Classical Guitar Players With 5-Fingers Right Hand Techniques

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
DavisComposer85

Classical Guitar Players With 5-Fingers Right Hand Techniques

Post by DavisComposer85 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:28 am

Hi, is there any classical guitarist that plays with 5-fingers right hand techniques?

I only know Charles Postlewate does this way.

It would be great if he do offer Skype lessons to guide people with 5-Fingers right hand techniques.

Chantysboy7

Re: Classical Guitar Players With 5-Fingers Right Hand Techniques

Post by Chantysboy7 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:25 am

Not sure if you've seen this or not.

http://classicalguitarmagazine.com/the- ... technique/

or this,

Contemporary Anthology of Solo Guitar Music For Five Fingers of the Right Hand

available on Amazon

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:52 am

I'm not aware of anybody with a high profile performing career who has adopted the whole Postlewate approach.

The article cited above seems very balanced, but then it was by Colin Cooper, who got most things right. Though the article cites Aguado mentions this usage, does anybody have any idea about that?

The book is the one by Postlewate.

Postlewate was kind enough to send me all his publications and recordings after I'd made some reference to this in CG magazine. To be honest, I felt that the one thing that undermined the whole enterprise, as it was presented by Postlewate was that the tone he was making was distinctly poor, and close reference to the DVD suggested this was because in order to include the little finger all the time, his RH position was extremely low, impairing the action of the other fingers. Obviously that is a limited amount of information upon which to form a view as to the whys and wherefores.

One could get in touch with Postlewate easily enough and ask direct if he does Skype.

I use all 5 in chords such as the end of Villa Lobos Prelude 4, and the little finger for artificial harmonics. I did years ago have a student who had self-taught, and like Villa Lobos, had seen little reason not to use it.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:22 pm

I think Remi Boucher does quite a bit, but I couldn't find any specific examples. I was told he often uses all RH fingers in tremolo...?

Of course, there are also many contemporary pieces which push the boundaries of traditional technique.
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

DavisComposer85

Post by DavisComposer85 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:26 pm

Hey Chantysboy7, thank you for the link!

Stephen Kenyon and Dirck Nagy, thank you for reply to this post!

Non Tabius

Post by Non Tabius » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:07 am

Sometimes I bring in the "pinkie" on tremolo if the rest get a little tired.For some reason I find the i and c(chico) seem to work strongly together regardless of the distance between them. :idea: :idea:

DavisComposer85

Post by DavisComposer85 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:14 pm

Non Tabius wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:07 am
Sometimes I bring in the "pinkie" on tremolo if the rest get a little tired.For some reason I find the i and c(chico) seem to work strongly together regardless of the distance between them. :idea: :idea:
Hi Non Tabius, thanks for insight! I should experiment this!

dory

Post by dory » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:25 pm

I wonder if it depends on the relative length of our fingers. I have short fingers overall but suspect my pinkie may be particularly short compared to the other fingers. My linkie comes half way up the middle joint of my ring finger on my right hand. Strangely it is noticeably longer on my left hand, perhaps because it gets a lot of use? I mean even shorter than most people's. I am going to start looking at other people's hands to see. I know I have seen some people with particularly long pinkies although I don't know if any of them are guitarists. I do occasionally use my pinkie in playing chords although generally not when I am in a guitar lesson. I have gotten interested now. I will check out the video of the man mentioned above to see how long his pinkies are.
Dory

dory

Post by dory » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:40 pm

Leonhard Beck plays with five fingers. (It is pretty easy to get me interested in a new idea.)
https://youtu.be/ukQwsE-Bxng
Dory

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:57 pm

My teacher has done it at least in the past as he has mentioned on a number of occasions that he used to do exercises for the little finger in case he wanted/needed to use it.

DavisComposer85

Post by DavisComposer85 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:26 am

Dory, I don't have long finger like most Western people, so they have more advantage.

Thank you for the link!

Simonm, yes! I think we should try every possibilities.

entschwindet

Post by entschwindet » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:33 pm

It probably won't surprise you but Yamashita's transcriptions regularly call upon the little finger for chords, melodies, arpeggios, tremolos, one-finger tremolo etc etc.

I think many teachers advise training it to strengthen 'a', I do a little bit of 'ch' practise (via Iznaola) and I've noticed the difference – 'a' feels better and 'ch' doesn't float around quite so much.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:24 pm

I play 5 fingers right hand...
I promoted it as I could for years in this forum...
not many were interested
most of my albums recorded using 5-Fingers Right Hand Technique.
I'd better speak by music...Please listen my guitar on most popular music streaming services on WWW. Thanks!

Matt Molloy

Post by Matt Molloy » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:50 pm

Always played five fingers on the right hand as I was also a pianist so it just seemed logical. When I brought it up with my teacher in college (Neil Smith) he just shrugged and said that one of his mates (Stepan Rak) used it so carry on but warned me that others might have a different opinion (indeed, some years later, I went to a teacher who told me not to use it. I left and didn't go back).

I find it's better for things like artificial harmonics (more distance and flexibility between the playing fingers so the harmonic rings clearer) and for certain arpeggio patterns (Villa Lobos Etude 11) it's far more logical than some of the contortions I've seen from those who don't use it.

I was vaguely interested in Postlewate's approach but, as I already used it for what I wanted, I didn't bother going out of my way for it.

Cheers,

Matt.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order." Eric Morcambe

Proud member of the LGCI.

Guitar: James Lister 2009 SP/MP.

AndreiKrylov

Post by AndreiKrylov » Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:14 pm

Here is the almost the same topic I started in 2009 here...
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=35856&hilit=little+finger
I'd better speak by music...Please listen my guitar on most popular music streaming services on WWW. Thanks!

Return to “Public Space”