StaffPad on Surface Studio computer

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
larryguitar

StaffPad on Surface Studio computer

Post by larryguitar » Fri May 05, 2017 6:51 pm

I've been using StaffPad on a Surface Pro 4 tablet to write up all the parts for guitar quartet when we get together once in a while to play together. I'm really excited about the idea of using StaffPad on a 28" Surface Studio computer. Here is a little video that shows it running on the big screen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR7HAKmAdhs

I think I'll be able to read the music as it scrolls by on a 28" screen, that was always a little tough to do on the tablet. The Studio has a neat hinge that lets it fold down to 20 degrees while writing and can then can be moved to hold the screen vertically.

One of my ideas is to write up some Sor duets so that I can play along with them. If somebody else has StaffPad, perhaps we could split the work on a piece. I've gotten pretty fast at writing up the music but it still takes quite a bit of time.

Anyway, the Surface Studio computer is quite expensive, and I need room for another desk in my bedroom, so, it's going to take me months to sell off all of the stuff that is in the way, namely an eight foot shelving unit and about two hundred photo books. Out with the old, in with the new.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

JohnNguyen

Re: StaffPad on Surface Studio computer

Post by JohnNguyen » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:01 am

HI Larry,

Do you find Staffpad adequate for CG score writing, especially in terms of RH, LF fingerings and string indication?
Thanks,

John

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:47 am

JohnNguyen wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:01 am
HI Larry,

Do you find Staffpad adequate for CG score writing, especially in terms of RH, LF fingerings and string indication?
Thanks,

John
Hello John,

I think that StaffPad is adequate for writing in fingering and string indications. You can use different colors and write as large as you like.

I think the issue is one of reading the scrolling music on the rather small display of the Surface Pro 4. That's why I want the 28" Surface Studio, which should be large enough. It is an expensive computer, however.

JohnNguyen

Post by JohnNguyen » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:05 am

larryguitar wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:47 am
JohnNguyen wrote:
HI Larry,

Thanks,

John
Hello John,

I think that StaffPad is adequate for writing in fingering and string indications. You can use different colors and write as large as you like.

I think the issue is one of reading the scrolling music on the rather small display of the Surface Pro 4. That's why I want the 28" Surface Studio, which should be large enough. It is an expensive computer, however.
Thanks for your response, Larry! Yeah, I'm drooling on the 28" Surface Studio as well. Clearly, my eye sight did not follow the fine example of wine where it gets better with age. Oh well! :D

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:00 am

JohnNguyen wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:05 am
larryguitar wrote:
JohnNguyen wrote:
HI Larry,

Thanks,

John
Hello John,

Thanks for your response, Larry! Yeah, I'm drooling on the 28" Surface Studio as well. Clearly, my eye sight did not follow the fine example of wine where it gets better with age. Oh well! :D
Ha, we're all struggling with the same problems. I put off upgrading a prescription and was amazed how bright and clear the world was once I did!

I think the coolest thing about StaffPad is how it can be used as a practice partner. You can mute any of the parts or play them all and just double. Now, I'm working on a couple of Carulli duets and Satie's Gnossienne #1 arranged for two guitars.

I play from paper and don't try to play from the screen on the Surface Pro 4. I stick an ear pod in one ear and listen to the music as I listen to the guitar with the other ear.

The volume on the Surface Pro is quite low and I can drown it out. Once I get the Studio, I'll hook a pair of monitors to it so it will be louder.

It would be great to share StaffPad files on here. It takes some work to write in pieces but it helps in learning them.

Next up, perhaps some Scarlatti duets.

JohnNguyen

Post by JohnNguyen » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:24 am

larryguitar wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:00 am
JohnNguyen wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:05 am
larryguitar wrote:

Hello John,

Ha, we're all struggling with the same problems. I put off upgrading a prescription and was amazed how bright and clear the world was once I did!

I think the coolest thing about StaffPad is how it can be used as a practice partner. You can mute any of the parts or play them all and just double. Now, I'm working on a couple of Carulli duets and Satie's Gnossienne #1 arranged for two guitars.

I play from paper and don't try to play from the screen on the Surface Pro 4. I stick an ear pod in one ear and listen to the music as I listen to the guitar with the other ear.

The volume on the Surface Pro is quite low and I can drown it out. Once I get the Studio, I'll hook a pair of monitors to it so it will be louder.

It would be great to share StaffPad files on here. It takes some work to write in pieces but it helps in learning them.

Next up, perhaps some Scarlatti duets.
Sounds like a good plan. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get the StaffPad. I played around with the Musecore for some time, but the StaffPad demo on youtube really got me very interested.

Return to “Public Space”