Only Three Giants of the Classical Guitar?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
astro64

Re: Only Three Giants of the Classical Guitar?

Post by astro64 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:22 pm

Just to keep things in perspective, I don't think the situation is any different for other classical instruments. There are more performers for e.g. piano or violin, so audiences are likely bigger than for classical guitar for more of them, but I doubt anyone of the general public could name three top performers for each of these instruments.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:43 pm

Perhaps not but I think you'll find that Lang Lang and Perlman are much better known than any classical guitarist.
Historicalguitars.

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:22 pm

I've seen Galbraith at least 4 times, and every time he played beautifully and accurately. That one performance was definitely a one-off.
Greg Byers 2016 cedar/Ind
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:16 am

Dear fans of Paul Galbraith: I did not mean to insult a great musician. I like his Bach recordings very much and was eager to listen to him life. The more I was disappointed by his Brussels performance and I am not sure that this was a one-off failure. Technically he had some flaws but in general played very well. It was the Brahms guitar which just did not fit for the Bach repertoire he had chosen. The whole bass range was sounding dull, as if the guitar had a bunch of dead notes. Be assured that the negative reaction was unanimous. In a recording session, there might be technical flexibility enough to do some corrections, but not on stage. As a conclusion of this event I would say that this "cello guitar" might please some addicts but is definitely not the way to the hall of fame for our instrument.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

Pierre Tremblay
Composer

Post by Pierre Tremblay » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:09 pm

What about Alexandre Lagoya? He certainly had his place among those great players!
Guitars: Patrick Mailloux double-top (spruce on top, cedar)

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:07 pm

Pierre Tremblay wrote:What about Alexandre Lagoya? He certainly had his place among those great players!
And Ida Presti?
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

mrvegas

Post by mrvegas » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:32 am

I don't usually post so much on the threads about guitarists, because, other than what I have learned in the last few years, I probably would have been one of those that could only name the three guitarists mentioned above, despite being a classical music lover.

Someone else mentioned him, but Yamashita's recordings are stunning. His version of the New World Symphony is spectacular. Some of the criticism that he doesn't play with the same "feel" as some of the other greats strikes me as nothing less than jealousy. He coordinates technique into his arrangements that makes you forget you're even listening to a guitar.
Life is too short to be perfectly in tune.

hoppy

Post by hoppy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:55 am

If Brouwer hadn't injured his hand I'd think he would be a strong contender - however his composition output alone keeps him in the picture in terms of historical significance and contribution to classical guitar. People will still be playing his studies and pieces in 50 years.

Balance

Post by Balance » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:24 pm

Yepes should really be amongst them, his 10 string makes it refreshing to hear songs that for all intents and purposes, sound the same by every other 6 string guitarist.

goldenoldie

Post by goldenoldie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:55 pm

If you're more in the "mainstream" you tend to hear things differently.
My teenage son plays harpsichord, and is deep into Bach (WTC, suites, toccatas) and the seventeenth century French school (unmeasured preludes and suites); he also dabbles on the piano (Mozart and especially Debussy).
I watch many youtube videos of many guitarists playing a wide range of music. He is critical and often cannot stand guitarists... except for Williams and Segovia. Bream is hit and miss.
Talking to him, he likes Williams because of his clear, consistent tone and pulse, and subtle expressiveness (vibrato, slides). As for Segovia, "He's VERY musical."

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:38 pm

It appears that the nomination phase has ended. Below are the 35 nominees in alphabetical order. I'll give everyone a couple of days to correct or add to the list (I accepted the spellings of those who made the nominations), then I'll start a new thread for the voting. With so many nominees we may need more than one round of voting. One of the selections, of course, will be "none" for those who think none of the nominees deserves to be in the company of Segovia, Bream, and Williams.

Odair Assad
Sérgio Assad
Manuel Barrueco
Leona Boyd
Leo Brouwer
Jorge Caballero
Costas Cotsiolis
Anniello Desiderio
Alirio Diaz
Zoran Dukic
Roland Dyens
Marcin Dylla
Eliot Fisk
Paul Galbraith
Zoran Goric
Stefano Grondona
Tillman Hoppstock
Sharon Isbin
Miloš Karadaglić 
Alexandre Lagoya
Paco de Lucia
Matthew McAllister
Christopher Parkening
Ida Presti
Angel Romero
Pepe Romero
David Russell
Pavl Steidl
Francisco Tarrega
Rey de la Torre
Benanmin Verdery
Kazuhiro Yamashita
Narciso Yepes
Ana Vidovic
Jason Vieux

Edit: Eliot Fisk added
Edit: McAllister and Brouwer added; Jason Caballero changed to Jorge Caballero
Last edited by gitgeezer on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tubeman

Post by tubeman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:34 pm

At the risk of creating a firestorm, I somehow forgot to mention Eliot Fisk. Love him or hate him, he's done a lot for the instrument by commissioning major composers to write pieces for our instrument, transcribing many wonderful pieces, performing dozens if not hundreds of outreach concerts and programs, all of which helps to make him an ambassador for the instrument.

Please, various members' venomous attacks on him are well documented on this site, so there's no need to add some more here. If you don't like him, then don't vote for him. Got it?
Greg Byers 2016 cedar/Ind
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:48 pm

Eliot Fisk added to the list.

Erik Zurcher

Post by Erik Zurcher » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:16 pm

First of all I only judge guitarists by seeing them live, not by recordings. I have heard many excellent classical guitarists in concert: Irina Kulikova, Pavel Steidl, Amanda Cook, Alvaro Pierri, Marcin Dylla, Rene Izquerdo, Allan Neave, Enno Voorhorst, Zoran Dukic, Roland Dyens, Ana Vidovic, Johannes Mõller. I enjoyed them all, but Matthew McAllister moved me the most.
Reedition Domingo Esteso by Conde Hermanos 2004; Kenny Hill, model Barcelona 2001
"While you try to master classical guitar, prepare for a slave's life: the guitar will forever be your master and you its slave".

gitgeezer

Post by gitgeezer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:05 am

Erik Zurcher wrote:First of all I only judge guitarists by seeing them live, not by recordings. I have heard many excellent classical guitarists in concert: Irina Kulikova, Pavel Steidl, Amanda Cook, Alvaro Pierri, Marcin Dylla, Rene Izquerdo, Allan Neave, Enno Voorhorst, Zoran Dukic, Roland Dyens, Ana Vidovic, Johannes Mõller. I enjoyed them all, but Matthew McAllister moved me the most.
Do you want to add Matthew McAllister to the list?

Return to “Public Space”