Julian Bream - Live!

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Tom Poore

Re: Julian Bream - Live!

Postby Tom Poore » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:39 pm

cliffbryant wrote:I saw Bream play with Williams in Oct. 1978 at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC. They sounded marvelous!

Hey, I was there too. When the double LP of that concert came out, I recall being miffed that RCA left out the modern piece. (Can’t recall the composer.) I guess record executives were afraid of scaring the record buyers.

I heard Bream solo at the Kennedy center at least once. It was when he was doing his “half lute/half guitar” programming. Also heard him at Lisner Auditorium. Not the best venue for guitar—they had to turn off the air conditioning because it was drowning out the music.

It’s no secret that Bream’s recordings were edited. Never bothered me, though. In a live setting, I’ll live with the mistakes. But in a recording, I’d rather hear an artist’s idealized performance.

By the way, I agree that Bream deserves a knighthood. To me, he’ll always be “Sir Julian,” even though I’m a Yank.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

LukeMarsden

Postby LukeMarsden » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:18 am

Kevin Cowen wrote:I've just listened to to four etudes.
Make that five since I started typing.
And I'm still not getting the point of this thread.
They all sound flawless to me.
We're reaching the point where the next thread on Julian Bream will be his obituary.

kevin, listen the run chromatic run on his recording and when he comes back onto the A you can hear the edit at 3:08

can you hear how the edit it slightly early and "jumps" in????

https://youtu.be/t3d4qKJZGkQ?t=3m7s

chelson

Postby chelson » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:59 pm

Haha, in my very own personal thought, I could only relate this thread to a Chinese proverbs - trying to "pick bone from an egg".
Without heart and desire, talent is nothing.

dory

Postby dory » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:01 pm

This is not live, itis not pyrotechnics and it involves no technical brilliance, but I have seen Bream play Sor studies on youtube, looking quite old, sitting in a garden wearing a big floppy hat. It doesn't take any great technical skill to play the Sor studies, but I hope it is not offensive to say he sounds "sweet." In a good way. It seemed perfect to me-- an older guy playing a piece that doesn't require a lot of technical skill but with a lit of musicality. I wish I had seen him perform live. By the time I got serious about the guitar it was too late.
Dory

Gary Macleod

Postby Gary Macleod » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:42 pm

Here's an excellent example of Bream on top form, very clean playing. I always felt with Bream he might prepare or practice more when he knew it was going to be recorded , the Sor fantasy is him at his very best

https://youtu.be/ybzJRRG0Jxo

AndreiKrylov

Postby AndreiKrylov » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:56 am

You all were very lucky to hear JB and others in 1970s...
But not many of them visited USSR then... therefore I missed most of them.. records which were published then were mostly by Segovia and Russian (Soviet ) guitarists.
As far as studio recording - yes most of it done by gluing the tape... standard practice then... engineer would cut "bad" note or passage or part and replace with good one... the unpleasant thing for me then was that engineers were so "important" many of them pretended to know music more than players... it is very distracted way of recording... but some did great job.
I'd better speak by music...Please listen Andrei Krylov at Spotify, iTunes, Apple Music, Amazon Prime etc. Thanks!

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:34 am

Tom Poore wrote:
cliffbryant wrote:I saw Bream play with Williams in Oct. 1978 at the Kennedy Center in Washington, DC. They sounded marvelous!

Hey, I was there too. When the double LP of that concert came out, I recall being miffed that RCA left out the modern piece. (Can’t recall the composer.) I guess record executives were afraid of scaring the record buyers.

That is most extremely interesting - ! - not because of the scared executives, but because something modern existed in their repertoire all at. One had always felt it strange they did nothing, on the evidence of the LP programmes. I wonder if it would be possible to track down by whom and what the piece was?
Last edited by Stephen Kenyon on Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

MartenFalk

Postby MartenFalk » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:19 am

Stephen Kenyon wrote:
Tom Poore wrote:

That is most extremely interesting - ! - not because of the scare executives, but because something modern existed in their repertoire all at. One had always felt it strkange they did nothing, on the evidence of the LP programmes. I wonder if it would be possible to track down by whom and what the piece was?

I know that they played "Three sketches for two guitars" by Reginald Smith-Brindle. That could have been the piece.

cliffbryant

Postby cliffbryant » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:20 pm

Tom Poore wrote:

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

Here is the program from that evening:

Johnson Pavan and Gailliard

Telemann Partie Polonaise

Weiss Tombeau sur la mort de M. Comte de Logy (Williams solo)

Pagannini Caprice Nr. 24 (Williams solo)

Sor Fantasie for Two Guitars

Brahms Theme and Variations, Op. 18

Faure Dolly, Op. 56

Villa-Lobos Four Studies (Bream solo)

Smith Brindle Three Sketches for Two Guitars

Debussy Reverie, Golliwog's Cake-Walk, Claire de Lune

cliffbryant

Postby cliffbryant » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:26 pm

Somehow I managed to hang on to the program from that Oct. 1978 duo performance. When backstage afterwards and got both of them to sign it too!

StevSmar

Postby StevSmar » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:43 pm

I saw Julian Bream at the Sydney Town Hall in 1986.

Unfortunately I don't remember how well he played, but I do remember being MESMERISED!!!

The stage was set off to the left side of the hall and to my delight I was sitting maybe 8' away from him in the front row!

Being short of money I allowed myself a purchase of the programme and his music of Spain CD volume 7, which is still one of my least favourite albums... But I still enjoy having the programme!

IMG_1491.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

Steven from Winnipeg

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Postby Stephen Kenyon » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:55 pm

cliffbryant wrote:....
Here is the program from that evening:

Smith Brindle Three Sketches for Two Guitars

That is terrific, thanks so much for the confirmation!

It hasn't done the piece many favours apparently, as there seem to be no videos of it on the usual place...despite an impressive number of RSB pieces (inc by Rob Mac!)
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

MurrayK

Postby MurrayK » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:58 am

Very enjoyable reading.

Thank you all for sharing. Wish I had been at some of these performances.
Regards
Murray

Tom Poore

Postby Tom Poore » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:18 am

Tom Poore wrote:When the double LP of that concert came out, I recall being miffed that RCA left out the modern piece. (Can’t recall the composer.)

MartenFalk wrote:I know that they played "Three sketches for two guitars" by Reginald Smith-Brindle. That could have been the piece.

cliffbryant wrote:Here is the program from that evening: Smith Brindle Three Sketches for Two Guitars

Thanks to both of you. (I knew it was an English composer.) By the way, the piece seemed well received by the audience. No one rioted, à la “Le Sacre du printemps.” But putting the full program on a double LP release might have timed out excessively. On CD it clocks in at 75:52. That’s very close to a typical CD limit.

Those who attended the New York and Boston performances got a chance to have their coughing immortalized on a widely released LP, as both these concerts were recorded for the “Julian Bream and John Williams Live” 1979 double LP. The Washington D.C. concert wasn’t recorded. Speaking of edits, some of the individual movements on this release spliced together takes from both cities. So when you listen to this recording, at certain parts you’re hearing adjacent passages played at two different times in two different cities. Oy, that’ll enrage the purists.

Tom Poore
South Euclid, OH
USA

woodenhand

Postby woodenhand » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:41 am

I saw him twice in the 70s. He was positively amazing both times. Technically excellent and of high musical quality. When Bream was hot, his playing was incredibly exciting. I think some of Bream's missed notes were due to his taking chances with the music, i.e., trying something different on the spur of the moment. That's what real artists do, and, unavoidably, there are hits and misses.

A couple of weeks ago I had a session with my guitar teacher, and the subject of Bream came up (the sessions are two hours long, so we take occasional breaks and talk). He opined that Bream was one of the best CGers ever in terms of musicality. I agree.

Return to “Public Space”