Who owns a Hauser 2 or a Jose Romanillos?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Guitarhancock

Who owns a Hauser 2 or a Jose Romanillos?

Post by Guitarhancock » Sun May 07, 2017 7:50 pm

I would be interested in the opinion of someone who owns and regularly plays one of these two makers instruments. Their heritage is legendary and I have heard only recordings.
Hopefully someone other than a collector or a world class player enjoys them . Of course there are many other famous luthiers but these two are my interest.

How "good" are they from a players perspective? Simple or complex answers appreciated.

eno

Re: Who owns a Hauser 2 or a Jose Romanillos?

Post by eno » Sun May 07, 2017 9:12 pm

Guitarhancock wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 7:50 pm
Hopefully someone other than a collector or a world class player enjoys them .
Yeah, if you have a spare $200K you can enjoy a Hauser 2 :D Romanillos is a litte cheaper.
Antigoni Goni always plays on Romanillos, you can listen to her CDs, beautiful sound.
She plays and talks about her Romanillos here
And here she tries a Hauser
Here is another sound sample of Hauser
I tried once Hauser 2, it was wery friendly and easy to play, I felt almost like it plays itself. And of course the sound which is impossible to describe...
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967
Rokutaro Nakade 1967
Mitsuru Tamura No.800 1969

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Sun May 07, 2017 9:22 pm

I have had two Romanillos in my hands in the last year or so and heard one of the pair played by a professional. I hope to hear the same guy play the other one in a few months time. I am not much of a player but they were both just lovely, and effortless to play. Never had a Hauser of any kind in my hands so I can't say anything about that.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun May 07, 2017 10:38 pm

I've had a 64 Hauser II in my hands and it was just Devine. My Hauser III is still newish and developing and if given a choice would pick my Hauser III.
I played a 70's Rominillos and if it were for sale would buy it. Beautiful!
Hauser III 2014!

Rome714

Post by Rome714 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:59 am

Hauser 2 guitars are not 200k, maybe if it was owned by Julian Bream. They sell anywhere from 35-65k or so. I played a 1976 Hauser 2 and a 2004 Hauser 3(Segovia model) at a dealer, with my wife, a year ago and thought the 2004 was a lot better. The Hauser 3 had brilliant trebles , sounded really nice. I wasn't thrilled about the basses though they were good not great, probably could be changed with a different string choice. I heard Hauser 2 experimented a lot and so his guitars can be hit or miss, the one I played did not sound that good honestly especially for the price. The Sahlin I played that day which was still in a box that was shipped from the east to the west and arrived the day prior sounded the best to me that day. It had really nice trebles and clarity. The basses were great and the guitar had a nice tonal balance that you could bring out a lot of colors. I tried many high end instruments that day including a Hernandez y aguado. For me the Hauser 3 and Sahlin were the best guitars that day by far. My wife heard the same thing and bought me the Sahlin the next day as an early birthday present. I was just curious to try out everything I could and the owner was more than happy to oblige. He was great. I never tried a romanillos, it's on my list though. Just try as many guitars as you can and find the right one for you.
76' Mattingly CD/IN, 95' David Daily CD/IN, 97' Eric Sahlin SP/BRW(serial #200)
03' Malapanis CD/Cocobolo, 06' Brian Dunn SP/IN, 13' Vowinkel CD/BRW

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Mon May 08, 2017 4:24 am

I'd love to know where a Hauser 2 is available for US$35k. I suspect you will find the market price around US$50-65k depending on condition.

Contrary to what Rome714 says I have heard that Hauser 2 was very consistent. Certainly from my limited experience he produced wonderful guitars with tone to die for.

Rome714

Post by Rome714 » Mon May 08, 2017 4:54 am

There's a 1975 Hauser 2 at Portland classic guitar for 35k.
76' Mattingly CD/IN, 95' David Daily CD/IN, 97' Eric Sahlin SP/BRW(serial #200)
03' Malapanis CD/Cocobolo, 06' Brian Dunn SP/IN, 13' Vowinkel CD/BRW

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:02 am

If that guitar sounds as good as most Hauser 2's it is a bargain (relatively) as it is well under normal market prices. It might be a Llobet model - they tend to sell for a little less as the higher box resonance frequency does not seem so popular.
Last edited by petermc61 on Mon May 08, 2017 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DenisJ_III

Post by DenisJ_III » Mon May 08, 2017 12:16 pm

Don't ask me about Romanillos!
I'm the idiot who met him in 1978 and didn't buy a guitar for £200. I met him through my then teacher who had one of his instruments; I played that one a few times and loved it. It seemed extraordinarily easy to play and had tremendous clarity.
In my defence, it was too much money for me at that time (newly married and first mortgage, you know the kind of thing).

It is true that one's main regrets, later in life, are those things that one didn't do - rather than those that one did.

As they say where I live, 'C'est la vie!'

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Mon May 08, 2017 5:25 pm

In 1978 you could have bought one of mine for the princely sum of £5. That's probably how much it cost me to make my very first guitar.
The £200 figure seems very low for a Romanillos even in 1978. I think he made around 15 guitars per year, which would have put him well below the average wage, especially after taking into account costs.
Historicalguitars.

Bill

Post by Bill » Mon May 08, 2017 10:11 pm

I had a 1977 Hauser in the late 80's. Having spent nearly the previous 20 years on Ramirez guitars , I didn't know what to make of it. The Hauser neck felt boxy, the body seemed small, and it sounded unflattering & dry to me. I sold it a few years later.

It probably says more about me than the guitar.I am very sorry I didn't make more of an effot to adjust to it. My tastes have certainly changed (evolved) over the past 30 years. Although I still love a good Ramirez, I have been playing more Hauser style guitars recently

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Mon May 08, 2017 11:53 pm

Hauser II is a very interesting case in that family. I am of the opinion that he either built fairly mediocre guitars or some of the very best of any of them. So a large price spread is not entirely out of line regardless of condition etc. I currently have one from 1959 that I consider to be one of the all-time greats and capable of going toe to toe with the very best of Hauser I. I had it up against the 37 Hauser that wowed Dofpic and they are incredibly similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZFRwga ... e=youtu.be

With any luck I'll be seeing a couple of Romanillos guitars soon too Suffice to say that while they share a common lineage of inspiration they tend to be a good bit different, at least in my experience.
Aaron Green, Luthier

Guitarists unite to help Anthony Weller. PM me to ask how you may do so as well.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:55 pm

Aaron

How would a luthier build either mediocre guitars or some of the very best ever made, but not damn fine instruments in the middle of that spread? Doesn't seem likely to me.

Regards
Peter

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Tue May 09, 2017 12:04 am

Can't tell you that other than my experience is exactly that. I've spoken with others that have noticed a pretty similar trait. It might very well be that once he went off onto this own tangent his work was less remarkable. The 59 is a carbon copy of his Dad's guitar, out of his Dad's wood and frankly that design, with it's thick top (relatively speaking) can easily lend itself to pretty unremarkable guitars. The best of both Hauser I and Hauser II that I've seen have a spruce that I would say strikes me as very light for it's stiffness and toughness. I have a batch of German like that right now and it's unlike any spruce I've encountered. It's almost like a hardwood except its quite light weight.
Aaron Green, Luthier

Guitarists unite to help Anthony Weller. PM me to ask how you may do so as well.

jungjaesung

Post by jungjaesung » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:35 pm

Guitarhancock wrote:
Sun May 07, 2017 7:50 pm
I would be interested in the opinion of someone who owns and regularly plays one of these two makers instruments. Their heritage is legendary and I have heard only recordings.
Hopefully someone other than a collector or a world class player enjoys them . Of course there are many other famous luthiers but these two are my interest.

How "good" are they from a players perspective? Simple or complex answers appreciated.
I happen to own both right now. A 1966 Hauser II and a 1977 Jose Romanillos. The 2 instruments are very different that they are almost incomparable. It would pretty much depend on your taste and of course as Aaron Green says, depends on which specimen you have. Let me try to describe the ones I have now.

The Hauser II I has a very warm, deep sound. It has this somewhat personal and intimate sound that is very enjoyable and addicting to play. Good separation but at the same time, very even across registers. I find it that this guitar really spoils the player in terms of tone, I find it very easy to get the sounds that I want and the guitar really sings by herself if you can understand what I mean.

The Romanillos on the other hand is a different beast. The sound is more focused and direct as opposed to the Hauser's velvety timbre. The trebles are brilliant and the bass has this Spanish growl. The thing I find interesting on this guitar is that it will not sound good on every player who uses it. It is much harder to control the sound because it is so sensitive to the slightest variation of attack. It is easy to get a full and round note but it is also prone to produce a thin and bad notes of you are not careful your with playing. It can be a disadvantage but for me it is quality. It just have this wide pallete of colors that you can produce with a guitar but it really takes time to get to know more on how to use it. I find the Hauser to be a deeper and warmer instrument but the Romanillos is sparkly and with a punchier gowlier bass. Depending on the playstyle, either of the 2 will suit a performer. I personally am more confortable playing on the Romanillos because the wider dynamic range and i feel that I can drive it more.

I hope that helps, I am not really good in describing instruments but I plan to record samples with both of the guitars to share.

Though if you ask me which old guitar is my favorite and would recommend, I would say neither of the 2 because my favorite old instrument that I have is my 1960 Ramirez PB. I feel it outclasses both guitars in terms of sound but is evened out by the playbility (I really need to consider rehauling the whole neck). :D

If you want a good video on how good a 1960's Ramirez sounds like, look up Enno Voorhorst playing Handel's Chaconne. If you are lucky, you can find something like that with a third of a price for a Hauser ii or Romanillos. :D

Return to “Public Space”