Fret Marker Decals

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
hesson11

Re: Fret Marker Decals

Post by hesson11 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:58 pm

TheEvan wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:43 am
I apply a small dot of White Out. It comes off with a bit of fingernail.
Me too. I've read that Sharon Isbn does the same thing. She even keeps a bottle in her guitar case, if I remember correctly.
-Bob

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:06 am

I'm thinking of using fret markers on the back of my French polished guitar to mark the spot where the suction cups on my guitar support go. Has anyone had issues with that, in terms of damaging the polish if you remove them? Or white out, for that matter.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:23 pm

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:00 pm
No fret markers is yet another piece of tradition that we can do better without.
I don't agree. No markings is more elegant, and you don't see markings on violins or cellos, etc. Markless fretboards is something we can aspire to, and tippex dots, reducing in number over time, help us get there.

The best argument in favour of markings may be that with a fretted instrument you can't so easily slide from a bum note to a correct note, as you can on a violin, etc.
1975 Calatayud y Gisbert, Yamaha CG131S.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:32 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:23 pm
Andrew Pohlman wrote:
No fret markers is yet another piece of tradition that we can do better without.
I don't agree. No markings is more elegant, and you don't see markings on violins or cellos, etc. Markless fretboards is something we can aspire to, and tippex dots, reducing in number over time, help us get there.

The best argument in favour of markings may be that with a fretted instrument you can't so easily slide from a bum note to a correct note, as you can on a violin, etc.
On violins and cellos, for beginning students, teachers put tape at 3rd and 5th position, on top of the fretboard, but the tape does not stay on for long. You learn where the notes are by sheer repetition, and by checking against the open strings.

Evocacion

Post by Evocacion » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:59 pm

Being a cheapskate, I use paper dots made with a hole punch glued on with a water-based glue stick. They can easily be removed with a damp cloth if necessary.

larryguitar

Post by larryguitar » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:49 pm

Evocacion wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:59 pm
Being a cheapskate, I use paper dots made with a hole punch glued on with a water-based glue stick. They can easily be removed with a damp cloth if necessary.
I think my surgical tape is a cheap solution, plus, it's multipurpose. You can use the tape to bind up your wounds.

Here is a picture of my fret marker:
SmallFretMarker.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by larryguitar on Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:53 pm

I'm not a fan of any inlay in the actual guitars fretboard, but side dots are welcome & unobtrusive.

For the guitars of mine that don't have any side markers, I use the dry transfer ones from SBM. My markers are applied on 5, 7 & 9. Since I only use 3 at a time, a 12 pack from SBM lasts forever.

Elegance is in the eye of the beholder. :)
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:54 pm

Andrew Fryer wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:23 pm
Andrew Pohlman wrote:

Playing Devil's advocate, and taking it to an extreme, you could play with your eyes taped shut. Eventually you would adapt and find all fret locations. :D

And for clarity, I'm talking about side dots, not fretboard inlay. Inlay can be ostentatious, but if well designed, can be very tasteful and elegant! I find it so much easier with side dots, and an ongoing struggle without any markers at all. Admittedly, my vision is not so good anymore. Why make it harder than it has to be? Side dots help me a lot.

I am also a fan of "form follows function". Radiused fretboards, dot markers, low action - all these "innovations" buck tradition but make it easier to play. I say, bring 'em on! But for those who want to cling tightly to traditional guitar construction - that is certainly available across Planet Earth.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:55 pm

Yes, I only have one side dot, no inlays of any kind (that's on the Calatayud)

corius

Post by corius » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:59 pm

Just bought some fret markers from Rosette via Classical Guitars Plus in the UK. Fed up with my son laughing at the huge blue sticky label nicked from my wall planner.

I then made the mistake of looking at their other products... oh well, it's only money!

JohnyZuper

Post by JohnyZuper » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:18 am

I've found little blemishes in the wood of the fretboard to be helpful too. Pity ebony tends to be very even. When I have a luthier build me an instrument I'll definitely inquire about a more patterned wood.

I use Rosette marker dots on my Burguet guitars. They got a bit damaged after a trip.
―Michaël Samyn.

KBell

Post by KBell » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:23 pm

I've had the same small pieces of scotch tape on 5th, 7th, 9th frets since '96!

Andrew Fryer

Post by Andrew Fryer » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:39 pm

Mårten

Post by Mårten » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:27 pm

Thanks for the paper hole punch idea, got that and glue stick in the cupboard 👍

Gwynedd

Post by Gwynedd » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:53 am

I got them from That Site That Send Guitar Stuff in the Post and they are great. My new guitar didn't have fret markers. (We love em, luthiers are like, nope, I'm not destroying the beauty of that ebony with a marker!) and it makes a difference for my scales. They are "Rosette" and they are I believe made by Chartpak (a company that makes graphic design tapes although I wonder why now with everything digitized. We used to buy thin tape to make charts and graphs for seminars in grad school.)

The dots are highly charged with static and cling on the finish. They come off if you have to take them off with a scrape of the fingernail. They are a bit fidgety to put on--mine kept dropping off the glassine paper backing. But I managed to get a set on the guitar on the proper frets (I did up to fret 12) and they REALLY help me, especially playing scales.

Return to “Public Space”