New Guitar Review - Italian Double Top

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Adrian Allan

New Guitar Review - Italian Double Top

Post by Adrian Allan » Sat May 27, 2017 6:44 am

I received a new guitar yesterday, which is an a double top by the young Italian luthier Claudia F.D'Ammassa.
image1.JPG
image2.JPG
image3.JPG
image4.JPG

I spend quite a lot of time looking on the internet looking at makers, and seeing her beautifully built guitars, I decided to ask Claudia to build me a spruce double top.

The guitar exceeds all expectations - it is loud, tonally responsive, has perfect intonation and is a pleasure to play. It was less that 2K Euros, which for a DT is remarkable value (but as she gains reputation, the prices will obviously soon rise). I can't post commercial links here, but PM me if you want contact details.

I also own an Adalid/ Hopf membrane double top in Cedar, so I wanted a complete contrast this time.

I have done a very rough comparison video. I say it is rough, because there are people walking in and out of the room, I am still learning the piece/ reading from the score and also I'm a bit of an aggressive player - but you can see the contrast in the two guitars because the recording settings are exactly the same.

Youtube
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Adrian Allan

Re: New Guitar Review - Italian Double Top

Post by Adrian Allan » Sat May 27, 2017 6:50 am

Moderators - can you help me to embed the above the video? thanks

David_Norton

Post by David_Norton » Sat May 27, 2017 12:58 pm

Offhand, the Adalid sounds better. Fuller, richer, more colouration. Give the new one a few months to mature, then the situation may change.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Sat May 27, 2017 1:03 pm

David_Norton wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 12:58 pm
Offhand, the Adalid sounds better. Fuller, richer, more colouration. Give the new one a few months to mature, then the situation may change.
It is also worth noting that I have the Adalid set up exactly as I want it - down to the string tension and the saddle height, and over two years I have probably subconsciously micro-adjusted my playing to suit the guitar.

The new guitar was literally out of the box yesterday, so these tests can never be fully objective.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Sun May 28, 2017 10:46 am

I recorded this in one take on the new guitar in my back garden, so there are a few mistakes

and a little reverb added

Youtube

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Sun May 28, 2017 1:14 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 10:46 am
I recorded this in one take on the new guitar in my back garden, so there are a few mistakes

and a little reverb added

Youtube
https://youtu.be/lHkTWs1Dq8U[/YouTube]
A better recording than the first one. What was it recorded with?
Let's see if I can fix the error I was getting when I clicked the black youtube pic.

Youtube

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Sun May 28, 2017 3:25 pm

Thanks, Steve for the Youtube fix

It was recorded with a Yeti USB microphone and some reverb was added in Cubase after I separated the audio from the video.

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Sun May 28, 2017 9:25 pm

Thought you might like to see this, the same Adalid/Hopf as you play. So you're in good company

https://youtu.be/irDQnTuDW1k

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Sun May 28, 2017 9:36 pm

Gary Macleod wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 9:25 pm
Thought you might like to see this, the same Adalid/Hopf as you play. So you're in good company

thanks - nice to see somebody who has won one of the highest standard guitar competitions playing the same instrument.

I'm shifting to the opinion that Spruce can change over time, as the other guitar does seem to have improved over the past few days, but such things can never be scientifically proven. Let me know if your spruce Adalid/Hopf improves, or you perceive it to improve.

Gary Macleod

Post by Gary Macleod » Sun May 28, 2017 9:56 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 9:36 pm
Gary Macleod wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 9:25 pm

thanks - nice to see somebody who has won one of the highest standard guitar competitions playing the same instrument.

I'm shifting to the opinion that Spruce can change over time, as the other guitar does seem to have improved over the past few days, but such things can never be scientifically proven. Let me know if your spruce Adalid/Hopf improves, or you perceive it to improve.
Will do although I'd expect it to take a few months usually

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun May 28, 2017 11:22 pm

New guitars (from my experience) always change over the first few weeks after being first being put under tension. I don't think this has anything to do with the spruce changing (a longer term effect). It's just things settling down.

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:39 pm

Took it along to one of the most respected guitar repairers in the North West to lower the action by a couple of mm (I did not trust myself to do this simple job well).

He said it was one of the best guitars he had seen for a long time, and particularly liked the pattern (not sure what this is called in technical language) seen on the second photo that joins the two halves of the back from the inside.

Now it plays like a dream, and the intonation is near perfect to my ears.

StevSmar

Post by StevSmar » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:39 am

Beautiful guitar, you must be super excited.

The sound in your Seville video is great, very nice tone.

(I'm surprised how nice your Seville video sounds, I can see the trees moving in the background....)
Regards,

Steven from Winnipeg

Adrian Allan

Post by Adrian Allan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:36 pm

StevSmar wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:39 am
Beautiful guitar, you must be super excited.

The sound in your Seville video is great, very nice tone.

(I'm surprised how nice your Seville video sounds, I can see the trees moving in the background....)
Thanks for the listen. Yes, it was totally outdoors, I was surprised as well - which has made me think about recording outside again and then adding a little reverb.

LBrandt

Post by LBrandt » Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:04 pm

Adrian Allan wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:39 pm
Took it along to one of the most respected guitar repairers in the North West to lower the action by a couple of mm (I did not trust myself to do this simple job well).

He said it was one of the best guitars he had seen for a long time, and particularly liked the pattern (not sure what this is called in technical language) seen on the second photo that joins the two halves of the back from the inside.

Now it plays like a dream, and the intonation is near perfect to my ears.
Can you tell me what the action measurement is, now that you've lowered it?

Thanks.

Return to “Public Space”