Travelling Abroad With A Guitar

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Montgomery

Travelling Abroad With A Guitar

Post by Montgomery » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:12 pm

I'm looking at moving from the UK to Cyprus and I want to take my guitars with me. I'm concerned that they may get damaged during the flight, or at least when the baggage handlers load and unload them. Has anyone got any experience/advice?

Brooke Martin

Re: Travelling Abroad With A Guitar

Post by Brooke Martin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:49 pm

Airlines generally allow instruments such as guitars and violins to be taken on board as carry-on luggage as long as there's room in the overhead racks or under your seat. Sometimes they'll store it for you at the back of the plane or in the coat closet, if there's room.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:59 pm

The airline might allow you to get ONE guitar into the passenger cabin as Brooke suggests; however guitars PLURAL? Not likely to happen.

How about travelling to Cyprus by car? Is that an option for you? Seems doable and there are actually links to how to do it exactly.

Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

eno

Post by eno » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:37 pm

If any of your guitars have Brazilian RW make sure you get CITES paperwork for them
Paulino Bernabe 'India' 2001
Masaru Kohno No.6 1967
Rokutaro Nakade 1967
Mitsuru Tamura No.800 1969

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:46 pm

I'll probably be taking four so I guess taking them on the plane might be out of the question. None of them have Brazilian rosewood so I should be ok with that. I hadn't planned on driving to Cyprus but I will have a look into that, could be a fun option! :D Thanks for your replies.

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:44 pm

Driving through the Balkans and Turkey with a big load may get complicated and very expensive.
a ferry where you can bring your car (or just your guitars) is probably a much better option. You can go directly from Southampton or Bristol to Limassol. Or you can drive to Salerno, Italy (a much easier drive) and take a ferry there to Limassol.
Yamaha GC42S

Francisco

Post by Francisco » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:25 pm

Yamaha GC42S

Andrew Pohlman

Post by Andrew Pohlman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:33 pm

I don't know about flying in the UK, but I do know about San Francisco to Australia and back. This may be of generic help to you.

On International flights, the overhead bins are too small for a guitar, so no carry on allowed. You are only allowed two pieces of luggage without paying extra. That extra adds up to large amounts of money. Some flight allowed only one carry on and one checked bag - see paying extra. You will check your guitar(s) via "oversized luggage" - see paying extra. In the US, I've seen the baggage handlers throwing instruments. That did not happen on the international flights.

I personally would ONLY take a beater guitar on a plane flight. Having said that, my Gore survived flying from Sydney to Perth and back again, and of course, all the way back to San Francisco in a Hiscox Pro II.
2013 Rodriguez FF Sabicas blanco
2015 Trevor Gore custom Neoclassical
- redwood top, Palo dorado B+Ss.

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:03 am

Montgomery wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:46 pm
I'll probably be taking four so I guess taking them on the plane might be out of the question. None of them have Brazilian rosewood so I should be ok with that. I hadn't planned on driving to Cyprus but I will have a look into that, could be a fun option! :D Thanks for your replies.
Actually, it occurs to me now that if you buy full-price seats for your four guitars, they might allow that and then you will have them all on-board in the cabin. But you have to check beforehand with the airline if that is allowed (for more than one guitar). If so, I hope you give them funny names as you buy the tickets :lol:
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

SunnyDee

Post by SunnyDee » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:20 am

My experience flying in and around UK and UK to Spain several months ago, none of the flights allowed the guitars on (I didn't try buying extra seats). When I was looking for best deal, it seemed Jet2 was the better choice for extra luggage. I pack extra clothes very tightly around the guitar in the hard case so it can't move at all, and put a tough bungie cord around the neck part on the outside of the case to keep it closed. Don't put a capo or anything else in the case because security will make you open and unpack if they see it in xray. The case took some minor scuffs, got wet, had open latches, etc, but the guitar was fine. I was able to check it at the gate or as special baggage each time, which made me feel a bit better, but it gets unloaded the same, onto the cart and belt, either way.

I took 12 flights last year with it. Some on board, some not, none on board in Ireland, UK, and EU. All the planes were too small.
"Militantly left-handed."

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

First guitar was a vintage Russian 7-string classical.

SunnyDee

Post by SunnyDee » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:26 am

Andrew Pohlman wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:33 pm
In the US, I've seen the baggage handlers throwing instruments. That did not happen on the international flights.
Not anymore. By law, in the US, you can take your guitar on board with you as long as there is room when you board. On a standard size plane, priority boarding or simply asking to board early is pretty good insurance.
"Militantly left-handed."

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

First guitar was a vintage Russian 7-string classical.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:42 am

Have you considered just having the guitars shipped to you at your new address. Get a friend to send them or stop at the shipping company on your way to the airport and schedule their arrival the day after you get there.
Hauser III 2014!

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:35 pm

It seems that flights from the UK to Cyprus do not allow you to take a guitar on board into the cabin. I have considered shipping them separately as I would like to ship my iMac and recording monitors as well. That may be the way to go.

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:31 am

I found a company to ship 3 guitars, my iMac and a few other bits. They will pack it, insure it, ship it and deliver for just under £500.00. I'm going for that so let's see if they arrive safely.

Carlos

Post by Carlos » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:38 am

Montgomery wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:31 am
I found a company to ship 3 guitars, my iMac and a few other bits. They will pack it, insure it, ship it and deliver for just under £500.00. I'm going for that so let's see if they arrive safely.
That sounds like a good plan! Make sure the guitars are well packed (guitar in the case with no room to move, case in a paper box and stabilised with foam peanuts or something similar, and a "fragile" label on the box). Have a safe move to Cyprus!

Return to “Public Space”