Jesu in D Maj? Has anyone heard this arrangement?

Discussions relating to the classical guitar which don't fit elsewhere.
Altophile

Jesu in D Maj? Has anyone heard this arrangement?

Post by Altophile » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:31 am

Hello all,

I have loved Bach's "Joy of Man's Desiring" for many, many years (who hasn't?), and while I've always preferred Rick Foster's guitar arrangement in C Maj (very difficult), I couldn't help but wonder how the piece might sound on the guitar in D Maj. My question emerged because I found myself thinking that this piece simply sounds better on the guitar in a higher key. Most entry-level arrangements are in G Maj, which sounds nice enough, and a few have arranged the piece in A Maj, which sounds better still. The highest key that I've heard this piece on the guitar is Rick Foster's arrangement, which I've heretofore considered the ultimate guitar arrangement.

To my surprise, today I just happened to stumble upon an arrangement in D Maj by Jose de Azpiazu. It looks to be every bit as difficult as Rick Foster's C Maj arrangement, but I'd really like to hear it!

Is anyone here familiar with Azpiazu's D Maj arrangement of this piece? Has it been recorded? I'm dying to hear it, but I can't find a performance of it on Youtube or Amazon:-(

~Sean

ddray

Re: Jesu in D Maj? Has anyone heard this arrangement?

Post by ddray » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:35 am

Is that the arrangement this gentleman is playing here? The arranger is listed as Lupe de Azpiazu though.

https://youtu.be/wBmG5letHD4

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:55 am

Last edited by Cipher on Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

ddray

Post by ddray » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:08 am

Cipher wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:55 am
ddray wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:35 am
Is that the arrangement this gentleman is playing here? The arranger is listed as Lupe de Azpiazu though.

No this is definitely not Azpiazu's arr. because it's in the key of A. Altophile said in his topic title and in his post as well that Azpiazu's is in the key of D.
Well it's apparently *some* Azpiazu's arrangement ;) My bad.

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:12 am

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:05 am

ddray wrote:

No, that's not it, but thanks for trying to find it for me:-) Azpiazu's arrangement is at least as "busy" as Rick Foster's C Maj version (6 or more notes per triplet, avg.), while the one in the video looks to be more stripped down.

~Sean
Last edited by Altophile on Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cipher

Post by Cipher » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:57 pm

Altophile wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:05 am
ddray wrote:

while the one in the video looks to be more stripped down.

~Sean
Yes and more importantly this arr. here in the linked video is in the key of A and the Jose de Azpiazu arr. you're searching for is in D. :D

Altophile

Post by Altophile » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:01 pm

Cipher wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:57 pm
Altophile wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:05 am
ddray wrote:

while the one in the video looks to be more stripped down.

~Sean
Yes and more importantly this arr. here in the linked video is in the key of A and the Jose de Azpiazu arr. you're searching for is in D. :D
Right, and the one in the video is by Lupe whereas the one I'm looking to hear is by Jose.

~Sean

Return to “Public Space”