How long does it take you to change strings?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
kirolak

Re: How long does it take you to change strings?

Post by kirolak » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:11 am

About 45 minutes, with a hand operated string winder which I hate as it keeps slipping off; must invest in a better one. I don't cut off any strings, I keep them in case of future breakages.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:18 pm

About 45 minutes, with a hand operated string winder which I hate as it keeps slipping off; must invest in a better one. I don't cut off any strings, I keep them in case of future breakages.
When I got my new guitar (2 years old now) I decided to splurge on a stupid-costly rosewood hand-operated string winder (actually you can get them it many exotic woods). Almost hate to admit it but it's the best one I've ever used. Long enough in the handle to clear the guitar head, the slot is deep enough and shaped so the pegs don't slip. Glad it turned out to be functional as well as good looking, and a bonus that it works so well.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:23 pm

Quarter of an hour and hours of tuning :lol:
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

KBell

Post by KBell » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:23 pm

About 30 minutes to just do a quick change - but if I take enough time to actually effectively stretch out the strings as I'm tuning it up I'd say realistically about 50-60 minutes

....also I use pretty high tension strings (savarez 500aj) without a string winder (fear of damaging the tuning pegs), so it feels like it takes longer but that might just be the fatigue in my hand from turning the pegs!

Luis_Br

Post by Luis_Br » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Around 25 min for all strings with a manual winder, but I hardly change all strings at once (except when I want to try a different new set). I change bass strings more often, around two basses changes for each trebles strings change. Once a year I remove all strings at once for guitar cleaning.

Thura2017

Post by Thura2017 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:26 am

Yeah. 30 minutes including cleaning the fretboard and headstock.
Yamaha C70
Yamaha CG111s
Yamaha CG112Ms
Yamaha CG151c
Yamaha CG171s
Yamaha CG180sca
Yamaha CG192s
Yamaha SLG130nw
Antonio Picado model 60
Amalio Burguet 3A
Alhambra 5PA PT
Antonio Lorca model 12
Cuenca model 40R
Esteve 4st
Takamine C128
L Luthier Sig 08

Briant

Post by Briant » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:32 am

This is a job that i keep putting off. Mainly because it interfears with playing time. Finally it took 40 mins this morning, without using a string winder. I will trim the ends in a few days time once everything has settled down. I expect to tune 5 or 6 times throughout the day and before i go to work in the morning .
My wife will object if i get up in the night to tune my guitar!

vesa

Post by vesa » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:33 pm

8 minutes. :-D
Vesa Kuokkanen

Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

Claughton

Post by Claughton » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:36 pm

Normally I will replace them all one at a time and it takes me about 45 minutes without a winder. I am a bit surprised how many contributors here seem to replace only individual strings . The sound of new strings is completely different to old knackered ones . I usually leave the guitar for a week before playing it after changing strings to give them time to settle and meantime play one of my other guitars otherwise I get really frustrated by continual re-tuning.

Return to “Public Space”