Complete Solo Recordings - Narciso Yepes

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Altophile

Re: Complete Solo Recordings - Narciso Yepes

Post by Altophile » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:09 am

So what's the point in having the extra strings if it makes little difference? The extra sonorities that (for example) Drew Henderson in his YT videos has at his disposal on his 8-string guitar -- along with his obvious skill as a player -- makes for a different listening experience from someone playing a 6-string instrument. And certainly a digital piano, a spinet and a concert grand are still all pianos. A Beethoven sonata may sound different on each.
For Yepes, the point was sympathetic resonance.

~Sean

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:09 pm

ddray wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:18 pm
So what's the point in having the extra strings if it makes little difference?
I don't think it makes little difference. We need to cut several notes of a Beethoven Sonata to be playable with the guitar, so it regularly kills the original intention, that is the reason few guitarists try to arrange and play a Beethoven sonata with a guitar.
For Bach, I think there are several bass notes we need to change and it does not have the same sound result, it looses the resonance and some harmonic effect and I think this is a point for the instrument with more strings in some cases.

DavisComposer85

Post by DavisComposer85 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:23 am

Yes, I noticed that at Amazon few weeks ago. Definitely get one.

Victor2016

Post by Victor2016 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:52 am

gitgeezer wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:08 pm
My impression is that 90 percent or more of his recordings are of Spanish composers, though he did do Bach and, I think, Vivaldi. I assume he was among the best with Spanish compositions, but can someone tell me how good he was with Bach and other non-Spanish composers?
He has an excellent recording of Scarlatti sonatas. Definitely one of best ever done.
2015 Alhambra 5p

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:10 am

I entirely disagree regarding the resonance of the 10 string compared to that of the 6 string. To my ears the two have always sounded very different in their sonority.

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:51 am

From the Master himself:

"In the first place, the four supplementary strings give the ten-string guitar a balanced sound which the six-string guitar is far from having. In fact, at the moment of playing a note on one string, another begins to vibrate by sympathetic resonance. On the six-string guitar this phenomenon is produced only on four notes, while on mine the twelve notes of the scale each have their sympathetic resonance. Thus the lopsided sonority of the six-string guitar is transformed into a wider and equal sonority on a ten-string guitar." (Yepes, quoted by Graham Wade in the liner notes to "Narciso Yepes, the Complete Solo Recordings")

~Sean

goldenoldie

Post by goldenoldie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:58 pm

The difference is subtle but real. The double courses of lutes, and dual/triple registers of harpsichords exploited this effectively. It's the upper partials that contribute to the richer tone.
If you've been listening to music on earbuds at a high volume, you may have trouble hearing them.
Many years ago, I listened to music on earbuds on a very noisy train... and I cranked up the volume of course. The ride was only an hour each way, but for almost a week I wasn't able to tune my harpsichord—I couldn't hear the overtones needed to temper the fifths and the thirds. I have not used earbuds since.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:07 pm

goldenoldie wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:58 pm
The difference is subtle but real. The double courses of lutes, and dual/triple registers of harpsichords exploited this effectively. It's the upper partials that contribute to the richer tone.
If you've been listening to music on earbuds at a high volume, you may have trouble hearing them.
Many years ago, I listened to music on earbuds on a very noisy train... and I cranked up the volume of course. The ride was only an hour each way, but for almost a week I wasn't able to tune my harpsichord—I couldn't hear the overtones needed to temper the fifths and the thirds. I have not used earbuds since.
As for earbuds, the first thing you do is throw away the ones Apple included and get a pair of Etymotic earbuds. With the big yellow foam plugs, I can get 33dB of noise attenuation so I don't have to crank them up. It's all about reducing the ambient noise level. I'm using the ER4SR model and, while expensive, they're amazing.

goldenoldie

Post by goldenoldie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:39 pm

You were serious when you said they were expensive! But If I needed earbuds in my work, these would be the ones.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:00 pm

goldenoldie wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:39 pm
You were serious when you said they were expensive! But If I needed earbuds in my work, these would be the ones.
Yeah, but you can find them cheaper or buy the older ER4 models which are almost as good and take the same foam plugs. I've been a long time user of their earplugs.

Look at the frequency response curves for their ear plugs. You pay for that level of accuracy.

I think they make music so much more enjoyable than the stock earplugs that they're worth the price. Plus, they're tiny and easy to carry with you while traveling. I don't leave home without them.

goldenoldie

Post by goldenoldie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:01 pm

Thanks for the tip! My son commutes on the train and will find these useful. I remind myself that buying a good product that works pays off because I would have spent almost the same amount of money buying a few cheaper ones that don't work that well anyway :-)

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:14 pm

goldenoldie wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:01 pm
Thanks for the tip! My son commutes on the train and will find these useful. I remind myself that buying a good product that works pays off because I would have spent almost the same amount of money buying a few cheaper ones that don't work that well anyway :-)
Yeah, that's what I've discovered. Every time I try to save money, I usually lose it in some other way, by buying multiple products or by being unhappy with what I bought.

A few other tips. If your son wants a lot of bass response, he might not be happy with in-the-ear plugs. Bass is felt by the body and so that's lost with any kind of earphone. They sell a version where they bump the bass by 5dB to try to compensate.

The older models have plastic driver casings. The tips can break over time. The new ones are made from milled aluminum and should be sturdier. Etymotic has great customer service and they replaced a set where the tips had broken after maybe five years of daily use.

Lastly, these earplugs isolate background noise so effectively that they transmit microphonic noise, like when the cord rubs your shirt. They're definitely not safe for running, you won't hear environmental noise at all!

goldenoldie

Post by goldenoldie » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:29 pm

:merci: Thanks again, especially for the warning for runners.

djajasoekarta

Post by djajasoekarta » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:09 am

Any review for the CD's?
'The woolen cloth of his suit made me question the value of Chinese silks. His fountain pen made me ashamed of my writing brushes and Chinese writing paper' - Puyi

'I don't write music to be difficult, only to be more like itself' - Harrison Birtwistle

Return to “Public Space”