Julian Bream - Live!

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Michael.N.

Re: Julian Bream - Live!

Post by Michael.N. » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:44 am

I saw him around the mid 80's and he suffered a lot in one of the harder pieces (can't remember which one). The very next piece he played El testament d'Amelia, which wasn't on the set list. I assumed it was a piece he played to 'recover' - which he duly did and the rest of the concert was played with authority, including the more difficult pieces. Sign of a seasoned pro.
Historicalguitars.

LukeMarsden

Post by LukeMarsden » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:02 am

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
LukeMarsden wrote:really interesting - you see for me i'd rather have a passionate player that makes mistakes rather than perfect performance.

julian bream is so much more than the music, he seems to be a personality, like segovia, so it so much more than just the notes.
I'm sure most everybody would agree. Ideally both passion and perfection of course! I once attended a recital that was as far as I could tell completely without mistakes, and it was terribly terribly dull. But that was because the player was playing very safe, and had so impressed the venue with his previous recital that he'd been re-booked rather too soon and in seeking new repertoire was doing fairly easy things without engaging with the pieces.
In other words, whether we play with passion and commitment or detachment, with risks and mistakes or lots of planning and few - it all depends.
was JB chatting during the recitals you attended did just "sit down and play"

LukeMarsden

Post by LukeMarsden » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:02 am

LukeMarsden wrote:
Stephen Kenyon wrote:
LukeMarsden wrote:really interesting - you see for me i'd rather have a passionate player that makes mistakes rather than perfect performance.

julian bream is so much more than the music, he seems to be a personality, like segovia, so it so much more than just the notes.
I'm sure most everybody would agree. Ideally both passion and perfection of course! I once attended a recital that was as far as I could tell completely without mistakes, and it was terribly terribly dull. But that was because the player was playing very safe, and had so impressed the venue with his previous recital that he'd been re-booked rather too soon and in seeking new repertoire was doing fairly easy things without engaging with the pieces.
In other words, whether we play with passion and commitment or detachment, with risks and mistakes or lots of planning and few - it all depends.
was JB chatty during the recitals you attended did he just "sit down and play"?

Allister Slingenberg

Post by Allister Slingenberg » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:18 pm

Sir Julian.
I liked the opera very much. Everything but the music.
-Benjamin Britten-

LukeMarsden

Post by LukeMarsden » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:26 pm

your right ... Sir Julian

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:13 pm

LukeMarsden wrote: was JB chatting during the recitals you attended did just "sit down and play"
I think he probably introduced one or two of the pieces, but equally sometimes was silent in between.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

cedartop

Post by cedartop » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:55 pm

I was only able to see/hear him in concert once. It was really great. For both Bream and Williams, while I already admired their recordings greatly, in person they were even better. Some of the extremes in color on Bream's recordings (as I perceived them) made perfect sense in the context of a live performance in a hall. Likewise, Williams came across as warmer in person than he did on recordings. Obviously this is just how it seemed to me.
2011 Traphagen Cedar Doubletop
2017 Traphagen Spruce Doubletop

Digory Piper

Post by Digory Piper » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:04 pm

I took every opportunity to see Bream live between 1969-1973 - 7 times in all - and Williams 8 times in the same period (one of those occasions was them playing together - Fairfield Halls, Croydon, 12 April 1973) - after that work took me away and I didn't see them again.

Bream I saw in solo recital just three times - on the first occasion in Oxford Town Hall in 1969 - and one of those was an all-Dowland recital on the lute. One programme included the first performance of the Walton Bagatelles (21 January 1972). The rest: the premiere of the Richard Rodney Bennett concerto with the Melos Ensemble; a recital of lute and guitar songs with Peter Pears; a performance of the Malcolm Arnold concerto conducted by the composer - and the "Together" programme with JW. His tense facial expressions could convey tension to the audience, but his performances were never less than enthralling, deeply musical and engaging. He sometimes talked to the audience - I particularly remember the Dowland recital which coincided with the publication of the Diana Poulton-Basil Lam edition - I was sitting in the middle of the front row, just feet away. Imperfections certainly but they never mattered.

Williams in contrast I saw mostly in recital - twice in Oxford, in Eastbourne, Exeter University and the Royal Festival Hall - on that occasion an alarm watch carried by an audience member sitting on the stage went off right next to him during Bach 1006, he didn't miss a beat. That concert was recorded and I heard it again on BBC Radio 3, complete with alarm watch. But, frankly, his recitals were always much of a muchness - technically immaculate but (to me) singularly uninvolving. I also heard him play a couple of Vivaldi concertos in an LSO concert, and in another the Concierto de Aranjuez with the LSO and Previn. The highlight of that concert turned out to be the Grieg piano concerto in the second half, played by the late great John Ogdon. Williams came and sat near us in the second half, next to Mia Farrow.

Brynmor

Post by Brynmor » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:11 am

...at a concert at Claydon House in Buckinghamshire, when his playing was distinctly lacklustre.
I was at that concert, sitting on the front row, and I agree that it was a rather lacklustre performance. I got the impression that he didn't really want to be there but I don't recall him making a lot of mistakes. I did notice that he arrived at the venue, by car, while we were waiting to go in so it may be that he had very little time to settle. I saw him on another occasion, at The Swan Theatre in Stratford-on-Avon, when he had a very bad cold and made so many mistakes that I don't think any piece was played flawlessly. Another time I saw him at a Music at Leisure weekend, at the Swan Hotel in Lavenham, and his playing was sublime throughout. I have seen him on several other occasions over the years but do not recall being disappointed at his performance generally.

Kevin Cowen

Post by Kevin Cowen » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:59 pm

LukeMarsden wrote:
Kevin Cowen wrote:He's "live" every time I hear him.
And every time I hear him he's flawless.
im afraid not, his records are edited within an inch of their life - you can hear to edits clicks all over - but i still love it.
Hi Luke.
I've never heard a Julian Bream recording that was edited within an inch of its life with edits and clicks all over the place.
Could you provide a link?
Thank you.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:36 pm

Kevin Cowen wrote:...
I've never heard a Julian Bream recording that was edited within an inch of its life with edits and clicks all over the place.
All the later Bream recordings are certainly heavily edited; its a matter of public record, and clear statement by Bream himself, though I'm afraid I can't myself direct you to a quotation. Whether those edits are audible or not may depend on various factors. I've never been bothered by any mis-matches or artifacts in the audio. I would imagine the pre-digital records are more likely to be prone to any such.
Louis Panormo (1838)

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:01 pm

Kevin Cowen wrote:
LukeMarsden wrote:
Kevin Cowen wrote:He's "live" every time I hear him.
And every time I hear him he's flawless.
im afraid not, his records are edited within an inch of their life - you can hear to edits clicks all over - but i still love it.
Hi Luke.
Thank you.
Listen to his Villa-Lobos etudes on CD with your headphones on.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Kevin Cowen

Post by Kevin Cowen » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:45 pm

I've just listened to to four etudes.
Make that five since I started typing.
And I'm still not getting the point of this thread.
They all sound flawless to me.
We're reaching the point where the next thread on Julian Bream will be his obituary.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:38 pm

Kevin Cowen wrote:I've just listened to to four etudes.
Make that five since I started typing.
And I'm still not getting the point of this thread.
They all sound flawless to me.
We're reaching the point where the next thread on Julian Bream will be his obituary.
I do not have the CD to hand, and it is wonderful in its tonal variety and musicianship, but I seem to remember that the second etude (which I personally think is just about the most difficult of them all) has the most edits. I do not hear clicks, as has been suggested, but instead, slight differences in tone and recording quality between each set of repeated patterns, as though they have been edited.

Non-musicians and non guitarists would probably not notice, and it does not detract from the overall musical effect, but it does suggest quite a high degree of editing to my ears.
D'Ammassa Spruce/Spruce Double Top

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:11 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:...
Non-musicians and non guitarists would probably not notice, and it does not detract from the overall musical effect, but it does suggest quite a high degree of editing to my ears.
The recording engineer and guitarist John Taylor said he could hear edits in between split bass and treble notes. It wasn't in the kind of situation where jokes are made.
The point is that a wonderful musical result was achieved, and that those of us who like and want to know the real story of these things, can and should understand this kind of fact.
I doubt many people aside from studio engineers would ever notice, not least because the extreme honesty of studio monitors and/or headphones might be needed.
Louis Panormo (1838)

Return to “Public Space”