Complete Solo Recordings - Narciso Yepes

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Altophile

Re: Complete Solo Recordings - Narciso Yepes

Post by Altophile » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:09 am

So what's the point in having the extra strings if it makes little difference? The extra sonorities that (for example) Drew Henderson in his YT videos has at his disposal on his 8-string guitar -- along with his obvious skill as a player -- makes for a different listening experience from someone playing a 6-string instrument. And certainly a digital piano, a spinet and a concert grand are still all pianos. A Beethoven sonata may sound different on each.
For Yepes, the point was sympathetic resonance.

~Sean

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:09 pm

ddray wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:18 pm
So what's the point in having the extra strings if it makes little difference?
I don't think it makes little difference. We need to cut several notes of a Beethoven Sonata to be playable with the guitar, so it regularly kills the original intention, that is the reason few guitarists try to arrange and play a Beethoven sonata with a guitar.
For Bach, I think there are several bass notes we need to change and it does not have the same sound result, it looses the resonance and some harmonic effect and I think this is a point for the instrument with more strings in some cases.

DavisComposer85

Post by DavisComposer85 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:23 am

Yes, I noticed that at Amazon few weeks ago. Definitely get one.

Return to “Public Space”