What to do with CG scores/books/recordings "after I'm gone"?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Peskyendeavour

Re: What to do with CG scores/books/recordings "after I'm gone"?

Post by Peskyendeavour » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:24 am

The manuscripts of Segovia and other composers should be given to British Library or the equivalent of your country - one that knows how to best archive material to preserve their state so it does not degrade. That is the most important.

The rest, give it to a guitar student or enthusiast. Music schools often just throw away because there isn't 30 copies of each for a class. Libraries might not have the right readership. Gift it to a local guitar society is also good as there are a number of enthusiasts there who would want various parts of it or share it out or start their society library !

igycrctl

Post by igycrctl » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:21 am

I think you should have all of it buried with you, so you can enjoy your guitars and music in the afterlife.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:30 am

+1

I already have a team of Sumerians working on my sarcophagus.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:34 am

Rasputin wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:30 am
+1

I already have a team of Sumerians working on my sarcophagus.
Do they have a website? How much are they charging you?

I think I just want to fertilize a tree. I'm not looking forward to my future existence as a carbon atom, after all, do they go out on Saturday night? What kind of social life do they have?

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:59 am

larryguitar wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:34 am
Your mention of a website reminded me that I've been wondering what to do about my website when I go. It's now got around 250 arrangements (with more to come) and I wouldn't like to think they'll all be lost when I pop off. I'm quite a bit older than David, so it's a prospect that looms a bit larger for me. I've kept my eye open for organisations willing to keep a website going, but never come across one :(
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:14 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:59 am
larryguitar wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:34 am
Your mention of a website reminded me that I've been wondering what to do about my website when I go. It's now got around 250 arrangements (with more to come) and I wouldn't like to think they'll all be lost when I pop off. I'm quite a bit older than David, so it's a prospect that looms a bit larger for me. I've kept my eye open for organisations willing to keep a website going, but never come across one :(
I think the best thing to do is to distribute the content of the website to as many people as possible so that it can live on as something in the community. So, one site, and mirror sites, and an easy way to download everything. The more people who have the content, the better chance that it will exist in the future.

Six months before 9/11, I interviewed for a job on the 86th floor in Tower 2 of the World Trade Center. I did not get the job. One year after 9/11, the same company hired me. I learned that they lost had all of the software for the system they had been building for ten years. When they went to get the code from the offsite backup tapes, they realized that the system admin had never verified the backups, and that they were all bad!

They were saved because one employee had taken all of the code home on his laptop, against corporate policy, I might add, and they were able to use what he had copied to continue development.

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:41 pm

David
Glad to have more background re: the reason behind your inquiry. May you have many good guitaring years ahead! I faced this question recently as we downsized from a Colonial to a condo. I was desperate to find homes for materials lovingly collected over my lifetime affair with CG.
The local guitar society members were mildly to greatly excited as I set up a "free table" before several meetings. LP vinyl records even disappeared along with CDs, tapes, texts, sheet music etc. I had the joy of knowing it would be put to good use by students who might not have resources to expand their own CG material collections at this time Just a thought.
Sentimental note: Some of that sheet music had entered my own collection via my first private CG instructor, who invited me to partake of the treasures in his file cabinet when he entered his mid 70s. The CG circle goes unbroken.

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Post by Steve Ganz » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:44 am

Some great stories are emerging from this thread. Nothing focuses the mind like mortality.
Steve

TheCardMaker

Post by TheCardMaker » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:55 pm

One minute we're waiting on the postman to deliver our very first piece of sheet music (manuel ponce, balletto - incorrectly labelled as Weiss) - paid for from saving up a few weeks pocket money

Next thing we know we have a room full and it is a shrine to our love for our instrument which has lasted us a lifetime

It's a very good point to raise, and the (important) undercurrent is.... will it find its way to someone who will cherish it as we do?

BugDog

Post by BugDog » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:57 pm

Get some fake documentation stating that the stuff is really valuable and important, then give it to some one you don't like.

That way they'll either wind up holding on to it until they die because it's too valuable to throw away, or drive themselves crazy trying to recover some of it's "value".
BugDog
There's one in every crowd.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:45 pm

pogmoor wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:59 am
…. I've kept my eye open for organisations willing to keep a website going, but never come across one :(
Are you excluding this?
http://web.archive.org/web/201610030954 ... ot.org.uk/

larryguitar wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:34 pm
You might want to be careful about giving papers and sheet music to a library. I saw another thread on here where someone had done that and the library had thrown it all away.
Glad this was mentioned. "Charities" or libraries are not always run the way we assume or for the declared purposes.

DonaldSauter

Post by DonaldSauter » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:51 pm

Aren't there any BIG thinkers out there? Why not use your very impressive collection to start a non-lending Classical Guitar library/museum in a major city? (Shame on you, CathyCate for not thinking of this!) As the CG library/museum receives duplicate items, they can be sold as a source of funding, or passed on to growing CG library/museums in other major cities.

The CG library/museum wouldn't want my stuff, blanketed with personalized fingerings from the first note to the last, but, man, I have an autographed Segovia poster that is a KNOCKOUT.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:11 pm

David_Norton wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:40 pm
Thanks to all. No this is not a subtle announcement of my Impending Demise. I'm 58 and in reasonably good health. Yes, I am overweight and borderline diabetic, but I've known too many colleagues and church members who were fit athletes and/or avid sportsmen, who have passed away unexpectedly at much younger ages due to a variety of unforeseen medical and accidental reasons.

What brought this thought line on was that I was cleaning out some music over the weekend, and my wife suggested that I do a much deeper scrubbing of the inventory. Given that I did a major purge of music items and LPs just last summer when we moved, I don't feel so inclined. But it did get me wondering what I should do for longer term planning.
give it to anybody who will use it
Good luck!
Last edited by AndreiKrylov on Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd better speak by music...Please listen my guitar on most popular music streaming services on WWW. Thanks!

CathyCate

Post by CathyCate » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:28 pm

DonaldSauter wrote:
Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:51 pm
Aren't there any BIG thinkers out there? Why not use your very impressive collection to start a non-lending Classical Guitar library/museum in a major city? (Shame on you, CathyCate for not thinking of this!) As the CG library/museum receives duplicate items, they can be sold as a source of funding, or passed on to growing CG library/museums in other major cities.

The CG library/museum wouldn't want my stuff, blanketed with personalized fingerings from the first note to the last, but, man, I have an autographed Segovia poster that is a KNOCKOUT.
Great idea, Don! You give me way too much credit in the brain dept. :lol:
Here is hoping someone out there will "bell the cat." If I am still kicking, it will be the perfect excuse for yet another guitar related field trip.

Smith

Post by Smith » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:40 pm

I know my library won't be interested in the physical books.

Perhaps I might simply catalog everything. I could make an e-copy and give away to "the cloud". Storage problems (and costs) make a dollar windfall unlikely, except for rare items.

Return to “Public Space”