StaffPad on Surface Studio computer

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
larryguitar

StaffPad on Surface Studio computer

Post by larryguitar » Fri May 05, 2017 6:51 pm

I've been using StaffPad on a Surface Pro 4 tablet to write up all the parts for guitar quartet when we get together once in a while to play together. I'm really excited about the idea of using StaffPad on a 28" Surface Studio computer. Here is a little video that shows it running on the big screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR7HAKmAdhs

I think I'll be able to read the music as it scrolls by on a 28" screen, that was always a little tough to do on the tablet. The Studio has a neat hinge that lets it fold down to 20 degrees while writing and can then can be moved to hold the screen vertically.

One of my ideas is to write up some Sor duets so that I can play along with them. If somebody else has StaffPad, perhaps we could split the work on a piece. I've gotten pretty fast at writing up the music but it still takes quite a bit of time.

Anyway, the Surface Studio computer is quite expensive, and I need room for another desk in my bedroom, so, it's going to take me months to sell off all of the stuff that is in the way, namely an eight foot shelving unit and about two hundred photo books. Out with the old, in with the new.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

JohnNguyen

Re: StaffPad on Surface Studio computer

Post by JohnNguyen » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:01 am

HI Larry,

Do you find Staffpad adequate for CG score writing, especially in terms of RH, LF fingerings and string indication?
Thanks,

John

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:47 am

JohnNguyen wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:01 am
HI Larry,

Do you find Staffpad adequate for CG score writing, especially in terms of RH, LF fingerings and string indication?
Thanks,

John
Hello John,

I think that StaffPad is adequate for writing in fingering and string indications. You can use different colors and write as large as you like.

I think the issue is one of reading the scrolling music on the rather small display of the Surface Pro 4. That's why I want the 28" Surface Studio, which should be large enough. It is an expensive computer, however.

JohnNguyen

Post by JohnNguyen » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:05 am

larryguitar wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:47 am
JohnNguyen wrote:
HI Larry,

Thanks,

John
Hello John,

I think that StaffPad is adequate for writing in fingering and string indications. You can use different colors and write as large as you like.

I think the issue is one of reading the scrolling music on the rather small display of the Surface Pro 4. That's why I want the 28" Surface Studio, which should be large enough. It is an expensive computer, however.
Thanks for your response, Larry! Yeah, I'm drooling on the 28" Surface Studio as well. Clearly, my eye sight did not follow the fine example of wine where it gets better with age. Oh well! :D

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:00 am

JohnNguyen wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:05 am
larryguitar wrote:
JohnNguyen wrote:
HI Larry,

Thanks,

John
Hello John,

Thanks for your response, Larry! Yeah, I'm drooling on the 28" Surface Studio as well. Clearly, my eye sight did not follow the fine example of wine where it gets better with age. Oh well! :D
Ha, we're all struggling with the same problems. I put off upgrading a prescription and was amazed how bright and clear the world was once I did!

I think the coolest thing about StaffPad is how it can be used as a practice partner. You can mute any of the parts or play them all and just double. Now, I'm working on a couple of Carulli duets and Satie's Gnossienne #1 arranged for two guitars.

I play from paper and don't try to play from the screen on the Surface Pro 4. I stick an ear pod in one ear and listen to the music as I listen to the guitar with the other ear.

The volume on the Surface Pro is quite low and I can drown it out. Once I get the Studio, I'll hook a pair of monitors to it so it will be louder.

It would be great to share StaffPad files on here. It takes some work to write in pieces but it helps in learning them.

Next up, perhaps some Scarlatti duets.

JohnNguyen

Post by JohnNguyen » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:24 am

larryguitar wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:00 am
JohnNguyen wrote:
larryguitar wrote:

Hello John,

Ha, we're all struggling with the same problems. I put off upgrading a prescription and was amazed how bright and clear the world was once I did!

I think the coolest thing about StaffPad is how it can be used as a practice partner. You can mute any of the parts or play them all and just double. Now, I'm working on a couple of Carulli duets and Satie's Gnossienne #1 arranged for two guitars.

I play from paper and don't try to play from the screen on the Surface Pro 4. I stick an ear pod in one ear and listen to the music as I listen to the guitar with the other ear.

The volume on the Surface Pro is quite low and I can drown it out. Once I get the Studio, I'll hook a pair of monitors to it so it will be louder.

It would be great to share StaffPad files on here. It takes some work to write in pieces but it helps in learning them.

Sounds like a good plan. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get the StaffPad. I played around with the Musecore for some time, but the StaffPad demo on youtube really got me very interested.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:56 pm

JohnNguyen wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:24 am
larryguitar wrote:
JohnNguyen wrote:

Sounds like a good plan. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get the StaffPad. I played around with the Musecore for some time, but the StaffPad demo on youtube really got me very interested.
About a week ago, I took delivery of the 28" Surface Studio. The screen is just amazing! It's wonderful to have a touchscreen that big. I find the technology to be incredible. I can easily read the music as it scrolls by but wonder if that is fair considering that I won't be able to do that when playing with my duet partner. So, I often play with a music stand in front of the computer, playing from the paper as the music plays on the computer.

I'll be selling my Surface Pro 4 laptop in order to help defray the cost of this setup. I look forward to working with it some more, it has to be the smartest metronome in existence. ;-)

John, have you tried StaffPad yet? What do you think?

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:14 pm

I have a Surface Studio in my office. It is by far the best PC I've ever owned. But that's to be expected with as nearly $4000 device! I have however never used StaffPad, as I do not compose or arrange.
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:19 pm

Steve Kutzer wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:14 pm
I have a Surface Studio in my office. It is by far the best PC I've ever owned. But that's to be expected with as nearly $4000 device! I have however never used StaffPad, as I do not compose or arrange.

Cool! I don't compose or arrange either, I just use StaffPad for ensemble practice. I think it is a great duet partner. By the way, StaffPad is only $70, an incredible bargain, in my opinion.

What kind of programs do you use on your Surface? Do you take advantage of the stylus?

JohnNguyen

Post by JohnNguyen » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:35 am

larryguitar wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:56 pm
JohnNguyen wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:24 am
larryguitar wrote:

About a week ago, I took delivery of the 28" Surface Studio. The screen is just amazing! It's wonderful to have a touchscreen that big. I find the technology to be incredible. I can easily read the music as it scrolls by but wonder if that is fair considering that I won't be able to do that when playing with my duet partner. So, I often play with a music stand in front of the computer, playing from the paper as the music plays on the computer.

I'll be selling my Surface Pro 4 laptop in order to help defray the cost of this setup. I look forward to working with it some more, it has to be the smartest metronome in existence. ;-)

John, have you tried StaffPad yet? What do you think?
I just started using it as of late, but I like it much better than the Musecore, as the learning curve is much faster with the use of the pen on my Surface Pro. Mistakes are much easier to correct, and similar measures can be done quickly with cut&past and slight modification as needed. It''s a $70 well spent, for me so far.

Steve Kutzer

Post by Steve Kutzer » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:49 pm

larryguitar wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:19 pm
Steve Kutzer wrote:

Cool! I don't compose or arrange either, I just use StaffPad for ensemble practice. I think it is a great duet partner. By the way, StaffPad is only $70, an incredible bargain, in my opinion.

What kind of programs do you use on your Surface? Do you take advantage of the stylus?
I run IT for a University and am looking at the Surface Studio as a good classroom podium device. The stylus and a projected image make a dandy whiteboard replacement. I connected it in my office initially to "test things out". It quickly became "mine". :-)
See my technology (and guitar!) site CIO Dojo

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:56 pm

Steve Kutzer wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:49 pm
larryguitar wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:19 pm
Steve Kutzer wrote:

I run IT for a University and am looking at the Surface Studio as a good classroom podium device. The stylus and a projected image make a dandy whiteboard replacement. I connected it in my office initially to "test things out". It quickly became "mine". :-)
That's funny. I remember one of my computer science professors teaching assembly language using transparencies on an overhead projector. Of course, using the Surface Studio is a lot more expensive than that but you can easily capture the lectures and play them back, so there are a lot of advantages to it. Which program are you using to simulate a whiteboard?

I'm a big fan of any device that brings the human hand into the process. As a programmer, I type all the time so it's nice to be able to draw or mark up with a stylus. I also use the Sony DPT-RP1 to take notes and make designs. The RP1 is an eInk device that lets a person mark up PDFs or create PDFs of handwritten notes from scratch. The battery lasts a long time compared to LCD screen but you can't browse the web with it. Still, it is the closest thing to writing with a pencil that I have found.

I also bought a 10.5 inch iPad Pro. It is also a wonderful device, especially with the addition of the Apple Pencil. The refresh rate on the iPad Pro is 120Hz! The scrolling is incredibly smooth and the text is very sharp. In technology, devices just keep getting better and better.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:12 pm

When we will get computers which will make audio into score (with no mistakes)?
This would be really really good! Any news on this front?
I'd better speak by music...Please listen it on Spotify, Apple Music, Deezer, etc. Thanks!

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:03 pm

"I also bought a 10.5 inch iPad Pro. It is also a wonderful device."

I'm lusting for the 12.7 inch Ipad pro, but you're the second person who's recently said they liked the smaller screen just fine. They're available used for much cheaper than the larger IPad pro...so...do you find that notation appears shrunken to any degree from a normal sized page of notation?
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:16 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:03 pm
"I also bought a 10.5 inch iPad Pro. It is also a wonderful device."

I'm lusting for the 12.7 inch Ipad pro, but you're the second person who's recently said they liked the smaller screen just fine. They're available used for much cheaper than the larger IPad pro...so...do you find that notation appears shrunken to any degree from a normal sized page of notation?
Well, I should have been clearer. I don't use the 10.5 inch iPad Pro for musical notation, at least, not yet. I just bought it a few days ago. So, I'm not sure how well the 10.5k inch works with music. I can try it when I get some time. I wasn't that happy trying to play from music on the Surface Pro 4 so perhaps the iPad will be too small.

StaffPad only runs on Microsoft Surface products. I'm selling my Surface Pro 4 to contribute some money towards the cost of the Surface Studio. I only practice with the computer at home so the desktop machine makes more sense than the laptop/tablet, I think.

The Sony RP1 is 13.3 inches, and would be a terrific device for sheet music, if Sony had enabled Bluetooth page turning. :-( They may yet do that, a bunch of us have asked for Bluetooth support.

I switched my New York Times subscription to digital only and doing that will eventually pay for the iPad Pro, as the cost drops from $60 to $15 a month. I'm tired of drowning in newsprint.

Return to “Public Space”