Learning the fretboard

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Kevin Cowen
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:03 pm

Re: Learning the fretboard

Post by Kevin Cowen » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:16 pm

If you're not having lessons you need to diligently study a good tutor book.
It can be a slow process and I'm slightly concerned that you're worrying about the upper register after only a year.

User avatar
bacsidoan
Posts: 2364
Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 1:59 am

Re: Learning the fretboard

Post by bacsidoan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:35 pm

Fretboard Harmony (Common Practice Harmony On The Guitar)

by Jeffrey McFadden

Nothing new or earth shattering! However, the book does provide a systematic approach to learning the fretboard from elementary scale forms to interval shapes and common chord patterns. It also presents chord progressions and simple modulations. IMHO, It is a little too pricey for the amount of knowledge offered.

dory
Posts: 1787
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:29 am
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA

Re: Learning the fretboard

Post by dory » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:49 pm

I am curious now. Everyone seems to be talking about methods like visualization and memorization to learn the upper parts of the fingerboard-- methods that are pretty divorced from actual playing.i take it on faith that this site is full of guitar teachers and other people who are more knowledgeable than me, so I wanted to ask. Why would someone learn the upper parts of the fingerboard differently than one would learn first and second position? Speed? Would you recommend learning first position the same way? For me nothing worked except for playing in the position(s) although I admit that the process was not super fast for me. I am curious now. I quit using Sagreras before I got to that part of the fingeboard, so I would like to know what he says. I am someone who tends to value abstract thought over muscle memory, yet for this task nothing but muscle memory worked for me, although I admit that I went through a fairly lengthy period of having to consciously think about where notes were. The question has begun to intrigue me. (Of course I am almost as "bad" as Glassy about posing weird or difficult question.) If you are reading this, Glassy I do love love your questions.
Dory

User avatar
SunnyDee
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Cancun, Mexico

Re: Learning the fretboard

Post by SunnyDee » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:56 pm

Kevin Cowen wrote:If you're not having lessons you need to diligently study a good tutor book.
It can be a slow process and I'm slightly concerned that you're worrying about the upper register after only a year.
Hi, Kevin, I'm new here. I'm curious about this comment and I've only been playing a year. Is it unusual to learn the fretboard early on?
"Militantly left-handed."

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

First guitar was a vintage Russian 7-string classical.

Kevin Cowen
Posts: 119
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:03 pm

Re: Learning the fretboard

Post by Kevin Cowen » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:04 pm

SunnyDee wrote:
Kevin Cowen wrote:If you're not having lessons you need to diligently study a good tutor book.
It can be a slow process and I'm slightly concerned that you're worrying about the upper register after only a year.
Hi, Kevin, I'm new here. I'm curious about this comment and I've only been playing a year. Is it unusual to learn the fretboard early on?
Hi Sunny.
Learning the fretboard is of course vital.
But learning to read above the fifth fret will take most of us more than the twelve months the original poster mentions.
All the best.

User avatar
SunnyDee
Posts: 88
Joined: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Cancun, Mexico

Re: Learning the fretboard

Post by SunnyDee » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:50 pm

Kevin Cowen wrote:
SunnyDee wrote:
Kevin Cowen wrote:If you're not having lessons you need to diligently study a good tutor book.
It can be a slow process and I'm slightly concerned that you're worrying about the upper register after only a year.
Hi, Kevin, I'm new here. I'm curious about this comment and I've only been playing a year. Is it unusual to learn the fretboard early on?
Hi Sunny.
Learning the fretboard is of course vital.
But learning to read above the fifth fret will take most of us more than the twelve months the original poster mentions.
All the best.
Oh, ok. I'm just up to a year now and just now learning it on purpose, as opposed to just the ones I already got from playing. I'm just learning 1-12, I never play up past that anyway and it just repeats. I figure that's good enough. But I don't play classical (please let me hang out with you guys anyway!). I imagine it's much more difficult to attach learning the fretboard geography to also reading a score.
"Militantly left-handed."

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

First guitar was a vintage Russian 7-string classical.

Return to “Public Space”