Alonso Mudarra and the vihuela

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
DonaldSauter

Alonso Mudarra and the vihuela

Post by DonaldSauter » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:58 pm

I've redone my Alonso Mudarra tablature page with nice tablature in pdf files:

http://donaldsauter.com/alonso-mudarra.htm

The original page with ASCII tablature caused quite a surge of interest in Mudarra back in the late 1990s.

Besides the much nicer tab, I've worked up simplified versions for pieces with "tough" spots (almost all of them!) Basically, I just weeded out an unimportant note here and there so the music can flow. Think of the simplified versions as "ready to go" freebies. Feel free to start with Mudarra's originals, by all means.

Here are some of the selling points of Mudarra's "Tres Libros de Musica en Cifras" (1546):

- Classy music that works in the introspective mode, or the power drive mode.

- The well-known "Fantasia X in the manner of Luduvico". There's one surprising spot that almost all of the transcribers "correct", but is brilliant as Mudarra intended

- The earliest known pieces for guitar, one of which is in an "old tuning" (4th string tuned to C).

- Mudarra's "Guardame las vacas", which you can compare with Narvaez well-known version.

- A second "Guardame las vacas", for guitar.

- Small pieces making an easy introduction to tablature, such as the 3 Fantasias facil and the lively Tientos in eight modes.

- Transcriptions of church music from the 16th. C. (That's time travelling!)

- A left hand workout!

- If you already play tablature, you can spin through these pieces at sight.

- If you're new to tablature, you'll be spinning through inj ust a few minutes. Tablature practically plays itself.

David Norton

Re: Alonso Mudarra and the vihuela

Post by David Norton » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:55 pm

Thanks for this, Donald. Quite an accomplishment.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:48 am

:merci: so much for sharing the link to the website! So much wonderful music available! :bye:

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:13 am

Awesome! I grabbed one straight away :)
"Speed is the enemy of emotion." - Emilio Pujol Vilarrubi

DonaldSauter

Post by DonaldSauter » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:55 pm

Thanks for the kind comments. I've just given the main page a face lift, making Mudarra's titles stand out. I hope that's not too slender an excuse for bringing this thread back to the top for a moment. :-)

http://donaldsauter.com/alonso-mudarra.htm

Should have mentioned in the list of "selling points", playing through Mudarra makes you one really cool guitar dude. I mean, how many of your guitar friends can make the same claim? And there will still be plenty of room on the herd path when you're done. (Just kidding around; I know there is a virtually unlimited world of guitar music out there crying to be played.)

And I'll admit, I'm always hoping to hear back from guitarists who have never played tablature before. I remember thinking, holy smokes, I'm reading tablature as well in 5 minutes as it took me 5 years to reach with music notation.

I also like to tell the story of a clarinetist friend who had never played guitar. I put a guitar in her hands and a piece of classical guitar tablature in front of her. She played the piece without error on the first shot... and laughed about what an easy instrument the guitar is!

Return to “Public Space”