Koshkin 24 Preludes & Fugues Now Available

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Cipher

Koshkin 24 Preludes & Fugues Now Available

Post by Cipher » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:27 pm

The 24 Preludes & Fugues by Nikita Koshkin are now published and available for purchase from Edition Margaux.de in two volumes at about 26 euros each. I'm sure a good number of you have seen the beautiful video performances of some of these fascinating pieces by guitarist Asya Selyutina on YouTube over the last 7 years. So it's nice to know they're finally available for purchase. As far as how the Edition looks- from the few samples on the Edition Margaux website it seems that there are absolutely zero fingerings on these scores which is fine with me but may be a drawback for others. I'm debating whether to buy these because the shipping to the USA is more than 36 euros so it would be nearly $100 to have both volumes shipped. Maybe one of the USA sheet music sellers will get some copies in soon which may cut down on the shipping or maybe not. I guess if you're intrigued by these pieces you'll save up for them no matter what lol. Anyway just thought I'd give everybody a heads up. Let us know if you do order these and what you think of them.

On a side note I think there was a discussion on one the YT vids of a new recording by Asya Selyutina of the first 12 of these Preludes & Fugues to go along with publication but I haven't seen/heard anything about that yet. If you have please let us know.

tubeman

Re: Koshkin 24 Preludes & Fugues Now Available

Post by tubeman » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:16 pm

Great news, but ouch! That shipping is brutal. Yes, let's hope a US distributor gets them soon.
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br (for sale)

Jeremiah Lawson

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:46 am

I'm going to have to save up for them either way. Having some US-side distributor would be nice and I hope that can happen as soon as possible.

I've been waiting for these scores to get published for years! :) Studying Koshkin's music helped convinced me that fully polyphonic music for solo guitar was practical so it's exciting that his cycle is finally published.

I, too, hope there's a recording of these out as soon as can be suitably managed.

Jeremiah Lawson

Post by Jeremiah Lawson » Sun May 14, 2017 4:39 pm

Got both volumes this weekend.

Kjetil Heggelund

Post by Kjetil Heggelund » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:27 pm

I decided to use a different distributor than the publisher because of the shipping costs. I paid 8 euro on the shipping :-)
Kevin Aram "Torres", 2009
Stephan Schlemper "Transparence", 2015
Whatever you can do to have a good time, let's get on with it so long as it doesn't cause a murder...FZ

tnn

Post by tnn » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:01 am

tubeman wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:16 pm
Great news, but ouch! That shipping is brutal. Yes, let's hope a US distributor gets them soon.
These volumes are available at Strings by Mail now.

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:52 pm

tnn wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:01 am
tubeman wrote:
Oooh...excellent news--thank you!
Edit: I just ordered them. Alas, volume one is backordered.

William Gregg

Post by William Gregg » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:09 am

I am really happy about this news! I think Koshkin is composing some of the best new music for classical guitar in the last 50 years. I use his little studies for young students, and they love learning and playing them.

Ray

Post by Ray » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:32 am

tnn wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:01 am
tubeman wrote:
I ordered them a few weeks ago after I saw cipher's post. It was $76 from Germany with the shipping which turned out to be international DHL who then turned it over to a local USPS delivery. Took less than a week. Strings by Mail is charging $34.99 a volume so it's basically the same price shipped from the US.
Last edited by Ray on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ray

Post by Ray » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:47 am

Duplicate please delete thank you!

Last edited by Ray on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ray

Post by Ray » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:49 am

William Gregg wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:09 am
I am really happy about this news! I think Koshkin is composing some of the best new music for classical guitar in the last 50 years. I use his little studies for young students, and they love learning and playing them.
If only these Preludes and Fugues were that easy! I was seduced by the hypnotic and mesmerizing videos of that stunningly beautiful brunette guitarist playing them on YouTube who plays them so effortlessly but I haven't been able to make the few that I've read through sound as good. The fugues especially are exceptionally difficult and there are very little to no fingerings at all to guide one as to what Koshkin would like them to sound like. I say this because he's a guitarist himself so I kind of expected more direction but that's okay, it's probably better for me to do the work and come up with my own and now I have clean slate scores to do that with. Those videos on YouTube have a nice reverb so that's probably the key to making the Preludes sound good otherwise the block chords and straight rhythms of some of them sound very dry.

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:17 pm

Ray wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:49 am
William Gregg wrote:
If only these Preludes and Fugues were that easy! I was seduced by the hypnotic and mesmerizing videos of that stunningly beautiful brunette guitarist playing them on YouTube who plays them so effortlessly but I haven't been able to make the few that I've read through sound as good.
She is Koshkin's wife!!!

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:22 pm

tubeman wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:17 pm
Ray wrote:
William Gregg wrote:
If only these Preludes and Fugues were that easy! I was seduced by the hypnotic and mesmerizing videos of that stunningly beautiful brunette guitarist playing them on YouTube who plays them so effortlessly but I haven't been able to make the few that I've read through sound as good.
She is Koshkin's wife!!!
She was - according to a recent Facebook post of his they've apparently divorced :(

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:49 pm

Cipher wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:22 pm
tubeman wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:17 pm
Ray wrote:

She is Koshkin's wife!!!
She was - according to a recent Facebook post of his they've apparently divorced :(
They did strike me as something of an "Odd Couple"! Regardless of their marital status, I hope he goes through with her plan to record his Preludes and Fugues. I'd like to listen to all of them first in order to choose which ones to play.

Return to “Public Space”