What to do with CG scores/books/recordings "after I'm gone"?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
David Norton

What to do with CG scores/books/recordings "after I'm gone"?

Post by David Norton » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:39 pm

This falls into (presumably!) Advance Planning.

At an unknown point in time, I shall pass away. Over the last 45 years I have amassed a large collection of CG-related music, books, magazines, sheet music, music books, LPs, cassettes, and CDs, not to mention several instruments. As it stands now, I fully expect to keep buying a few new things each year. But the hourglass for each of us runs lower daily.

I've left detailed information on the guitars inside the cases, so the Executor of the Estate will have a starting point for selling these. But the music, recordings, and magazines? I'd hate to think these will just go into recycling, but unless I can somehow place a value on each item -- and taken collectively I surely have over 10000 separate items -- that's what I expect will be done.

Should I just place a general appendix to the Will? Is it better to go into some detail? For example I have the full runs of "Guitar Review" and "GFA Soundboard" magazines from Vol 1 #1 to the most current. I have original manuscript scores written by Segovia, Rak, Ponce, Tedesco, Gilardino. Most of these are published, but not all. I have original concert programmes going back to the 1940s. And yes at the other extreme I have basic student exercise books, mass-market anthologies of dubious quality, and even some boutique-publisher editions which are best used as fish wrappers.

Again, I am sincerely hoping this is a long-range question. But one never knows the date or time of the Last Call.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

lagartija

Re: What to do with CG scores/books/recordings "after I'm gone"?

Post by lagartija » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:33 am

Perhaps best to gift the collection to a library or music school or even a charity that could have ithe music and magazines auctioned off as lots.
That is most likely what the executor would have to do...might as well make that decision for them.
The guitars could be sold by the estate and the proceeds would go to any designated heirs.
If you have quite a few and the executor is not an expert, they would most likely send them to a dealer to be sold.
I would not expect any executor to try to sell off individual things on their own. Most of the time, there is just too much "stuff" and if your house must be sold, they have little time to go through and evaluate everything before they must get rid of all the "stuff" you have collected.
Pick out the most valuable things and list them and ID them in some way. Assume the rest will be auctioned off.
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Nick Clow

Post by Nick Clow » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:42 am

I sincerely hope that this reflection on your mortality has not been provoked by anything specific!

Having recently updated my will, (in Australia at least) the prescribed format of the will contains a standard section for specific bequests of property. So you could itemise to whom you want the items in your collection to go to and you could go into great detail if you chose to.

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:28 am

Been thinking the same thing (for no specific reason :casque: ) and thought best was to try and find a home for most things e.g. scores well before hand, leaving just an instrument or two, which could be easily bequested.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:30 am

I hope you wrote on the slips of paper you put in the guitar cases, "Sell at market value, not for what I said I paid", or something to that effect. ;-)

These days, it is fairly easy to get everything sold on the Bay or some such site, even if sheet music, books, and magazines do not fetch high prices. One guy sold all of his possessions except for about a dozen items. I don't think he owns a guitar. Of course, I'm sure some stuff will have to be thrown out.

Have you seen Wolf Hall on PBS? It's a show about Henry VIII and Thomas Cromwell, who is brilliantly played by Mark Rylance. In a scene where Cromwell is breaking the news to Francis Weston that Weston will be put to death, due to uttering some foolish words about wanting to marry the Queen after the death of the King, Weston says:

"It's just...I thought I had another twenty years."

and Cromwell replies:

"...Well, we know not the hour, do we, Francis?"

which, of course, is a reference to the Bible, from Matthew:

"But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only." King James version

JohnB

Post by JohnB » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:35 pm

It's something I had wondered about from time to time as I have a collection of around 1000 classical CDs and three luthier guitars which deserve loving homes.

The classical CDs could probably go to the nearest secondary school, but my impression is that classical music is no longer enthusiastically taught in schools so I fear that the CDs might be an embarrassment.

As far as the guitars are concerned my ideal would be for them to go to talented aspiring young guitar students with the proviso that they would be returned if they gave up the classical guitar. The obvious drawback to that is that someone would have to organise it. The obvious people would be the Bristol Spanish Guitar Centre, even though it has rather shrank from its heyday in the 60s and 70s when it employed three full time teachers and a plethora of students (well, two full time teachers plus Mike Watson who established it).
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:41 pm

David,
Hopefully you're thinking way ahead... It is interesting to ponder the question "Who might find this of value?" when looking through "things".
Would your local guitar society be able to absorb, disperse, and use the collection?
Steve

dory

Post by dory » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:24 pm

I would suggest your local public library. You could talk to them now-- hopefully decades before you need them.
Dory

Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:31 pm

If you have heirs (in the US), you can give them a significant tax break by bequeathing the collection to them as part of your estate and then they can donate the lot to a non-profit school or library. They will need to have it appraised, preferably by an appraiser who is knowledgeable of or able to research the value of the collection. They can keep the items that are meaningful to them and donate the remainder to an organization that will get use from the material. Consult a tax attorney. And start now to help them find a qualified appraiser.

When my father-in-law died, we inherited his extensive book and magazine collection, including several valuable books and collections. We selected a few volumes we felt had special value and meaning and had the remainder appraised and donated to the local high school. They created a special wing of the library and reading room with the collection dedicated and named for the deceased. We had a nice tax deduction that carried forward for several years. Maybe more importantly, we got to see the dedication in his name, and realized what he wanted-a lasting impact on his community. You can help this process now and make it easier for your heirs by researching potential benefactors and the value of your collection.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Kent

Post by Kent » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:35 pm

I think GFA would be interested. They have several channels for distribution to students.
All the Guitar Review starting from Vol 1 is probably worth close to a thousand USD as a complete set.

MarkL

Post by MarkL » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:38 pm

I'll take 'em of your hands :-)

doug

Post by doug » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:04 pm

We've recently updated our wills, and our attorney suggested that we not include too detailed a list in the will, because things can change. She suggested that we make sure our executor knows our wishes about specific items.
2017 Jason Wolverton spruce/maple, 640, "Luz Blanca"
2016 Kenny Hill New World Estudio 640, cedar
2015 Kenny Hill Performance 640, C/IR

Kenbobpdx

Post by Kenbobpdx » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:25 pm

Our guitar society has a lending library comprised of sheet music that has been donated. If I kick, I think my wife would just send it all to Goodwill. Except the guitar because we have an insurance policy on it and she knows its value.

Since you and I are probably close to the same age I should probably get on the will and last testament thing.
"If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe."
Abraham Lincoln

David Norton

Post by David Norton » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:40 pm

Thanks to all. No this is not a subtle announcement of my Impending Demise. I'm 58 and in reasonably good health. Yes, I am overweight and borderline diabetic, but I've known too many colleagues and church members who were fit athletes and/or avid sportsmen, who have passed away unexpectedly at much younger ages due to a variety of unforeseen medical and accidental reasons.

What brought this thought line on was that I was cleaning out some music over the weekend, and my wife suggested that I do a much deeper scrubbing of the inventory. Given that I did a major purge of music items and LPs just last summer when we moved, I don't feel so inclined. But it did get me wondering what I should do for longer term planning.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:34 pm

You might want to be careful about giving papers and sheet music to a library. I saw another thread on here where someone had done that and the library had thrown it all away.

Return to “Public Space”