Who owns a Hauser 2 or a Jose Romanillos?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Aaron Green
Luthier

Re: Who owns a Hauser 2 or a Jose Romanillos?

Post by Aaron Green » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:50 am

As luck would have it I recently got in a gorgeous 1959 Hauser II, the second I've represented from that year. Here's a video of Frank Wallace doing a far better job getting the sound across than I ever could with words. Its top is actually a sister top to an amazing 1937 Hauser owned by a client of mine. The wide and irregular grain and hazelficte is hard to miss and the sound of the two guitars is not entirely dissimilar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O9vXXf0EA4
Aaron Green, Luthier

Guitarists unite to help Anthony Weller. PM me to ask how you may do so as well.

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:03 am

Aaron Green wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:50 am
As luck would have it I recently got in a gorgeous 1959 Hauser II, the second I've represented from that year. Here's a video of Frank Wallace doing a far better job getting the sound across than I ever could with words. Its top is actually a sister top to an amazing 1937 Hauser owned by a client of mine. The wide and irregular grain and hazelficte is hard to miss and the sound of the two guitars is not entirely dissimilar.

Thank you for posting. IMO, one of the best sounding Hauser II. In spite of youtube audio quality, the magnificent sound still comes through.

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:25 am

Thank you!

You ought to try and put it thorough some good speakers. Frank takes a lot of pains in his recordings and always runs them through some serious equipment. In any case I agree, it's a magnificent Hauser.
Aaron Green, Luthier

Guitarists unite to help Anthony Weller. PM me to ask how you may do so as well.

Aaron Powell

Post by Aaron Powell » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:32 am

Aaron Green wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:25 am
Thank you!

You ought to try and put it thorough some good speakers. Frank takes a lot of pains in his recordings and always runs them through some serious equipment. In any case I agree, it's a magnificent Hauser.
Oh my, how wonderful....

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:29 am

Aaron Green wrote:
As luck would have it I recently got in a gorgeous 1959 Hauser II, the second I've represented from that year. Here's a video of Frank Wallace doing a far better job getting the sound across than I ever could with words.
I know it's YouTube but, TBH, the most impressive thing about that video is how well your own "Aaron Green 2016" model stands up (adjacent video). Indeed, I prefer your guitar to the Hauser on this brief showing. I'm guessing it'salso a bit cheaper?!
Would be lovely to hear them in person.

Aaron Green
Luthier

Post by Aaron Green » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:56 am

UKsteve wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:29 am
Aaron Green wrote:
As luck would have it I recently got in a gorgeous 1959 Hauser II, the second I've represented from that year. Here's a video of Frank Wallace doing a far better job getting the sound across than I ever could with words.
I know it's YouTube but, TBH, the most impressive thing about that video is how well your own "Aaron Green 2016" model stands up (adjacent video). Indeed, I prefer your guitar to the Hauser on this brief showing. I'm guessing it'salso a bit cheaper?!
Would be lovely to hear them in person.
Thank you, I appreciate your comments very much. I will spill the beans here a bit in regard to these recordings. Frank Wallace recently finished 5 short studies for guitar, written for and dedicated to a mutual friend of ours (and one of my best clients) in Europe. A dear and lovely man who is like family. These new pieces are IMO extraordinary and together form quite a lovely suite. We (Frank and I) were discussing this and I said I wanted him to record the pieces for the Youtube channel and since we have access to some rather nice guitars, lets do something notable. At one point in time, there were 4 Hausers in my stable. 2 Seniors and 2 Jrs. The Seniors are the 41 that we restored and have recorded extensively, a glorious 39 Llobet model which there is also a recording of, and two Hauser II both from 1959. The other 59 has sold but the owner is waiting to take delivery so it's still around and Frank owns a magnificent 31 Hauser senior. So between the both of us, we had 5 Hausers. Sadly but not sadly the Llobet model sold and is not within striking distance. So the recording which will be coming out is on 4 Hausers and 1 Green. The Green is my smaller model, inspired equally by Romanillos and the Llobet Hausers so I felt it was the appropriate guitar to put in the mix, and its owned by a good friend of mine a few towns away. And of course it's a guitar I am very happy with.

Frank sent me the entire suite recorded on my guitar in the interim and is right now going over what he got and putting together the final lineup on the Hauser/Green recording. I can't wait to hear it and put it out there. This recording is our answer to the popular "same piece of x number of guitars" that others have done on Youtube. While I totally understand the exercise none of these recordings have really done it for me, I tend to find it rather jarring when a guitar is switched out mid piece. So we are attempting to up the game as it were.:)

In regards to my work relative to those I've studied... the goal is to stand on their shoulders, only made possible by having the benefit of their example (and of course having had a great teacher in Al Carruth to get me started). Thats the goal anyways, impressions regarding success/failure of course may vary. :) My work as a dealer came about simply because I've spent so many years seeking out these masterpieces to study and inform myself as a builder. I was just in Firenze visiting Andrea Tacchi, whom I am happy to call a friend and also one of the few living builders who's work I truly admire and we were discussing this very topic. If an art is "alive" then the lessons of the previous generations will push the younger generations further down the road.

All that being said, that Hauser is among the very best and I'm just happy my work compares favorably in this case. And yes one of mine is far more affordable and I do warranty work, which Hauser II is sadly not able to compete with me on. So there's another added value, for the time being anyways:) You or anyone else is very much welcome to come by the shop and play whatever is kicking around. Generally there is a nice herd of guitars grazing upstairs.
Aaron Green, Luthier

Return to “Public Space”