Show Me Your 7-String Classical Guitar

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
DavisComposer85

Show Me Your 7-String Classical Guitar

Post by DavisComposer85 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:05 am

Hi everyone, I'm young and don't have many experiences guitar player.

I'm curious is there anyone here has own 7-String Classical Guitar?

Can you show me your guitar photos?

Can you tell me the specs and where did you buy it?

Do you know what brand of 7-String Classical Guitar are great? I'm looking for dark and warm tone.

Altophile

Re: Shows Me Your 7-String Classical Guitar

Post by Altophile » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:36 pm

Hi Davis,

I think that descriptions like "dark and warm tone" are a bit ambiguous and probably a bit subjective. The first question that should probably be asked is: How much do you plan to spend on your own 7 string classical guitar? If you can spend $2,500/$5,000 or more, then there will be many luthiers who will work with you to produce an instrument that meets your needs. However, if your price range is $499/$1000, then you won't be able to find a luthier who will build you an instrument; you'll have to find one that is mass produced, and there aren't many choices.

There are only a few companies that I'm aware of that currently mass produce 7 string classical guitars. Ibanez makes a 7 string with a cutaway, which has a sold spruce top, laminated mahogany back and sides, and a rosewood fret-board. This is a nice entry-level seven string classical guitar, but I can't say that I'd describe the tone as "dark and warm". Try one out and see what you think.

Rondo Music makes a budget 7 string classical with fanned frets for about $499, but you won't typically find them in retail stores, so you probably won't have an opportunity to audition one to see if you like the tone. Plus, IMO, a fan-fretted guitar that isn't produced to the scale of the original Brahms guitar, thus allowing a high A string, is of dubious value. The whole point, IMO, of the fan-fretted instrument with a slanted bridge is to allow one to extend the guitar's range in BOTH the bass and treble areas. I've informed Rondo Music about this and we'll see if they bite and begin to offer a budget Brahms.

Giannini makes a seven string classical guitar for about $499, but it's from the budget series of Giannini guitars and I've been warned to steer clear of these. I can't say whether these warnings are warranted or not.

I personally own a Giannini Asturias, which retails for over $1,000, but I was able to get one on e - b a y for about $750 (can't remember the exact price). You can see another iteration of my guitar, here:

https://reverb.com/item/2609380-giannin ... zil-gnc4-7

I'm very happy with my Asturias seven string. It has a solid red cedar top, solid mahogany back and sides, and an ebony fret-board. I think that "dark and warm" fits as a description of the tone, at least to my ear, but I can't say whether you would also hear it that way. Having that extra bass string makes many pieces a whole lot easier on my old suffering hands.

The nice thing about my Asturias is that it's constructed in a way that will make converting it to an eight string rather easy. Drill a new whole in the head-stock, replace the nut and bridge, and I'll have an eight string, albeit with a somewhat narrow fingerboard for finger-style.

~Sean
Last edited by Altophile on Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

DavisComposer85

Post by DavisComposer85 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:49 am

Hi Sean, thanks so much for reply! Lots of great information!

I have clicked the link, you got beautiful 7-String guitar!

I'm willing to pay just to get great sounding 7-string guitar, but don't know anything about luthiers to make custom 7-string guitar.

Any recommendation about luthiers that make great sounding 7-string guitar?

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:37 am

My YouTube channel shows me playing my 7 string McConnell spruce top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DQ370P ... iAVEKJpaar

KP

DavisComposer85

Post by DavisComposer85 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:47 am

Kurt Penner wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:37 am
My YouTube channel shows me playing my 7 string McConnell spruce top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DQ370P ... iAVEKJpaar

KP
Hi Kurt, I like your 7 string guitar tone!

May I know your guitar specs? Where did you buy this guitar?

Kurt Penner

Post by Kurt Penner » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:41 am

Sent you PM

KP

[/quote]

[/quote]

DavisComposer85

Post by DavisComposer85 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:55 am

Kurt Penner wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:41 am
Sent you PM

KP

[/quote]
[/quote]

Hi Kurt, thank you very much!

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:51 am

DavisComposer85 wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:49 am
I've never purchased a luthier-made guitar before, so I'm probably not the person to ask, but I like the look and sound of the guitars I've seen by Joseph Redman. Heikki Rousu specializes in Alto guitars, but I trust that he would also build you a seven string if you asked nicely:-)

You might want to ask this question on the Multi-Stringed guitars part of the Luthier's section of the site, here:

http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/v ... .php?f=131

~Sean

DavisComposer85

Post by DavisComposer85 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:34 pm

Altophile wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:51 am
DavisComposer85 wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:49 am
I've never purchased a luthier-made guitar before, so I'm probably not the person to ask, but I like the look and sound of the guitars I've seen by Joseph Redman. Heikki Rousu specializes in Alto guitars, but I trust that he would also build you a seven string if you asked nicely:-)

You might want to ask this question on the Multi-Stringed guitars part of the Luthier's section of the site, here:

http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/v ... .php?f=131

~Sean
Hi Sean, you are so professional and helpful! Thanks very much again to answer many of my questions!

I'm still new to this forum, I will take some time to check everything.

tubeman

Re: Show Me Your 7-String Classical Guitar

Post by tubeman » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:02 pm

This was my 2007 Greg Byers 7-string. I just couldn't adjust to that extra string, so I sold it. Very nice guitar, though. (You might find one in the $10,000+ range if anyone is selling theirs.)

One of the neatest features was the ability to quckly change the pitch of he 7th string:

Greg Byers 2016 cedar/Ind
Randy Angella 2009 sp/Br (for sale)

DavisComposer85

Post by DavisComposer85 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:47 am

tubeman wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:02 pm
This was my 2007 Greg Byers 7-string. I just couldn't adjust to that extra string, so I sold it. Very nice guitar, though. (You might find one in the $10,000+ range if anyone is selling theirs.)

One of the neatest features was the ability to quckly change the pitch of he 7th string:

Hi tube man, you got beautiful 7 String guitar! Thanks for sharing the photos!

tothebroccolifields

Post by tothebroccolifields » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:39 am

I've owned both a 7-string Giannini, as well as a 7-string guitar bar Bartolex guitars. The bartloex costs more than the Giannini for a reason. The Giannini had a thin nasally sound (both guitars were cedar). From what I've heard Giannini is really hit and miss, so it could be that I got a sub par instrument. I was very happy with the Bartolex. I played in a quartet against guitars that cost 4 to 5 times as much, and the Bartolex did fairly well. They also offer the same guitar in spruce.

DavisComposer85

Post by DavisComposer85 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:44 am

tothebroccolifields wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:39 am
I've owned both a 7-string Giannini, as well as a 7-string guitar bar Bartolex guitars. The bartloex costs more than the Giannini for a reason. The Giannini had a thin nasally sound (both guitars were cedar). From what I've heard Giannini is really hit and miss, so it could be that I got a sub par instrument. I was very happy with the Bartolex. I played in a quartet against guitars that cost 4 to 5 times as much, and the Bartolex did fairly well. They also offer the same guitar in spruce.
Do you mind to show your 7-string guitar photos and specs?

Just want to take it as reference.

tothebroccolifields

Post by tothebroccolifields » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:33 am

DavisComposer85 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:44 am

I actually sold both of the guitars since I've decided to play 19th century guitar. You can also hear the Bartolex here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sopEV6B02VU&t=382s
I'm the one on the right. I was furthest away from the camera, so I wasn't picked up quite as much.

tothebroccolifields

Post by tothebroccolifields » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:12 am

DavisComposer85 wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:44 am

Also worth mentioning that Bartolex has pictures on their website that do the guitar better justice.

Return to “Public Space”