Beethoven on guitar?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Tom Phillips

Beethoven on guitar?

Post by Tom Phillips » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:28 am

Hey guys,

What is the most famous / best arrangement of a piece by Beethoven for solo guitar?

Thanks

powderedtoastman

Re: Beethoven on guitar?

Post by powderedtoastman » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:06 am

I would maybe say Tarrega's arrangement of the Pathetique Sonata.
There's probably no shortage of different arrangements of Ode to Joy, but probably mostly at a student level.

redge

Post by redge » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:35 am

There are also good arrangements out there of the first movement from the moonlight sonata

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:32 pm

powderedtoastman wrote:I would maybe say Tarrega's arrangement of the Pathetique Sonata.
This is not a bad version!!! :casque: I absolutely love this performance. :) Matthew is a member here too.

Youtube
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Theodore Roosevelt

powderedtoastman

Post by powderedtoastman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:11 pm

lucy wrote:
powderedtoastman wrote:I would maybe say Tarrega's arrangement of the Pathetique Sonata.
This is not a bad version!!! :casque: I absolutely love this performance. :) Matthew is a member here too.

Youtube
Thanks for posting!
Heike Matthiesen posted her playing of it which is how I learned of this arrangement. I like what I've heard from Heike quite a bit, but I think I like this one just slightly better.

A composer who is a member of this forum also posted an arrangement of some Beethoven's 5th Symphony for guitar I believe.. maybe about a year ago, I could see if I can dig that up!

Peter Lovett

Post by Peter Lovett » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:20 am

Most of the transcriptions I have heard of Beethoven for the guitar sound terrible. The one played by Matthew is one of the better ones but they are few and far between. I wonder if it's because he was such a superb pianist that his music fits that instrument like a glove that it doesn't translate well to another instrument.
1994 Jim Williams lattice braced, Cedar/Tasmanian Blackwood

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:14 am

lucy wrote:

Youtube
Thanks for sharing the video. I really liked it. I didn't realize where I heard this melody before, it was in the 70's. Kiss ripped off Beethoven on their song Great Expectations! Probably didn't remember them, unless you're old like me :D

lucy

Post by lucy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:54 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote: Thanks for sharing the video. I really liked it. I didn't realize where I heard this melody before, it was in the 70's. Kiss ripped off Beethoven on their song Great Expectations! Probably didn't remember them, unless you're old like me :D
Well, I have heard of Kiss, but I don't know any of their music! It's amazing how many pop songs have drawn upon classical music. :)

I don't want to derail this thread, but there's an interesting Wikipedia article listing them. My favourite is All By Myself, based on the slow movement of Rachmaninov's 2nd piano concerto. But, this article doesn't appear to include pop songs that feature classical melodies less prominently, like your Kiss example. However, it also omits A Whiter Shade of Pale where the organ part was based on Bach's Ich steh mit einem Fuß im Grabe (BWV 156), (I would say far more than Air on G string or Sleepers, Wake), so that's very prominent. I suppose it lists where the vocal line has been stolen only. Not sure, because I don't know enough of those songs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... ical_works

Mr Kite

Post by Mr Kite » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:16 pm

lucy wrote:
Laudiesdad69 wrote: Thanks for sharing the video. I really liked it. I didn't realize where I heard this melody before, it was in the 70's. Kiss ripped off Beethoven on their song Great Expectations! Probably didn't remember them, unless you're old like me :D
Well, I have heard of Kiss, but I don't know any of their music! It's amazing how many pop songs have drawn upon classical music. :)
Billy Joel also used it in This Night, although I'm not sure I should admit to knowing that.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:00 pm

lucy wrote:
Laudiesdad69 wrote: :D

I don't want to derail this thread, but there's an interesting Wikipedia article listing them. My favourite is All By Myself, based on the slow movement of Rachmaninov's 2nd piano concerto. But, this article doesn't appear to include pop songs that feature classical melodies less prominently, like your Kiss example. However, it also omits A Whiter Shade of Pale where the organ part was based on Bach's Ich steh mit einem Fuß im Grabe (BWV 156), (I would say far more than Air on G string or Sleepers, Wake), so that's very prominent. I suppose it lists where the vocal line has been stolen only. Not sure, because I don't know enough of those songs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... ical_works
I looked at the list and was surprised to find Queen on there(It's a Hard Life). I'm a huge Queen fan, but never knew this. Lucy I hope to know half of what you know about Classical music.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:01 pm

Mr Kite wrote:
lucy wrote:
Billy Joel also used it in This Night, although I'm not sure I should admit to knowing that.
Just looked that up too. You can't beat a good tune! :lol:

lucy

Post by lucy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:18 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:I looked at the list and was surprised to find Queen on there(It's a Hard Life). I'm a huge Queen fan, but never knew this. Lucy I hope to know half of what you know about Classical music.
I don't really know that much! But, it's like everything, the more you know, the more you realise what you don't know.

By the way, I know very little about philosophy, but I love Socrates' saying: "I know one thing; that I know nothing". That's quite amazing coming from the wisest man in Greece! Perhaps, a lot of people would benefit from being more humble. :wink:

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:25 pm

Tom Phillips wrote:Hey guys,

What is the most famous / best arrangement of a piece by Beethoven for solo guitar?

Thanks
I vote for Ode to Joy

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:18 pm

Peter Lovett wrote:Most of the transcriptions I have heard of Beethoven for the guitar sound terrible. The one played by Matthew is one of the better ones but they are few and far between. I wonder if it's because he was such a superb pianist that his music fits that instrument like a glove that it doesn't translate well to another instrument.
+1. While Mozart and Haydn might work reasonably well on the guitar, most Beethoven doesn't. He uses a wider range of the keyboard, usually denser textures, and often more dramatic gestures, all of which pale to the originals when squeezed onto the guitar fingerboard. I recall ordering a transcription of one of the "late" Piano Sonatas (Op. 101 or 110 as I recall) a long time ago, but my check was returned with a statement that the score was not available. Now that I know the pieces better, I shudder to think how 1) hard it would have been to play and 2) how horrible it would would have sounded!
Greg Byers 2016 cedar/Ind (for sale)
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br (for sale)

Sandaun

Post by Sandaun » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:38 am

I have to confess, when I first saw this thread I misread it as "Beethoven air guitar" and thought, well, whatever ... then I looked again, and Beethoven ON guitar ... now that makes better sense.

Perhaps it would be better done as a guitar duet? A guitar trio? Guitar quartet? I've got a copy of "L Van Beethoven Sonatas Piano Solo edited by Franz Liszt Newly revised by H B 1916" and it does look its age. A guitar trio with a contrabass guitar and an alto guitar? I think it is achievable.
"I have supposed that he who buys a Method means to learn it." - Ferdinand Sor, Method for Guitar

Return to “Public Space”