Basic Hand Mechanics of MI Si Sol Re

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Alex Pineiro

Basic Hand Mechanics of MI Si Sol Re

Post by Alex Pineiro » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:11 pm

Hello,

I can't seem to find anything on the site to specifically address, what I am sure is this very basic question, however, as a new member here just starting the exercises in prep for the next classes I hope to be a part of, it is very important to me to not begin with an incorrect understanding.

The question pertains to the right hand (assuming right hand play). As the fingers climb the ladder of High E, B, G, in the exercise Mi, Si, Sol, Re, "are the proper mechanics of the hand to push forward slightly with the entire arm in order to allow room for the fingers to climb? OR Is the hand raised slightly as it goes by moving the arm only from the elbow? OR is it purely a motion of curling up the finger as they climb the strings in a slightly tighter curl?" This last option seems to be one that could induce more tension in the hand. I know it seems a tiny thing, but if anyone has any insight as to the actual proper mechanics of motion to be aimed for here, I would be ever grateful.

guitarrista

Re: Basic Hand Mechanics of MI Si Sol Re

Post by guitarrista » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:53 pm

I am assuming that you are talking about either single finger or alternating (as in i-m) finger "walking" - as opposed to having one finger per string as in a-m-i-p for e-b-G-D, as the latter setup would not need to involve hand re-positioning as you play each string. Right?

If so, out of the 3 options you mention, if I understand them correctly, the second one would be my preference as that one preserves the same hand setup and angle of attack/pluck at each string as you move from string to string. It does involve lifting a bit from the shoulder (not the elbow; the elbow moves because you are lifting your upper arm from the shoulder. I suppose this is what you are saying too, just thinking of "lifting from the elbow").

Hopefully professional guitar teachers will chime in too - they might have arguments for teaching it differently than what I describe above.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

BugDog

Re: Basic Hand Mechanics of MI Si Sol Re

Post by BugDog » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:13 pm

I'm just a student myself.

That said, I think you need to learn to be able to move the entire arm in order to allow room for the fingers to climb and raise the hand slightly as it goes by moving the arm only from the elbow. Both motions can be used independently or together. It's something that tends to be an individual preference, but you need to be able to eventually do both.

I don't think you want to be curling up the fingers.
BugDog
There's one in every crowd.

Return to “Public Space”