25 pm

Thanks for the link, Oski. Brouwer surely has been "at the service of the world". Great to hear he's still active in composing.

markworthi

Post by markworthi » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:12 pm

Cipher wrote:
markworthi wrote:Thanks for posting this, Oski.

From Mexico you have the great Agustin Lara who wrote the famous bolero songs Solamente Una Vez and Granada. From Puerto Rico you have Rafael Hernandez who wrote Lamento Borincano, Preciosa, and El Cumbanchero. There are solo guitar arrangements of these tunes on YouTube and elsewhere. Carlos Barbosa-Lima plays some too but they're very difficult and I'm not sure if they're published or not.
Excellent-- thanks, Cipher!

StevSmar

Post by StevSmar » Sun May 07, 2017 2:34 am

Most enjoyable, thanks for the heads up!
Regards,

Steven from Winnipeg

Return to “Public Space”